Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Twilight Watch (2003)

by Sergei Lukyanenko

Series: World of Watches Hexalogy (3)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (27)
By this point, my reaction is "meh". ( )
  nmele | Jun 16, 2017 |
As always, an excellent book in an excellent series, although a bit weaker than the previous two volumes. This time, our second level magician, Anton, is tasked to look into a request of a human to become an other.... of course, this is an impossibility, or is it?

Generally, these books follow three interconnected vignettes -but this one has two. In the first story, Anton must tract which human made the request, and which other the request was made to. This brings in the Day watch as well as the Inquisition.

The next story has Anton on vacation - feeling confused about how the human wanting to be a Other ended- with his wife Svetlana and their talented two year old daughter. An encounter with an unregistered witch leaves to revelations about what it means to be Other.

Where this book shines is just how grounded Anton is - his motivations are torn as he learns more about the watches. It will be interesting to see how this world changes, especially when Antons very powerful daughter comes into her powers. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 31, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Twilight Watch Series: Night Watch Author: Sergei Lukyanenko Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 432 Format: Kindle Synopsis: Anton is now a mature family man with a little 3 year old daughter. His wife has left the Night Watch and while he is still in it, his heart isn't. Throughout the 3 stories presented, Anton must wrestle what it means to be an "Other". He must decide if the Light and Dark ones are different after all and if the Inquisition is what he wants, or if it too is an empty body politic. My Thoughts: The idea of a book or spell that can turn people into Others was interesting. The complications, the effects and the ripples from even the Idea of such a thing are shown in each of these stories. The writing was much more polished, less chaotic and random, than the first book. The downside was that the morose and melancholy nature that I so enjoyed from the previous books was also tamped down. Kind of like a campfire after the first 30min. It is now warmer and much more able to fulfill your needs [ie, roasting those horrible 'smores] but it doesn't LOOK like a wild raging fire any more. Tamed. Lukyanenko's philosophical musings, given voice by Anton's thoughts, while running in the same vein as before, are much more "Others" versus "People" instead of "Light" versus "Dark". Anton ends up thinking that ALL "Others" are like magical vampires, as they live off of the magic of people and the world. Which of course, is utter and complete bollocks. That is on the same level as saying that I am a grass vampire because I breathe in the oxygen it produces. In all honesty, Anton has matured and now has a family to be worried about, he doesn't need to sit around and mentally masturbate to such puerile philosophy. I also liked how the Inquisition was shown to be the place for those who had given up hope instead of the last Bastion of Hope for Others. Originally, I believe this was the last book. At least, I know I've seen "The Night Watch Trilogy" on a bunch of older editions of this and earlier books. I do know that there is a fourth book, called The Final Watch, and I'm wondering what Lukyanenko will write about to wrap things up. Aaaaand I just looked and there is a fifth book entitled New Watch, so it looks like I've got a bit more reading a head of me than I thought. I'm ok with that. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I was originally attracted to the novels by the offbeat, wacky, sometime surprising movies, and wanted to know what the author's intent and ideas were.
What I came to realize is the old cliche that the 'novel is better than the movie' is not only true in this case, the two movies were only a shadow of the complex story lines and depth in just the first Night Watch book, albeit a noble effort to portray the complexity of the developments of a somewhat naive, dislocated young initiate to the Power.
The development of the main themes of the use of Power and Balance (both deservedly capitalized) comes to a crescendo in this book, and the extremely satisfying conclusion of the plot that arises from these basic concepts.
Without putting any spoilers in the review, all I can say is that the depiction of the limits of extreme power, and the concepts of how that power is derived is very satisfying to a long-term practitioner of 'soft' martial arts based on Taoist principles. ( )
  terence_oh | Oct 29, 2013 |
This may well be my favorite book in the series.

No, you can't read it without reading the previous two, but I do think it's a lot of fun. ( )
  RandomMichelle | Sep 26, 2013 |

Sergei Lukyanenkoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pöhlmann, ChristianeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The genuine old Moscow house yards disappeared sometime between the two popular bards Vysotsky and Okudzhava.

Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of its population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each owes allegiance either to the Dark or the Light. Night Watch Agent Anton Gorodetsky's holiday is abruptly shortened when an urgent call from Gesar - his boss and Night Watch head - forces him to return to work. Gesar has received an anonymous note, stating that an Other has revealed the full truth about their kind to a human, and intends to convert the human in an Other. The note has also been sent to the Day Watch, and to the Inquisition - but only the very highest-level Others know the addresses. So the Inquisition orders the cooperation of Night and Day Watch in an effort to unmask the culprit...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

An ancient race of humans who have supernatural powers face their greatest threat yet when a renegade Other absconds with a fabled book of spells and appears intent on using it to alter the course of humanity in the third book in the bestselling Russian trilogy that is part fantasy, part vampire story, and part detective story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,675,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible