The Twilight Watch (Watch, Book 3) by Sergei…

The Twilight Watch (Watch, Book 3) (original 2003; edition 2007)

by Sergei Lukyanenko

1,474None5,031 (4.09)47
Member:griffey
Title:The Twilight Watch (Watch, Book 3)
Authors:Sergei Lukyanenko
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Kindle Books

Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (2003)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (26)
I was originally attracted to the novels by the offbeat, wacky, sometime surprising movies, and wanted to know what the author's intent and ideas were.
What I came to realize is the old cliche that the 'novel is better than the movie' is not only true in this case, the two movies were only a shadow of the complex story lines and depth in just the first Night Watch book, albeit a noble effort to portray the complexity of the developments of a somewhat naive, dislocated young initiate to the Power.
The development of the main themes of the use of Power and Balance (both deservedly capitalized) comes to a crescendo in this book, and the extremely satisfying conclusion of the plot that arises from these basic concepts.
Without putting any spoilers in the review, all I can say is that the depiction of the limits of extreme power, and the concepts of how that power is derived is very satisfying to a long-term practitioner of 'soft' martial arts based on Taoist principles. ( )
  terence_oh | Oct 29, 2013 |
Another great continuation from The Night Watch and The Day Watch.

I really like reading about this world, which has been imagined so vividly by Sergei Lukyanenko. Each book brings something new to the table, and this was no less brilliant than the others. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
This may well be my favorite book in the series.

No, you can't read it without reading the previous two, but I do think it's a lot of fun. ( )
  RandomMichelle | Sep 26, 2013 |
This follow-up to the (also amazing) Russian magical reality books Night Watch and Day Watch returns us to Anton's mind and to Anton's relationships with those around him. Focusing on interactions with the mysterious Inquisitors, this book takes Anton further along in his path to understanding that there really is very little difference between Light and Dark and that the shades of Grey they all walk in are probably more suited to all Others than being separated like this.

In the first of the three "books" that are traditionally found in each of these novels, Anton has to go "undercover" into a community of humans to try to discover who, if anyone, has been told about the Others. Not only is it dangerous for the Others to be revealed, but whomever revealed the Others to this human has also promised to turn this human into an Other him or herself, which is - according to all but the most forbidden of legends - impossible.

In the second "book," Anton runs across an unregistered and VERY powerful witch as well as several werewolves who were apparently hunting humans while on vacation in his dacha (country house) and has to try to take care of these problems with the help of Svetlana.

In the third "book," a powerful vampire and member of the Inquisition has been murdered and a book thought to be the stuff of legends, that will allow Others to turn humans into Others themselves, has been stolen from the house of the witch Arina. Anton, with the help of the vampire Kostya and the Inquisitor Edgar, has to try to find the culprit and the book.

Lukyanenko has created a vivid world in modern-day Russia. He shows us the despair with which many modern Russians live while they try to adapt to a capitalistic society, a method of life that is completely foreign to everything they've ever known before. Through this is shown the plotting of the Watches and Inquisition and the Others, using the humans often as pawns and foils in their games for glory. It is an often bleak outlook (to me). My husband, on the other hand, found the book to have a lot of humor in it - he says there are a lot of instances of outright slapstick. So I guess it is all in how you look at it - there is a situation where Anton has an old out-of-work drunk work on a BMW. He brings in several friends and they completely take apart the car. They get so involved in it that they even forget to get drunk. Me, I found that sad. My husband thought it was hysterical.

At any rate, do NOT miss this amazing series of books. You will not be sorry for reading them. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 24, 2013 |
I've really liked Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch trilogy, but this third book also really irritated me in a couple of ways. I like the way this has all developed -- that the reader's understanding has developed with that of Anton, and that each of the parts are relevant while still being stories unto themselves. I enjoyed that characters who were mentioned earlier, like Edgar and Kostya, become more important as you learn more about the world.

But the "plot twists" are really starting to annoy me. Just once, can it not be Gesar's plot (the Mirror story doesn't count, because it wasn't anyone's plot)? Actually, that's one of the things that really bothers me. For all that we get in the last couple of stories, as we learn more, about the Others all basically being the same and equilibrium being important and so on, and there always being two halves to the truth and blahblahblah, Lukyanenko always basically has the Light Ones coming out on top. I mean, they get Svetlana, they get a second chance at Egor, Anton powers up, they get Anton and Svetlana's daughter, their Messiah figure, they end the trilogy with four Great Magicians, Igor wins the duel with Alisa... The only thing the Dark Ones get is the Mirror, and that's just to equalise the two -- it doesn't let the Dark Others get ahead in any way.

That encapsulates another of the things that annoyed me: Anton's rise in power. At the beginning he's sort of mediocre -- not insignificant, but not the greatest. Yet throughout the story he gets levelled up and levelled up... against the actual rules of the world as we know them originally... for no real reason. It's not plot necessary. He could do everything he needs to do with amulets or by channeling the other Others' power, but no... I'm glad, in one sense, that it means no barrier between him and Svetlana, because Svetlana's a nice character. And the whole problem with them not being equal is kind of understandable, but the problem with Anton is that he's quite a self-centered dick. I didn't mind his initial small rises, so that he remained one of the best characters to see things from and didn't become insignificant, but the fact that he became a magician beyond classification seemed needless.

Which leads me to the way I hated the treatment of Kostya. Apart from the poetic muses in the end about him flying, well, the message is "don't try to prove you're better than people think you are, they'll ignore you and it leads to trouble". Awesome, just awesome. I also found the ending a little confusing, and wasn't sure exactly what Kostya got wrong... In any case, again, Anton being an asshole -- he should have destroyed Kostya rather than let him go to a prolonged, painful death. What a jerk.

Another thing that I found irritating was the disappearance of Olga from the text. In the first book she's an important character, a strong woman, etc. Yet as soon as she becomes Gesar's lover again, she's mentioned a couple of times and the only time I remember hear appearing is to serve Czech beer to Anton! Besides that, she makes a stupid rookie mistake out of essentially female sentimentality and everyone else has to clean up after her! That doesn't sound like the original Olga. And it's weird, because there are strong women in the story -- Olga, Svetlana, Tiger Cub, Arina, even Alisa... But by the end, for various plot reasons, we basically only see Svetlana and know that Olga is supposed to be around there somewhere...

I'm looking forward to reading The Last Watch and seeing what it does with what's there, but the ending of the third book feels quite satisfying -- in the sense that it's conclusive enough -- and I'm not sure what to expect from The Last Watch. It'd have to be pretty damn apocalyptic to build on what's already happened. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Sergei Lukyanenkoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The genuine old Moscow house yards disappeared sometime between the two popular bards Vysotsky and Okudzhava.

Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of its population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each owes allegiance either to the Dark or the Light. Night Watch Agent Anton Gorodetsky's holiday is abruptly shortened when an urgent call from Gesar - his boss and Night Watch head - forces him to return to work. Gesar has received an anonymous note, stating that an Other has revealed the full truth about their kind to a human, and intends to convert the human in an Other. The note has also been sent to the Day Watch, and to the Inquisition - but only the very highest-level Others know the addresses. So the Inquisition orders the cooperation of Night and Day Watch in an effort to unmask the culprit...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:28 -0400)

An ancient race of humans who have supernatural powers face their greatest threat yet when a renegade Other absconds with a fabled book of spells and appears intent on using it to alter the course of humanity in the third book in the bestselling Russian trilogy that is part fantasy, part vampire story, and part detective story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible