Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules…

Around the World in Eighty Days (1873)

by Jules Verne

Series: Les voyages extraordinaires (book 11)

8,202131382 (3.8)276

English (113)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (130)
Available as a free audio-book at librivox.org
  captbirdseye | Aug 27, 2014 |
Six-word review: Global romp charms even without Niven.

Extended review:

E-book editions of old works in the public domain, free on Amazon, may have less than universal appeal; but their availability is just the prompt I needed to remedy some omissions in my reading history.

Around the World in 80 Days is one of many classics that I'd encountered in other media, and most memorably in the 1956 blockbuster film, but never actually read in the (translated) original. Now I have. And I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the dated narrative style, despite the misconceptions and stereotypes that strike such a harsh note to 21st-century ears, despite the contrived coincidences and the deus ex machinas.

Phileas Fogg is a preternaturally unflappable Englishman who takes on a wager to circumnavigate the globe in eighty days or lose his fortune. Accompanied by his highly flappable valet Passepartout, he encounters numerous obstacles en route and calmly undertakes to overcome them all. Not least among them is Detective Fix: certain that Fogg is a fleeing bank robber, he dogs his steps and attempts to halt his progress. A race against days, hours, and ultimately minutes creates an entertaining chase. Part travelogue, part Victorian-era adventure, the novel rates four stars on sentimental grounds.

(Kindle edition) ( )
  Meredy | Aug 23, 2014 |
Quite a few reactions went through my mind as I read this book. Firstly I wondered how far Verne’s descriptions of all those places which would have been so exotic back in the late 1800s came from research or his own experience. Without looking this up, I’d guess mainly research. Verne certainly relied on his varied setting to engage the more parochial reader of the day.

Then there’s the use of an Englishman as his main character with a French servant following him. Why this way round? Maybe Verne wants to highlight what he saw as English traits but Fogg’s apparent indifference to his surroundings and his prodigal use of money seem unconvincing to me. And while Verne employs the rescued Aouda’s love of Fogg to try to lead the reader’s response to his protagonist, I found her veneration of this cold-bloodied man rather odd. After all it was Passepartout who showed daring inventiveness to rescue her (something also out of character with the usually rather naïve servant). The only time Fogg seems to show emotion is when he wants a duel with Colonel Stamp Proctor because he aimed a blow at him (which missed). Does Verne want us to think what an upright man Fogg is for insisting on this and being ready to return to America to achieve ‘satisfaction'? To me Fogg is someone who absurdly cuts himself off from life by playing whist most of the way round the world, stopping just the once to see if he could help Aouda though, as I’ve said, it was actually his servant who saved the day/damsel. Because I have no affinity towards Fogg, even after he's pursued the Indians (with thirty soldiers) to rescue Passepartout, I don’t care if he succeeds or not.

Still, the pace of the story helped to keep me reading just as the fast pace of a block-buster film might engage its audience but in the end delivers little although this book does have a clever ending. ( )
  evening | Aug 2, 2014 |
A very fun Victorian adventure - with all the baggage that entails. It's a cliché, but I do wish that I had read this earlier or during a more stressful part of my life. As it was, I didn't really engage with it very well. While it was certainly well executed, I'm still kind of surprised that this one made it on to the 1001. Mostly because when I think of Jules Verne I think of science fiction and this is one of his least scientific works. Of course Verne himself spends this entire book praising the English when he was French. So nothing is quite what you expect. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Jul 31, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814.
In the year 1872, No. 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens -- the house where Sheridan died in 1814 -- was occupied by Phileas Fogg, Esq.
(William Butcher's translation).
This LT work should be the complete text of Jules Verne's 1873 novel, Around theWorld in Eighty Days. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions, pop-up books, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original. Thank you.
Adapted

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014036711X, Paperback)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passeportout to achieve an incredible journey - from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days. There are many alarms and surprises along the way - and a last minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passepartout to achieve an incredible journey -- from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days! There are many alarms and surprises along the way -- and a last-minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044906X, 0141035870, 0141194766, 0141331259

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832351, 1907832793

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible