The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal…

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence… (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Lee Strobel

Member:jewelsjoy12
Title:The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus
Authors:Lee Strobel
Info:Zondervan (1998), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:NonFiction, Your library

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel (1998)

English (60)  Slovak (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
Many who rated this book were quick to condemn Lee for writing a book about a Savior he encountered on a personal journey to find answers. God won him over through his (Lee's) doubtful, prove-it personality. I love how God works in individual lives!

Lee's heart is to help show others what God so patiently showed him. He wants you to have what he found. All of Christians want that. We want you reconciled to Him.

Until the end of this age, there will be critics of Jesus that will only believe if they see unmitigated proof first hand ( some won't even believe that) but blessed is the one who believes without seeing.

I challenge those of you who do not believe or have doubts about who Jesus is, to do as Lee suggests..... Read the Bible, study it, investigate it and ask The One True God to show you the truth. Be open to what He shows you. He loves you enough to suffer an excruciating death for you. He loves you enough to open your eyes if you will only ask.

I believe that Jesus is the incarnation of God, His Son, my Redeemer, My Savior, the perfect image of a loving God. I believe in Father, Son and Holy Spirit as One as much as my finite mind can understand. Why? Because I have a personal relationship with a personal God. I don't know about how or what anyone else feels.... But knowing Jesus and feeling him in my heart is the most satisfying peaceful feeling possible. The only way to understand it is to experience it!

God gave us free will. How won't force us to believe. It's a personal choice. ( )
  slhayes | Jul 2, 2016 |
I've been a Christian for years, and this book still brought up some of the questions I had. I loved how they were answered - we won't always have the answers to things, but the answers we do have should be enough. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
A journalist speaks to experts regarding the compilation of the Bible, the life and behavior of Christ and the Apostles, and more in an attempt to disprove his wife's faith.
  kingsfan1652 | Aug 6, 2015 |
The author did an amazing job of sounding like a pompous ass and simultaneously sounding like an ignorant rube. Lee Strobel has put himself inside a Christian echo chamber and intentionally neglected to interview any person who could or would refute his worldview. I propose that Strobel's work be used as an example of how to write a biased, anti-academic book on the subject of Christianity. This author has no intention of truly challenging his ideas and it seems that the purpose of his book is merely to keep the sheep in the flock. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Ok book, but he starts with too many givens. Could have been better. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
In the parlance of prosecutors, the attempted murder case against James Dixon was "a dead-bang winner."

From Christianbook.com
When Lee Strobel's wife became a Christian, he found that the positive changes in her were too noticeable to ignore. Since he had a law background (Yale Law School), and was an investigative reporter, Strobel decided to subject the claims of Christianity to the type of scrutiny he used in reporting on legal cases for a major newspaper. The result: The Case for Christ, a book which chronicles Strobel's journey from atheist to Christian, and offers a compelling argument for the veracity of the Christian faith.

To answer his questions, Strobel decided to seek out the experts. He was hoping to learn whether the evidence we have about Jesus in the Bible was reliable and accurate. He picked the brains of the following thirteen experts: Dr. Craig Blomberg (eyewitness evidence); Dr. Bruce Metzger (documentary evidence); Dr. Edwin Yamauchi (corroborating evidence); Dr. John McRay (scientific/archaeological evidence); Dr. Gregory Boyd (rebuttal evidence); Dr. Ben Witherington III (identity evidence); Dr. Gary Collins (psychological evidence); Dr. D.A. Carson (profile evidence); Louis Lapides, M.Div., Th.M. (fingerprint evidence); Dr. Alexander Metherell (medical evidence); Dr. William Lane Craig (evidence of the missing body); Dr. Gary Habermas (evidence of appearances); Dr. J.P. Moreland (circumstantial evidence).

After having all his questions answered, Strobel pulls the evidence together and presents the verdict. Not surprisingly, the verdict, based on legal rules for evidence, pointed to Jesus being exactly who the Bible says he is. The evidence overwhelmingly points to Jesus being the son of God, who died on the cross and rose three days later. So if you have questions about the truth of the Christian claims, or know someone who does, this book is the best place to start. Written by someone who knew which questions to ask (because he had them too), this book presents logical, rational answers that can help.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0310209307, Paperback)

The Case for Christ records Lee Strobel's attempt to "determine if there's credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God." The book consists primarily of interviews between Strobel (a former legal editor at the Chicago Tribune) and biblical scholars such as Bruce Metzger. Each interview is based on a simple question, concerning historical evidence (for example, "Can the Biographies of Jesus Be Trusted?"), scientific evidence, ("Does Archaeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus' Biographies?"), and "psychiatric evidence" ("Was Jesus Crazy When He Claimed to Be the Son of God?"). Together, these interviews compose a case brief defending Jesus' divinity, and urging readers to reach a verdict of their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Using the dramatic scenario of an investigative journalist pursuing his story and leads, Strobel uses his experience as a reporter for the Chicago Tribune to interview experts about the evidence for Christ from the fields of science, philosophy, and history.… (more)

Zondervan

5 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310209307, 0310234697, 0310226058, 0310226465, 0310226279

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,501,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible