Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise by Steve…

Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise

by Steve Jones

Starting with coral and working his way around, Steve Jones covers a lot of different topics to do with evolution, geology, the environment, and the impact us humans are having on said environment. This was probably the most compelling of his books that I've read, but I have to say I still didn't find it breezy: fascinating as coral is in many ways, it's not that fascinating to me.

Also, Jones clearly has a thing with Darwin -- it's not exactly that he copies Darwin, but he certainly emulates his works and interests, trying to present them anew to this century's audience. Something about the way he's always harping back to Darwin is starting to get on my nerves. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 15, 2014 |
Excellent book detailing the role that Coral plays in the survival of the planet. Very thought provoking ( )
  PIER50 | Nov 8, 2009 |
In his usual inimitable style we are told of the impending disasters facing humanity in the same tone as a naughty school boy telling of his achievements to his class mates.

Coral as a uniting theme allows him to cover off a huge variety of topics and interesting facts.

Move to high ground.

Then read this book. ( )
  psiloiordinary | Jan 1, 2009 |
This is a lovely, book, playful and even lyrical in places. If you want to learn about coral, the book does deliver, but the facts are hidden within the story in ways that some readers might find frustrating. Here the science plays second fiddle to the stories and wonderful stories they are too. Unfortunately, the final chapter, and epilogue, was comparatively weak. I felt the author's passion for conservation, but the preachy and pessimistic tone put me off. Still, the title of the book should have forewarned me, I suppose! ( )
  shanlon | Jul 14, 2008 |

Weaving together a journey from Marseilles to Madras via the South Pacific and the author's own memories of his seafaring grandfather, this book provides an inspired, eclectic narrative that links science with history, literature, and with our image of mankind.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible