The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley

The Shadowy Horses (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Susanna Kearsley

5363118,778 (4)57
Member:bookofsecrets
Title:The Shadowy Horses
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Gothic, mystery, contemporary fiction, fantasy, ghosts

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley (1997)

I loved the archaeological and historical tie-ins, but I didn't love this book as much as [b:The Winter Sea|3392089|The Winter Sea (The Slains, #1)|Susanna Kearsley|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361281953s/3392089.jpg|3723657] and [b:The Rose Garden|9792287|The Rose Garden|Susanna Kearsley|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327951839s/9792287.jpg|14682378]. If you haven't read Susanna Kearsley before, you can start here, but you might be a bit disappointed if you have read some of her other novels first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible book. I did feel the relationships were underdeveloped and she barely scratched the surface of what she could have tied in historically. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Enjoyed it very much! Atmospheric & enjoyable characters, with unexpected twists! ( )
  fbswss | Sep 6, 2014 |
Accepting an invitation to work on an archaeology dig sight unseen, Verity Grey heads up to Eyemouth, a small village in southern Scotland, where she is introduced to a number of other people with varying interests in the dig: Peter Quinnell, an eccentric owner of the estate and an archaeologist himself, convinced despite any concrete evidence that his property was the site of an ancient Roman military camp; Adrian Sutton-Clarke, a surveyor whom Verity had dated some time ago; Peter's attractive but unfriendly granddaughter Fabia; David Fortune, another archeologist from the local university who immediately catches Verity's eye; and the mysterious young boy Robbie from a nearby cottage. When she begins to hear the sound of phantom horses' hooves outside her window at night, Verity realizes that this is going to be no ordinary dig.

I love the subtle but satisfying way in which the author connected The Firebird to this book, but I'm afraid that if I weren't already interested in archaeology myself I'm not sure how much interest it would have held. The characters were sort of disappointingly predictable, and I also found myself wishing that the sentry had ultimately played a more prominent role, as the element of magical realism is what has drawn me to Kearsley's books up until now. Overall, worth reading, but not one of her best. ( )
  ryner | Jul 23, 2014 |
There is something about [a:Susanna Kearsley|486812|Susanna Kearsley|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1245008341p2/486812.jpg]'s writing that I just...love! Her characters are always well-drawn, and the story always takes turns you didn't quite see coming. I was sad to finish this one because I wanted to spend more time with Verity, David, Robbie, Peter and the whole gang. And I even learned a few Scots words like fykie and sleekit. I'm running out of unread [a:Susanna Kearsley|486812|Susanna Kearsley|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1245008341p2/486812.jpg] books, and it's very sad... ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
In the last fifteen years or so, the women's novel has turned into the Amtrak of American literature; crashing through the gates at Aristotle, jumping the tracks at Horace, ignoring the flashing red lights at Boileau, and scooping up Alexander Pope in the cowcatcher. The rules are down and it's every stylist for herself in this best of all Tupperware parties, where plot and characterization have been replaced by the kind of non-stop chatter that enabled the French Foreign Legion to meet its enlistment quota for a hundred and fifty years. In the unlikely event that future scholars will bother to give our era a cultural tag, it will be called the Age of Women's Litter. - Florence King

Honestly, Ms. King's words have been a mantra for me more often than not these days. In this era of "50 Shades of Gag Me With A Spoon" I have been not only distressed, but horrified by the state of literature written by women. Not all women, of course. I have read, and reviewed, several books by women authors which are exceptional. However, the exceptional has been overshadowed by the inane and senseless. It is heart breaking.

Then, just when I despaired, something wonderful happened. I listened to The Shadowy Horses. Written by Susanna Kearsley, and narrated by Sally Armstrong, this book should be on every bestseller list in existence. If you haven't read it, I highly, Highly recommended the audio edition. Sally Armstrong has a beautiful, lyrical voice which turns the smooth prose of Kearsley into pure poetry.

Kearsley's story is set in Scotland as is well described in the blurb for the book and in other reviews. The story follows archeologists at a dig at Rose Hill, or, in old Latin, "Rouges Hill" a name which will come clear as the story unfolds. The voice of the book is beautifully paced, and draws you into the world of both modern and ancient Scotland, introducing the people both gently and with true understanding. Some are good, some not so much, but the people and the land are, above all, truly well written and make you feel that you are actually being drawn into the story.

This is a beautifully designed tale. The main storyline concerns an ancient mystery - what really happened to the Legio Nona Hispana, the 9th Spanish Legion of the Roman Empire. The last testified activity of the Ninth in Britain was reported during the rebuilding in stone of the legionary fortress at York, or Eboracum in 108 AD. After that, the 9th disappeared into the mists of history. Did they simply disappear in Britain about 117 AD? Were they slaughtered during the war with the Parthenian Empire much later on? The only known fact is that they were nonexistent during the reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. What truly happened to these thousands of strong, well trained Roman Legionnaires?
Kearsley builds on the stories and the mystery of the infamous 9th, following the theory of Miles Russell of Bournemouth University who has theorized that, "by far the most plausible answer to the question 'what happened to the Ninth' is that they fought and died in Britain, disappearing in the late 110s or early 120s when the province was in disarray". And Britain was, indeed, in disarray. For all the control and training of the Romans, Britain was not easily taken or controlled. Did the "savage" tribes of Britain really destroy a formerly invincible army?

While this may sound at first as if this is a dry text, it is very far from being so. Verity Grey has traveled from London to the village of Eyemouth, Scotland at the behest of her great friend and mentor Peter, an aging archeologist who has long searched for the vaunted 9th Legion. There, things become very strange, as she meets Robbie, a child with the "Second Sight" a psychic ability which has for centuries been believed to be inherited through family lines in Scotland and other countries with rich cultural histories. Robbie is a main character in the storyline, introducing Verity and the other archeologists to "The Sentinel" a ghostly figure wandering the lands of Rose Hill, who speaks the Latin, wears the clothing, and carries the arms of the Roman Legions. A lost and lonely figure who has great secrets and great heartache, secrets and pain which have apparently kept him tied to these lands for thousands of years. For why else would a wraith stalk these hills for centuries on end? Kearsley does a beautiful job with Robbie's abilities - they are not overdone or unbelievable, but rather handled with a deft touch, much in line with how Second Sight is actually understood in Scotland. (For more info on Second Sight see The Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 13, Number 3, pp 351-372, 1999, or online at: Second Sight and Family History:Pedigree and Segregation Analysis by Shari A. Cohn http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_13_3_cohn.pdf)

While others seem to have reviewed this as a "romance" this is absolutely not how I understood this beautifully written novel. Yes, there is a bit of romance, boy gets girl stuff. But that is such a small portion of the overall tale. This is a tale of mysteries, of history and culture and beautiful, beautiful words. Of an ancient land and ancient peoples, brought into the modern day through the use of story and theory woven into a ghostly tale of the horrors of a brutal time in history. Of love of family, the bonds of friendship in times of war, and the length one man will go through to protect and honor his friend and his family, though death take all.

This is, again, a beautiful and fascinating story for many reasons. I have visited that area of Scotland, and would do so again - only if I were to go back, it would be very hard to drag me away again. The history of the British Isles is rich and varied, brutal and savage, and deep as any Scottish Loch. And it calls to my heart and soul, a siren song of longing which I am loath to deny. I would wish you to know the beauty of those lands and its stories . . .

Highly recommended. ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
I hear the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult, their eyes glimmering white...
O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream endless Desire,
the Horses of Disaster Plunge in the heavy clay;
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast
Drowning love's lonely hour in deep twilight of rest
and hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet

W B Yeats
He Bids His Beloved Be At Peace
To the people of Eyemouth: So many of you have had a hand in the creation of this book, and I have spent so many hours in your company that now your streets, your homes, your harbour have a warm familiar feel, and I no longer feel a stranger to your town. But I do not belong to Eyemouth. Despite my best efforts I'm sure there will be places in this book where you will find I've got some detail wrong, or used a turn of phrase that's not your own. I can only hope that you'll forgive me any errors. And I hope that you will all accept this novel as a gift of thanks, from one to whom you've always shown great kindness.
The bus had no business stopping where it did.

With its dark legends and passionate history, the windswept shores of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled by the challenge of uncovering an ancient Roman campsite in a small Scottish village. But as soon as she arrived, she felt danger in the air, and in the icy reserve of archaeologist David Fortune, and in the haunted eyes of the little boy who spoke of visions of a slain Roman sentinel.

The dark legends of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled to be at a dig for an ancient Roman camp in the Scottish village. But danger was in the air--in the icy reserve of archeologist David Fortune. In the haunted eyes to the little boy who had visions of a slain Roman sentinel. And in the unearthly sound of the ghostly Shadowy Horses, who carried men away to the land of the dead.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,013,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible