The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg

The Hidden Child

by Camilla Lackberg

Series: Erica Falck & Patrik Hedström (5)

English (30)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  German (4)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (60)
Detailed characters, a fascinating crime, a great sin hidden in the past. A typical scandinavian crime story. And it's good.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Sep 20, 2015 |
In small town Sweden, a retired history professor, who collects Nazi items for historical purposes, is murdered in his home. When Erica reads the diaries of her deceased mother, she finds there's a connection between her mother and the murdered man when they were teenagers. Erica starts researching to see if she can find out more. The story switches between present day with the investigation into the murder by numerous people and the 1940s during WW II with Erica's mother and the other teenagers, until they come together with all the pieces of the puzzle.

This is the third book I've read by this author and I continue to enjoy her style of switching between different characters and different time periods to slowly reveal all the information. There is very little graphic detail. There's a lot on relationships between family, friends and co-workers, which I like as a contrast to the murder investigation. ( )
  gaylebutz | Sep 11, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book despite the fact that it took me a month to read it. I don't know if I was too busy or if the amount of information in the book over loaded me, but I finished it and it was another winner by Lackberg! The twists and turns between present day and the war years was a lot to keep up with for some reason. No different than any of her other books, but this one just seemed like more. Maybe it was because the information (plot) was regarding such heavy material. Natzism and such. I highly recommend it. I only have The Drowning and The Stranger (which comes out in May 2013 left. I will be so disappointed when I finish this series! ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 20, 2015 |
The Hidden Child. Camilla Lackberg. 2014. In the 4 previous novels in this series, Erica has almost obsessed about how cold and distant her mother was. In this book we find out why. Patrik is at home in paternity leave so Erica can work on her new book, but he is keeping in touch with his cohorts at the police station. An old man is found murdered alone in his house. It just happens to be the man Erica has taken a medal she found in her mother’s things to the victim to be identified. So Erica becomes involved in the murder investigation. The story of Erica’s mother is told in flashbacks. I did not find this book as compelling as the others in the series until the last 100 pages or so, but they certainly made up for the first part of the novel! As in the other books, we become involved with the personal lives of all the characters. I really enjoy these books ( )
  judithrs | Aug 17, 2015 |
The Hidden Child is the fifth book in Camilla Läckberg’s Fjällbacka crime series. It can stand alone though. Some of the characters have storylines that continue from previous books but I was able to follow along without having read all the other books.

This book had so many characters that it was hard to keep them all straight, especially listening to the audio book. Since the cast was so large, the narrator couldn’t come up with a unique voice for each one, which didn’t help my confusion. He did have a great dramatic tone and read with emotion.

I actually enjoyed the subplots involving the secondary characters more than I enjoyed the murder mystery that was the center of the plot. The timeline kept bothering me. I could never figure out how Erica’s mother could have been a teenager at the end of World War II and still have been young enough to have been Erica and her younger sister’s mother when they were born. I also couldn’t follow the revelation that Erica has towards the end that opens the murder mystery wide open. It didn’t make sense to me – it seemed like she came to her discovery out of the blue. So I much preferred reading about the police chief falling in love and learning to salsa dance and the police woman who was starting a family.

I didn’t like this book as much as I did The Stonecutter (the third book in the series and the only other one I’ve read) but I liked it enough that I want to keep reading more of the books in this series. ( )
  mcelhra | Jan 6, 2015 |
En Las huellas imborrables, Camilla Läckberg entreteje con maestría una historia contemporánea con la vida de una joven en la Suecia de 1940. Escrita con numerosos flashbacks, en esta novela Erica Falck debe adentrarse en el oscuro pasado de su propia familia.

El verano llega a su fin y la escritora Erica Falck vuelve al trabajo tras la baja de maternidad. Ahora le toca a su compañero, el comisario Patrik Hedström, tomarse un tiempo libre para ocuparse de la pequeña Maja. Pero el crimen no descansa nunca, ni siquiera en la tranquila ciudad de Fjällbacka, y cuando dos adolescentes descubren el cadáver de Erik Frankel, Patrik compaginará el cuidado de su hija con su interés por el asesinato de este historiador especializado en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Mientras tanto, Erika hace un sorprendente hallazgo: los diarios de su madre Elsy, con quien tuvo una relación difícil, junto con una antigua medalla nazi. Pero lo más inquietante es que, poco antes de la muerte del historiador, Erika había ido a su casa para obtener más información sobre la medalla. ¿Es posible que su visita desencadenara los acontecimientos que condujeron a su muerte?
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Camilla Lackbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heijden, Elina van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jongeneel, WivecaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Wille & Meja
In the stillness of the room the only sound was from the flies.

Hvers vegna skyldi móðir Ericu Falck hafa varðveitt gamla nasistaorðu? Spuringin lætur Ericu ekki í friði og hún hefur uppi á sögukennara á eftirlaunum til að leita svara. Sá bregst hins vegar undarlega við og veitir engin svör. Tveimur dögum síðar er hann látinn. Myrtur. Ericu bregður í brún þegar henni berast fréttir af morðinu. Eftir að hafa tvístigið lengi tekur hún til við að lesa dagbækur móður sinnar og kemst þá að því að á stríðsárunum var móðir hennar í sama félagsskap og hinn myrti. Gæti heimsókn Ericu til hans hafa hrundið af stað atburðarás sem leiddi til morðsins? Hver skyldi vera reiðubúinn að fremja morð til að hindra að sannleikurinn um löngu liðna atburði líti dagsins ljós?Í Ástandsbarninu eru það fjölskylduleyndarmál Ericu Falck sem koma upp á yfirborðið meðan lögreglan í Taumshede þarf að komast af án Patriks Hedström sem er í feðraorlofi.
Camilla Läckberg fléttar samtímanum listilega við heillandi frásögn af atburðum í lífi ungrar konu á fimmta áratugnum.Ástandsbarnið er fimmta bók Camillu Läckberg um Ericu og Patrik Hedström.

Crime writer Erica Falck is shocked to discover a Nazi medal among her late mother's possessions. Haunted by a childhood of neglect, she resolves to dig deep into her family's past and finally uncover the reasons why.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,687,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible