Ultimate Galactus Trilogy by Warren Ellis

Ultimate Galactus Trilogy

by Warren Ellis

Other authors: Nelson DeCastro (Inker)

Series: Ultimate Galactus (1-3)

76None157,207 (3.56)1

English (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
I'd heard that the whole ultimate Galactus arc was crap, but I just had to read it for myself. Unfortunately, it was true. I found the entire trilogy to be boring; I really had to slog through the book, and it took me something like six months to force myself to actually finish it. ( )
  schatzi | Jun 8, 2011 |
At first I was like "all the good stuff is Ellis and all the annoying stuff is Millar!" and that turned out not to be the case, but there is a sort of disconnect between styles in this book that is jagged, even if it can't be chalked up to the two writers. The first section, a team of Avengers and a team of X-Men running slap into each other in Tunguska, is dark with a pleasingly over-the-top amount of Soviet flava. Then it degenerates into your usual Big Event silliness, with some cute lines(Thor buying Ben and Johnny beer) and some shit that just doesn't make sense (after getting all wound up about not killing, the kids in the Ultimate FF are cool with just standing there and watching Hawkeye do it?). And the Silver Surfer is a letdown, except for his multiple rows of teeth, and the climax actually finds a believable way for them to drive off Galactus, but it seems like the good stuff gets lost a bit in the grind of comix-as-usual. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Sep 16, 2009 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeCastro, NelsonInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Super-scribe Warren Ellis chronicles the coming of Gah Lak Tus! This deluxe hardcover collects the entire Ultimate Galactus trilogy -- Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret and Ultimate Extinction -- plus extras. In Ultimate Nightmare, world communications systems break down, and the source of the anomaly is revealed as Tanguska, Russia. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. leads a force comprised of Captain America, Black Window and Sam Wilson to investigate; simultaneously, Charles Xavier of the X-Men dispatches his own team consisting of Jean Grey, Wolverine and Colossus. What they discover there -- and what happens next -- defies belief! In Ultimate Secret, a hidden alien race is trying desperately to keep man from reaching the stars. Cape Canaveral scientist Philip Lawson, secretly a Kree soldier assigned to a mission on our planet, knows of the hideous plan and will use all his considerable power to stop it... the power of Captain Mahr Vehl! But his sudden betrayal may mean a swift doom for the Earth. And finally, in Ultimate Extinction, it's time for the coming of Gah Lak Tus! And his arrival could mean the end of all life on this planet! Not even the power of S.H.I.E.L.D. or the brilliance of Fantastic Four leader Reed Richards seems able to stop its inexorable march to Earth. What role do the Ultimate X-Men have in this drama? And who on Earth is Misty Knight and how does she know the fate of our world may rest with -- Ultimate Silver Surfer? Collects Ultimate Nightmare #1-5, Ultimate Secret #1-4, Ultimate Extinction #1-5.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible