The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg

The Hidden Child

by Camilla Lackberg

Series: Erica Falck & Patrik Hedström (5)

Recently added bynannersmom, seannaq, Mooose, private library, carofi, mathpoul, Oxnard0315, ted74ca, vnesting

English (25)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (54)
Erica Falck has just finished her maternity leave and is supposed to be working on her latest crime novel. Instead, she finds herself fascinated by her mother’s 60-year-old diaries and the discovery of a Nazi medal. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/the-hidden-child-camilla-lack... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I don't read a lot of crime books. I was burned out on them years ago, but there are a few authors that make the cut for me and Camilla Lackberg is one of them. I've been following her Fjallbacka series since the first book was released and I'm always excited to see a new release pop up in my notices. THE HIDDEN CHILD did not disappoint. It solidly landed among some of my favorites of Lackberg's books and I was reminded, once again, of just how intensely absorbing this genre of book can be when it's written well.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on Sept. 12, 2014. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Sep 6, 2014 |
Hade förutfattade meningar om Läckberg..Hon skulle vara en riktigt kass skribent, men nja. Inget speciellt men inte sämre än de andra deckardrottningarna och kungarna som Sverige vaskat fram de senaste tio åren. En vanlig deckare, extremt mainstream, jag är ingen fan av ordinära deckare så jag kanske är fel person att bedöma! Men ngt jag glömde direkt då jag läst den! ( )
  Drusus | Aug 17, 2014 |
I picked this up bracing myself for a Swedish Noir experience - grey, slightly depressing, everyone smokes, and lots of heavy drinking - and I was pleasantly surprised to find a different type of story. Yes, this book takes place in Sweden, but the cast of characters didn't have that jaded, tired of life attitude. The story starts with Erica Falck discovering among her late mother's possessions a set of incomplete diaries and a Nazi war medal. Erica's memories of her mother have always been of a cold and severe woman, so she dives into researching her mother's early life with the hope of understanding who she really was. Erica takes the medal to a neighbor who was a former history teacher in the hopes of being able to track down its origin. Two days later, the neighbor is murdered. The story switches back and forth between the modern day mystery searching for the killer and the same town, Fjallbacka during WWII when many residents were supporting the Norwegian resistance against the Nazis.

The mystery aspect of the story was good, but I think the real attraction to this series is the relationships between the different police detectives and other people in the town. Definitely engaging and a good enough mystery to interest me in more. One special benefit was that I listened to this book and it was narrated by Simon Vance, the narrator of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. Just love his Swedish accent! ( )
  jmoncton | Aug 1, 2014 |
This is engrossing Scandie thriller that mingles the present and the past -- in this case, the dark days of World War II. In it, we have the fifth appearance of writer Erica Falck and policeman Hedstrom, now the parents of a year-old daughter, and (at last) married. Erica discovers a Nazi medal and a bloody child's dress among her mother's things, at the same time that Patrik becomes involved in the investigation of the brutal murder of an elderly local resident. While each tries to unravel these mysteries, they have to work out how parenting works (Patrik is taking parental leave!), how to deal with Patrik's ex-wife, and how to cope with a seriously interfering mother in law. At the same time, the cast of characters at the police station reappears, pursuing interests of their own. As time passes, of course, Erika's investigation of the long-ago past and Patrik's current day investigation become intertwined.

The book is highly suspenseful, and the interweaving of past and present adds to that, for me. And the characters remain likeable, interesting, and at times very funny. One small quibble: I have a little trouble making people's birthdays make sense, but no other reviewers seem troubled by that. I think this is Lackberg's best since "The Ice Princess", and look forward to reading more. ( )
  annbury | Jun 30, 2014 |

Camilla Lackbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heijden, Elina van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jongeneel, WivecaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Wille & Meja
In the stillness of the room the only sound was from the flies.

Hvers vegna skyldi móðir Ericu Falck hafa varðveitt gamla nasistaorðu? Spuringin lætur Ericu ekki í friði og hún hefur uppi á sögukennara á eftirlaunum til að leita svara. Sá bregst hins vegar undarlega við og veitir engin svör. Tveimur dögum síðar er hann látinn. Myrtur. Ericu bregður í brún þegar henni berast fréttir af morðinu. Eftir að hafa tvístigið lengi tekur hún til við að lesa dagbækur móður sinnar og kemst þá að því að á stríðsárunum var móðir hennar í sama félagsskap og hinn myrti. Gæti heimsókn Ericu til hans hafa hrundið af stað atburðarás sem leiddi til morðsins? Hver skyldi vera reiðubúinn að fremja morð til að hindra að sannleikurinn um löngu liðna atburði líti dagsins ljós?Í Ástandsbarninu eru það fjölskylduleyndarmál Ericu Falck sem koma upp á yfirborðið meðan lögreglan í Taumshede þarf að komast af án Patriks Hedström sem er í feðraorlofi.
Camilla Läckberg fléttar samtímanum listilega við heillandi frásögn af atburðum í lífi ungrar konu á fimmta áratugnum.Ástandsbarnið er fimmta bók Camillu Läckberg um Ericu og Patrik Hedström.

Crime writer Erica Falck is shocked to discover a Nazi medal among her late mother's possessions. Haunted by a childhood of neglect, she resolves to dig deep into her family's past and finally uncover the reasons why.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,999,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible