Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules…

Around the World in Eighty Days (original 1873; edition 1995)

by Jules Verne

Member:boabflower
Title:Around the World in Eighty Days
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Puffin (1995), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 304 pages

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (Author) (1873)

English (114)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (131)
Jules Verne is considered one of the early authors of the sci-fi genre. While Around the World in Eighty Days may not immediately fit our mold of "science fiction", when you figure that this was originally written in 1873, the science involved is pretty significant even if it is all based on accurate science rather than fanciful imaginations. Prior to reading, I knew the basic story and characters but not much more than that. Eccentric and meticulously orderly Phileas Fogg places a bet with members of his social club that he can travel around the world in 80 days. The date is chosen based on a loose claim listed in the newspaper based on the outlined timetables for trains and ships.

The first thing I found interesting was the character of Phileas Fogg. Based solely on my knowledge of the plot, I had expected him to be some wild and crazy madcap character with all sorts of outrageous behavior. Instead, Verne spends the first many pages showing us that Fogg is very much a creature of habit with ordinary behaviors. If anything, Fogg is a bit boring as a character. He has a precise daily and weekly schedule dictating when he wakes, when he sleeps, when he eats and everything he does in between. He doesn't have any extravagant hobbies or pastimes and doesn't do much of anything to engage in social events of the day. His flippant and sudden placing of the bet seems out of character and is quickly followed by quick adaptation to a new schedule as he immediately rushes home from his club, packs a quick bag, grabs his servant and proceeds to his first destination. Even in his quick trip, we seldom see him Fogg rushing or impetuous in any way. He is the picture of calm even as his trip faces adversity.

As a contrast to Fogg, his servant Passepartout is a very emotional character full of as much passion and frustration as Fogg is full of calm. Passepartout is stymied by his master's wager but rushes along with him on the adventure, excited to see the world. He is dismayed as he realizes that the whirlwind tour will result primarily in him seeing the cabins of ships or trains and very little of the world they're passing through. With each obstacle that comes their way, Passepartout practically shrieks in frustration and really adds to the sense of suspense and tension in the adventure. He is a great counter to Fogg's character and really helped make the book more entertaining.

Beyond the effects of nature or problems with transportation, the main obstacle facing Fogg is Inspector Fix from Scotland Yard. The Bank of England has recently been robbed by a man matching Fogg's description. When set alongside Fogg's erratic change in behavior and his willingness to throw insane sums of money at ship's captains and train engineer's, there is a very strong argument that Fogg could be the thief. Verne very carefully keeps details of the robbery hidden and makes sure that we are closely aligned with Fix's prejudices and beliefs. I had a hard time deciding whether or not Fogg was truly the bank thief or if it was merely an unfortunate coincidence. The interactions with Fix are humorous but distanced. Fix is waiting for his arrest warrant to arrive and until then he tries to stay just out of sight of Fogg while also delaying his progress so that the warrant will catch up with them and allow an arrest to be made. The entire situation leads to some rather funny encounters.

I really enjoyed the meticulous way in which Verne outlines the voyage. We sit with Fogg as he consults timetables and records his progress. There is a very careful accounting of days, weeks and hours. Alongside this, and usually alongside Passepartout rather than Fogg, Verne presents some fun narrative and adventures that give insight into a variety of different locations and cultures. For the late 19th century this was surely a lot of the novelty and appeal of the story. Even in the 21st century I applaud his presentation of these distant cultures. The technology and ideas are a bit dated, but there is still a sense of wonder, education and enjoyment that goes beyond the years.

My biggest complaint comes in the final section of the novel.

SPOILER ALERT - this next paragraph contains a spoiler about Fogg's eventual completion of his trip

When Fogg finally returns to London after overcoming numerous obstacles in amazing ways, he is distraught. Upon consulting his trusty notebook, he finds that he is at exactly 80 days. However, the wager included a TIME of day to ensure the voyage was completed in precisely 80 days of 24 hours. Unfortunately it looks as though Fogg has arrived a few minutes late. Rather than return to the club and consult his friends and concede defeat, Fogg returns home with his companions and goes to sleep. The next day he mopes about most of the day and then later sends Passepartout on an errand. Passepartout returns frantically informing his master that an error has been made and TODAY is the end of the wager and that if Fogg hurries, he can make it to the club in time. Fogg races through the streets to arrive at the club and win the bet. The reason for the miscalculation is presented by Verne essentially as the fact that Fogg traveled Eastward around the globe and crossed the "date line" effectively losing a calendar day and traveling a full 24-hours for free. This is all well and good and scientifically sound...where the problem breaks down for me is the fact that the original bet included a DATE on which Fogg should return. And every leg of the journey, Fogg is consulting time tables many times involving identifying the day and date that a transport will depart. Even as Fogg leaves the East coast of the U.S., day numbers are presented. As such, the exact DATE is perfectly known to Fogg and his companions. Thus, even if he did tally off 81 "days" of 24 hours in his notebook, it would have been VERY clear that they were right on time simply by consulting the timetables, the newspaper or any other item that they frequently looked at. The twist/surprise ending was entertaining but the logic of it fell apart for me.

END OF SPOILER

Overall I really enjoyed the story. It was a fun adventure with some great details and wonderful characters. The writing was engaging and the plot was a lot of fun. As I mentioned before, even though aspects of the science and technology are certainly dated (after all, you can now travel around the world in a single day), they are a joy to read and make me want to seek out more books from this father of science fiction.

*****
4.5 out of 5 stars ( )
1 vote theokester | Nov 26, 2014 |
Available as a free audio-book at librivox.org
  captbirdseye | Aug 27, 2014 |
Six-word review: Global romp charms even without Niven.

Extended review:

E-book editions of old works in the public domain, free on Amazon, may have less than universal appeal; but their availability is just the prompt I needed to remedy some omissions in my reading history.

Around the World in 80 Days is one of many classics that I'd encountered in other media, and most memorably in the 1956 blockbuster film, but never actually read in the (translated) original. Now I have. And I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the dated narrative style, despite the misconceptions and stereotypes that strike such a harsh note to 21st-century ears, despite the contrived coincidences and the deus ex machinas.

Phileas Fogg is a preternaturally unflappable Englishman who takes on a wager to circumnavigate the globe in eighty days or lose his fortune. Accompanied by his highly flappable valet Passepartout, he encounters numerous obstacles en route and calmly undertakes to overcome them all. Not least among them is Detective Fix: certain that Fogg is a fleeing bank robber, he dogs his steps and attempts to halt his progress. A race against days, hours, and ultimately minutes creates an entertaining chase. Part travelogue, part Victorian-era adventure, the novel rates four stars on sentimental grounds.

(Kindle edition) ( )
  Meredy | Aug 23, 2014 |
Quite a few reactions went through my mind as I read this book. Firstly I wondered how far Verne’s descriptions of all those places which would have been so exotic back in the late 1800s came from research or his own experience. Without looking this up, I’d guess mainly research. Verne certainly relied on his varied setting to engage the more parochial reader of the day.

Then there’s the use of an Englishman as his main character with a French servant following him. Why this way round? Maybe Verne wants to highlight what he saw as English traits but Fogg’s apparent indifference to his surroundings and his prodigal use of money seem unconvincing to me. And while Verne employs the rescued Aouda’s love of Fogg to try to lead the reader’s response to his protagonist, I found her veneration of this cold-bloodied man rather odd. After all it was Passepartout who showed daring inventiveness to rescue her (something also out of character with the usually rather naïve servant). The only time Fogg seems to show emotion is when he wants a duel with Colonel Stamp Proctor because he aimed a blow at him (which missed). Does Verne want us to think what an upright man Fogg is for insisting on this and being ready to return to America to achieve ‘satisfaction'? To me Fogg is someone who absurdly cuts himself off from life by playing whist most of the way round the world, stopping just the once to see if he could help Aouda though, as I’ve said, it was actually his servant who saved the day/damsel. Because I have no affinity towards Fogg, even after he's pursued the Indians (with thirty soldiers) to rescue Passepartout, I don’t care if he succeeds or not.

Still, the pace of the story helped to keep me reading just as the fast pace of a block-buster film might engage its audience but in the end delivers little although this book does have a clever ending. ( )
  evening | Aug 2, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814.
In the year 1872, No. 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens -- the house where Sheridan died in 1814 -- was occupied by Phileas Fogg, Esq.
(William Butcher's translation).
This LT work should be the complete text of Jules Verne's 1873 novel, Around theWorld in Eighty Days. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions, pop-up books, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original. Thank you.
Adapted

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014036711X, Paperback)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passeportout to achieve an incredible journey - from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days. There are many alarms and surprises along the way - and a last minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passepartout to achieve an incredible journey -- from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days! There are many alarms and surprises along the way -- and a last-minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.… (more)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044906X, 0141035870, 0141194766, 0141331259

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832351, 1907832793

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible