Towards Zero by Agatha Christie

Towards Zero (1944)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Superintendent Battle (5)

1,479None5,005 (3.65)43

English (15)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (19)
A Christie classic, one of her personal favorites. One of her best tricks is to let you figure things out then show you where you went wrong. After going down several paths, she doubles back and shows you how you were right the first time, but let her fool anyway. This features Superintendent Battle who deserved a series of his own. ( )
  Leischen | Dec 17, 2013 |
This one's about functions. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
It's been some time since a murder mystery has imposed on my mind so heavily. Even when this mystery had all its clothes on, you could guess the promise it contained. I kept thinking, and the question and the curiosity, the suspense and the wonder, they kept occupying my mind. As the pages flew by, the time to say goodbye to Inspector Battle came too soon. At least Miss Marple starred in 13 of her books. Poor Battle was shunted aside in the public's stampede for Poirot.

I guessed wrongly regarding the culprit. I fell for one of the many false trails painted by Mrs Christie. I react strongly to the narration of life and how it's being wasted, in more ways than one, by this great author. The main characters here are Nevile, Audrey, Kay, Ted, and Mary. The most mysterious of them was Audrey, whose secret feeling was not anger, love, or sadness, but fear. I never thought that she was the culprit, and I could have guessed rightly who was, but then I got waylaid.

I was amused by the inimitable Mr Treves. When an author like Christie has a limited number of brushstrokes at her disposal for painting a character, then one like Treves often walks a fine line between brilliance and parody. I was very entertained by this situation, and Mr Treves played like a retarded and oblivious person who thinks he's being very observative. Finally after being slightly disappointed by the real solution, I was cheered by the downright creepy lovey dovey ending. Agatha Christie must generate a happy ending, no matter what. But then she probably knew her audience too well. Nevertheless this book has secured its perfect score, and time has come for me to escape, even if some people in the book don't want to! ( )
  Jiraiya | Jul 5, 2013 |
Since this is the first Agatha Christie I read, the ending really had me. It was one of those "how could I have not seen that coming?". It's a classic murder-mystery story which I love, and you can never forget the first novel of the author you read. Christie said this was one of her favorite novels to write, and I can see why. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |
What is the connection between a failed suicide attempt, a wrongful accusation of theft against a schoolgirl and the romantic life of a famous tennis player? To the casual observer, perhaps nothing, but to Superintendent Battle of Scotland Yard, these are the only potential clues available to him when he's sent to investigate a murder that takes place during a house party being held at the seaside home of an elderly bedridden lady. I did really enjoy this book. It's actually the second Agatha Christie book that I've ever read and I give it an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Mar 19, 2012 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volpatti, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

The group round the fireplace was nearly all composed of lawyers or those who had an interest in the law.
The man in the hospital bed shifted his body slightly and stifled a groan.
aka Come and Be Hanged

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981309, Mass Market Paperback)

"I like a good detective story, but they begin in the wrong place! They begin with the murder. But the murder is the end. The story begins long before that." So remarks esteemed criminologist Mr. Treves. Truer words have never been spoken, for a psychopathic killer has insinuated himself , with cunning manipulation, into a quiet village on the river Tern. But who is his intended victim? What are his unfathomable motives? And how and when will he reach the point of murder...the zero point? In the ingenious and noteworthy departure for Agatha Christie, it's the intricate workings of a pathological mind that becomes the stuff of startling mystery as group of friends at a seaside resort remain blithely unaware that their weekend will be the death of them all...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

An elderly widow is murdered at a clifftop seaside house...What is the connection between a failed suicide attempt, a wrongful accusation of theft against a schoolgirl, and the romantic life of a famous tennis player?To the casual observer, apparently nothing. But when a houseparty gathers at Gull's Point, the seaside home of an elderly widow, earlier events come to a dramatic head.It's all part of a carefully paid plan - for murder.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible