Villette (Vintage Classics) by Charlotte…

Villette (Vintage Classics) (original 1853; edition 2009)

by Charlotte Bronte

6,077108680 (3.89)3 / 430
Member:Yells
Title:Villette (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Charlotte Bronte
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 672 pages
Tags:TBR 2012 & PRIOR

Villette by Charlotte Brontë (1853)

English (102)  German (2)  All (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (108)
I could not finish this. I made it through maybe a hundred pages, realized that the main plot still hadn't begun, and I just gave up on it. Not sure if I'll pick it back up one day. ( )
  barelyamiable | Apr 6, 2017 |
Curious. Sounds much more like Charlotte than [b:Shirley|31168|Shirley|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1299948983s/31168.jpg|2685457] did, and much more enjoyable for that reason. In some ways superior to [b:Jane Eyre|10210|Jane Eyre|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327867269s/10210.jpg|2977639] and I quite liked the heroine Lucy Snowe (although to say I liked her is not quite right—there's a difference between being fond of and being interested in). Disappointing heroes, though, which was intentional but unsatisfying. It's a book you're supposed to come back to, I think. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I read where Villette was the ruination of Charlotte Bronte's career, and I can understand why. The story is disjointed and difficult to follow. It may be difficult to follow if one doesn't know a great deal of conversational French, as entire paragraphs are written in French. Just terrible! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 8, 2017 |
A few thoughts:
- Villette didn’t capture my imagination as either [Shirley] or [Jane Eyre].
- I never really warmed up to the heroine Lucy Snowe (no pun intended) - she fascinated me, but not enough.
- Liked the gothic elements which created an eerie feeling throughout the novel - the appearence of a ghost - a white nun….
- Liked also the descriptions of Lucy’s loneliness and despair and her deliberate attempts to be an independent free spirit. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jan 27, 2017 |
Davina Porter does a fabulous narration of this classic. Persevere past the first few chapters as the story picks up after the first section of her somewhat priggish youth. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 12, 2017 |

May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosengarten, HerbertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, MargaretEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weston, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My godmother lived in a handsome house in the clean and ancient town of Bretton.

Friendless and poor, Lucy Snowe arrives in the great Belgian city of Villette, where the sophisticated, devious Madame Beck offers her a post in her girls' school. Though Lucy gradually wins the respect of the spoiled, unruly pupils and her suspicious fellow-teachers, she is adrift from her own culture and finds her solitude desolating. In a powerfully-evoked crisis during the summer vacation, she encounters friends from her childhood, John Bretton and his kindly mother, but her feeling for the charming Dr John have to be curbed when she discovers that his love is bestowed elsewhere. In exploring this crisis and her emergence from it, Charlotte Bronte produced possibly the first, and certainly one of the most important fictional accounts of a woman's emotional breakdown.

"I am only just returned to a sense of real wonder about me, for I have been reading Villette..." —George Eliot

With neither friends nor family, Lucy Snowe sets sail from England to find employment in a girls’ boarding school in the small town of Villette. There she struggles to retain her self-possession in the face of unruly pupils, an initially suspicious headmaster, and her own complex feelings, first for the school’s English doctor and then for the dictatorial professor, Paul Emmanuel. Charlotte Brontë’s last and most autobiographical novel is a powerfully moving study of isolation and the pain of unrequited love, narrated by a heroine determined to preserve an independent spirit in the face of adverse circumstances.

Villette draws on Brontë’s own unhappy experience as a governess in Brussels
New Introduction examines the novel's social and historical context and argues for its importance as an exploration of imperialism
Includes chronology, suggestions for further reading, and explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

With neither friends nor family, Lucy Snowe sets sail from England to find employment in a girls' boarding school in the small town of Villette. There she struggles to retain her self-possession in the face of unruly pupils, an initially suspicious headmaster and her own complex feelings.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434798, 0141199881

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible