Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie

Lord Edgware Dies (1933)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (8)

English (37)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (41)
A BBC radio drama performed by a full cast of actors.

Jane Wilkinson was once the toast of Broadway, but now she is better known for her advantageous marriage to Lord Edgware. But the marriage isn’t a happy one, and Lady Edgware has another man in mind. Trouble is that Lord Edgware is adamantly opposed to divorce. Jane asks Hercule Poirot to convince Edgware to grant her a divorce. She even somewhat jokingly admits to Poirot that she’d do anything to end her miserable marriage. Which really complicates matters when Edgware is found stabbed in the neck a day later. Thank heavens that Jane Wilkinson was at a dinner party and everyone there can confirm her alibi.

Poirot is, as usual, intent on ferreting out the truth. All these suspects! All these conflicting stories! Colonel Hastings is by his side, but he acts mostly as a foil, asking questions that allow Poirot to expound on his thought processes. And those “little grey cells” get a workout!

These mysteries are my go-to comfort food of reading. Christie writes wonderful characters, even if she uses stereotypes that are jarring to modern sensibilities. She’s also very good at crafting intricate plot twists.

The BBC radio drama is wonderfully acted, but I was glad I also had a text version of the book. I find it interesting that I hadn’t noticed before how much of the action in these mysteries is handled through dialogue. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 29, 2018 |
A beautiful but dim American actress seeks out Hercule Poirot to extricate her from her unfortunate marriage to a cruel member of the English aristocracy so she can marry a less-cruel and richer member of the English aristocracy. She swears that if Poirot can't help her, she'll have to kill Lord Edgware. Lo and behold, Lord Edgware dies and the actress is seen in the vicinity. But with her ironclad alibi, she can't possibly be the murderer. So who done it, and why? A nice puzzle with lots of suspects and a satisfying denouement. ( )
  rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
Lord Edgware Dies - Christie
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser
3 stars

Multiple red herrings and a twisty, turny plotline. It’s a possibly exaggerated portrait of a narcissistic, amoral, personality. But then again, maybe not. Poirot, who is strictly moral, has his own considerable narcissism. Nevertheless, his little grey cells were taxed to their limits to find the actual murderer among all the false trails.

I had some trouble keeping all of the characters straight. Listening to Hugh Fraser was, as usual, a joy. Following the convolutions of the mystery plot was more of a challenge. I was tempted to get pen and paper to keep track of the suspects. My little grey cells are not quite as sharp as Poirot’s. ( )
  msjudy | Nov 28, 2017 |
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the story unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
A typically solid entry in the Christie canon, with Poirot acting typically annoying at times. But there's also a solid mystery and a fair number of plot twists to keep the reader guessing. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Dr. and Mrs. Campbell Thompson
The memory of the public is short.
aka Thirteen at dinner

A PROPOSITION FOR POIROT
It was absolutely indecent! It was also highly irregular, completely illegal, and dangerous. What the beautiful actress had actually suggested to Hercule Poirot was the the plan the perfect way to get rid of her husband.

Of course the idea of Poirot being involved in such a scheme was absurd - that is, until the husband turned up dead, and the actress turned up with the most perfect alibi ever invented ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042509961X, Mass Market Paperback)

Sure, actress Jane Wilkinson wants out of a miserable marriage, but is she guilty of stabbing her way out of it? She claims she's innocent. Hercule Poirot wonders if she's giving the performance of a lifetime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

Poirot had been present when Jane bragged of her plan to 'get rid of' her estranged husband. Now the monstrous man was dead. And yet the great Belgian detective couldn't help feeling he was being taken for a ride. After all, how could Jane have stabbed Lord Edgware to death in his library at exactly the same time she was seen dining with friends? And what could be her motive now that the aristocrat had finally granted her a divorce?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible