Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules…

Around the World in Eighty Days (original 1873; edition 1995)

by Jules Verne

Member:boabflower
Title:Around the World in Eighty Days
Authors:Jules Verne
Info:Puffin (1995), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 304 pages

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (1873)

English (132)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (149)
again, rare, saw the film(s) before reading the book - all great stuff
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Yes I remembered another book I did read. This one.
My dad was always pushing us to read this author. Glad he did cause this book was fantastic.
Definitely a 5 star rating. I think I read this when I was not even an adult.Loved it, especially the cruel story about the women in Egypt? When a man died his wife had to die as well. Never forgot that.

I think there was 1 other book by this author that I read. Must check. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
It’s hard to know how to rate this book. After the first 100 pages I was thinking “five stars”, then, a bit later “well, maybe four”. I gave it three after the terminally dull American section, great only if you like extended passages about rail timetables and Mormon history.

Despite this I found it an intriguing book because I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was reading a scathing attack on British imperialism and its cold reaction to the various peoples of the world. I’m not sure that is how Verne intended it to be read however, partly because his own descriptions of differing cultures are quite naïve and bordering on caricature and partly because he seems quite sympathetic to his “colonial” characters throughout. Still it would make a great book discussion title, read with a post-colonialist angle.

3.5 stars for me really, (I wish Goodreads would allow half star ratings à la iTunes).

One thing that interested me was the mental baggage with which I approached this book, from seeing countless movie and TV adaptations. I was waiting for the scene with the hot air balloon, you know THE scene that props up every live action version of this book and appears on dust jackets and posters alike? Well there isn’t a hot air balloon anywhere in this book. One is mentioned but only to say how stupid it would be to try to cross the Atlantic in it! I also expected P. Fogg to be somewhat dumb and bumbly – he was not. He was cold, calculating and unflappable – not words I would use to describe his characterizations on the screen.

It’s always a good experiment to read the original book behind classic films (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was another recent, eye opening, read of mine) if only to be entertained anew. The books are almost always better in my opinion. You may be pleasantly surprised by how different the reality is from your perception.

Could have been a great novella but he lost me somewhere on the train from San Francisco to Omaha. I also had great problems with the end - there is no way that a man like Fogg would have been unaware of the correct date, it doesn't fit his character.
1 vote MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Good book, fun (if long...) movie. Will he make it? It's how it is actually done that makes it a hoot. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This travel novel has great adventure stories about the different cities visited. The characters are well-developed and lovable.The different places of the world were written about in a way that must have been experienced by the author. It was amusing to read how the author portrayed America and its people. The ending was quite surprising and a great conclusion to the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys traveling. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814.
In the year 1872, No. 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens -- the house where Sheridan died in 1814 -- was occupied by Phileas Fogg, Esq.
(William Butcher's translation).
In the year 1872, the house at number 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens - the house in which Sheridan died in 1814 - was lived in by Phileas Fogg, Esq., one of the oddest and most striking members of the Reform Club, even though he seemed determined to avoid doing anything that might draw attention to himself.
(Penguin 2004 edition translation)
This LT work should be the complete text of Jules Verne's 1873 novel, Around the World in Eighty Days. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions, pop-up books, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014036711X, Paperback)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passeportout to achieve an incredible journey - from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days. There are many alarms and surprises along the way - and a last minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:00 -0400)

For a bet, Phileas Fogg sets out with his servant Passepartout to achieve an incredible journey -- from London to Paris, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Singapore, Hong Kong, San Francisco, New York and back to London again, all in just eighty days! There are many alarms and surprises along the way -- and a last-minute setback that makes all the difference between winning and losing.… (more)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044906X, 0141035870, 0141194766, 0141331259

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010131X, 140010906X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible