The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley

The Shadowy Horses (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Susanna Kearsley

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:The Shadowy Horses
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Gothic, mystery, contemporary fiction, fantasy, ghosts

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley (1997)

Fun for a summer / beach read. Ending was predictable, but still enjoyable and fun twist to a historical novel. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Every time I read Susanna's books, it's a mixture of being unable to stop and not wanting it to stop. I've loved every one of her books and have added this one to the list. It was an interesting mix of love, paranormal, mystery, laughter, adventure and the importance of honesty.

This is the story about a British woman named Verity who is an Archaeologist and is lured to Scotland by a former love interest with the chance to possibly discover the Roman Ninth Legion. Things are not what they seem though and the further she gets pulled into this mystery, the harder it is for her to pull away including a ghostly Sentinel who seems to have developed a protectiveness towards Verity.

Along the way, she finds herself falling for the tall dark Scotsman David who is a confusing mix of easy going and yet brooding. She soon learns the reasoning behind his broodiness and puts him into a different light.

Just as all seems to be going well, a storm blows up and Verity realizes that the hints from the Sentinel were warning of a danger to those that she loves. Will be be in time to uncover the culprit and save them?

You'll have to read to find out. Trust me, it's worth the wait!

Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
I think I have read too many books involving ghosts (or read about them) I kept wondering if the sentinel here was a hottie and if they would hook up ;)

Let us forget about that and get to the story. Verity is an archaeologist, she loves her job but wants back to digging. So in comes Scotland, and a mysterious job she knows nothing about. Plus an ex-boyfriend who tells her to come. She has a logical mind, she likes order, but it does prove that she has an open mind too. For that I liked her, sometimes you just have to believe (well after a while).

On the team is also the eccentric boss who wants to find the missing Ninth Legion. Her ex-boyfriend who loves them and leaves them. A Scottish archaeologist who she starts to fancy. A woman who works at the estate and of course her son, the son who says he can see a Roman Sentinel guarding the hill. A nice group of people all in all.

The book is part fiction, part tiny bit of suspense, part ghost story, part romance. A nice mix that works.

The story is about the dig, about learning that there might be more to things than what we just see (and with a nice explanation too), and of course about finding evidence and getting recognition.

I think I want to end with a poem :)

HE BIDS HIS BELOVED BE AT PEACE

by: William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

HEAR the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult, their eyes glimmering white;
The North unfolds above them clinging, creeping night,
The East her hidden joy before the morning break,
The West weeps in pale dew and sighs passing away,
The South is pouring down roses of crimson fire:
O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay:
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
Over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast,
Drowning love's lonely hour in deep twilight of rest,
And hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I just finished my first Susanna Kearsley's novel,The Shadowy Horses. I gave it three out of five Shelfari stars. Although many love her novels, I was less than ecstatic.

Verity Grey, a freelance archaeologist, has been employed by a wealthy archaeologist who has spent a lifetime searching for what happened to missing ancient military garrison known as the Ninth Roman Legion. Recent evidence seems to indicate that a southern Scottish coastal fishing village may the final resting place of the Ninth. However, shortly after Verity's arrival she senses danger in the air. This feeling is only strengthened after the housekeeper's young son, who possesses a "second sight" sees a lone Roman sentinel walking in the fields. The estate's pets are also squeamish. When problems begin occurring with the expedition's computers and archaeological gear are misplaced, Verity begins suspecting the Sentinel.

Although the novel was enjoyable, I wasn't enthralled with it. The author seemed to be struggling deciding which genre her novel was - is it a ghost story, a mystery or a romance. I felt that there was no particular plot elements which defined it.

John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Verity heads out to rural Scotland for a job interview on an archaeological dig site. Little does she know, it's kind of an unofficial site. The head man running it, Peter, believes that there was a specific purpose to the site, but no one else really agrees that that is the case. Peter is said to be “mad”. She takes the job, anyway, and discovers that Peter's belief is based on the “sight” of a psychic 9-year old boy... a boy who talks to the resident ghost he calls The Sentinel.

I quite enjoyed this. It took a little bit to get into it and it's not a fast-paced book, but I liked (most of) the characters and I also liked the little romance that developed for Verity (though it was pretty low-key - till the end, anyway). ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 25, 2015 |
I hear the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult, their eyes glimmering white...
O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream endless Desire,
the Horses of Disaster Plunge in the heavy clay;
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast
Drowning love's lonely hour in deep twilight of rest
and hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet

W B Yeats
He Bids His Beloved Be At Peace
To the people of Eyemouth: So many of you have had a hand in the creation of this book, and I have spent so many hours in your company that now your streets, your homes, your harbour have a warm familiar feel, and I no longer feel a stranger to your town. But I do not belong to Eyemouth. Despite my best efforts I'm sure there will be places in this book where you will find I've got some detail wrong, or used a turn of phrase that's not your own. I can only hope that you'll forgive me any errors. And I hope that you will all accept this novel as a gift of thanks, from one to whom you've always shown great kindness.
The bus had no business stopping where it did.

With its dark legends and passionate history, the windswept shores of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled by the challenge of uncovering an ancient Roman campsite in a small Scottish village. But as soon as she arrived, she felt danger in the air, and in the icy reserve of archaeologist David Fortune, and in the haunted eyes of the little boy who spoke of visions of a slain Roman sentinel.

The dark legends of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled to be at a dig for an ancient Roman camp in the Scottish village. But danger was in the air--in the icy reserve of archeologist David Fortune. In the haunted eyes to the little boy who had visions of a slain Roman sentinel. And in the unearthly sound of the ghostly Shadowy Horses, who carried men away to the land of the dead.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible