The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal…

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence… (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Lee Strobel

Member:jewelsjoy12
Title:The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus
Authors:Lee Strobel
Info:Zondervan (1998), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:NonFiction, Your library

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel (1998)

English (57)  Slovak (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
Ok book, but he starts with too many givens. Could have been better. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
I am already a Christian, so I don't know if this book would have compelled me to believe in Christ or not. However, Strobel investigates the claims about who Jesus was and the circumstances surrounding his death and resurrection in an objective manner. The resurrection of course is the single most important event in history, so knowing how we know that those testimonies are true is pretty compelling. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 27, 2014 |
Excellent book. Reveals the facts about Jesus Christ and the true history that is no longer being taught in schools. ( )
1 vote cwflatt | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Case for Christ documents a series of interviews of leading Biblical scholars that discuss such questions as:

Can the biographies of Jesus be trusted?
Were they reliably preserved?
Does archaeology confirm or contradict the gospels?
Was Jesus crazy when He claimed to be the son of God?
Was Jesus seen alive after His death on the cross?
What does the evidence establish?

I liked Strobel's writing style. He includes a nice description of his conversations without just listing a bunch of dry academic facts. The facts themselves are quite interesting. I thought his "case" was well presented, but I am of course already biased to believe it. So, would it change my mind if I were atheist or agnostic? I don't know. He does bring up common arguments and refutes them, which I found compelling.

Speaking as a Christian, I believe this book provides an interesting read in apologetics. I enjoyed it, and thought it had some solid points to support the validity of the Bible. Of course, in the end, it's written by a man. Ultimately, my faith comes from what I read in the Bible, not what a man or Bible scholar writes. I believe anything aside from the inspired word of God can have fallacies - intended or not. But I would recommend this read to others, and I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Retracing his own spiritual journey from atheism to faith, Lee Strobel, former legal editor of the Chicago Tribune, cross examines a dozen experts, challenging them with questions like 'How reliable is the New Testament?', 'Does evidence exist for Jesus outside the Bible?, and 'Is there any reason to believe that the resurrection was an actual event?'.
  RubislawLibrary | Jan 30, 2014 |
In the parlance of prosecutors, the attempted murder case against James Dixon was "a dead-bang winner."

From Christianbook.com
When Lee Strobel's wife became a Christian, he found that the positive changes in her were too noticeable to ignore. Since he had a law background (Yale Law School), and was an investigative reporter, Strobel decided to subject the claims of Christianity to the type of scrutiny he used in reporting on legal cases for a major newspaper. The result: The Case for Christ, a book which chronicles Strobel's journey from atheist to Christian, and offers a compelling argument for the veracity of the Christian faith.

To answer his questions, Strobel decided to seek out the experts. He was hoping to learn whether the evidence we have about Jesus in the Bible was reliable and accurate. He picked the brains of the following thirteen experts: Dr. Craig Blomberg (eyewitness evidence); Dr. Bruce Metzger (documentary evidence); Dr. Edwin Yamauchi (corroborating evidence); Dr. John McRay (scientific/archaeological evidence); Dr. Gregory Boyd (rebuttal evidence); Dr. Ben Witherington III (identity evidence); Dr. Gary Collins (psychological evidence); Dr. D.A. Carson (profile evidence); Louis Lapides, M.Div., Th.M. (fingerprint evidence); Dr. Alexander Metherell (medical evidence); Dr. William Lane Craig (evidence of the missing body); Dr. Gary Habermas (evidence of appearances); Dr. J.P. Moreland (circumstantial evidence).

After having all his questions answered, Strobel pulls the evidence together and presents the verdict. Not surprisingly, the verdict, based on legal rules for evidence, pointed to Jesus being exactly who the Bible says he is. The evidence overwhelmingly points to Jesus being the son of God, who died on the cross and rose three days later. So if you have questions about the truth of the Christian claims, or know someone who does, this book is the best place to start. Written by someone who knew which questions to ask (because he had them too), this book presents logical, rational answers that can help.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0310209307, Paperback)

The Case for Christ records Lee Strobel's attempt to "determine if there's credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God." The book consists primarily of interviews between Strobel (a former legal editor at the Chicago Tribune) and biblical scholars such as Bruce Metzger. Each interview is based on a simple question, concerning historical evidence (for example, "Can the Biographies of Jesus Be Trusted?"), scientific evidence, ("Does Archaeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus' Biographies?"), and "psychiatric evidence" ("Was Jesus Crazy When He Claimed to Be the Son of God?"). Together, these interviews compose a case brief defending Jesus' divinity, and urging readers to reach a verdict of their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:22 -0400)

Using the dramatic scenario of an investigative journalist pursuing his story and leads, Strobel uses his experience as a reporter for the Chicago Tribune to interview experts about the evidence for Christ from the fields of science, philosophy, and history.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Zondervan

Five editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310209307, 0310234697, 0310226058, 0310226465, 0310226279

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,337,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible