The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley

The Shadowy Horses (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Susanna Kearsley

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:The Shadowy Horses
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Gothic, mystery, contemporary fiction, fantasy, ghosts

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley (1997)

3.5 stars

Verity heads out to rural Scotland for a job interview on an archaeological dig site. Little does she know, it's kind of an unofficial site. The head man running it, Peter, believes that there was a specific purpose to the site, but no one else really agrees that that is the case. Peter is said to be “mad”. She takes the job, anyway, and discovers that Peter's belief is based on the “sight” of a psychic 9-year old boy... a boy who talks to the resident ghost he calls The Sentinel.

I quite enjoyed this. It took a little bit to get into it and it's not a fast-paced book, but I liked (most of) the characters and I also liked the little romance that developed for Verity (though it was pretty low-key - till the end, anyway). ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 25, 2015 |
Well done mystery/romance that manages to cross time without being "hokey" or over dramatic. This author always manages to create a unique voice for her characters that you can't help but remember. This book stuck with me a little. ( )
  douglasse2 | Jun 30, 2015 |
A little bit ghost story and a little bit mystery with a cozy romantic element, The Shadowy Horses is a bit disappointing after having read Kearsley's much more exciting "Mariana." This is more or less your typical archaeologists-poking-around-old-roman-site-find-more-than-they-bargained-for type story. As a former archaeologist, these can be painful to read, but I have to admit Kearsley did her homework and I didn't cringe at the way she portrayed the archaeological process.

Kearsley is a good writer, and the story is entertaining and clips along. I just felt the whole punch of the plot was a little lacking, and this was more of a cozy love story than a true ghost story. The love story was predictable and ending wasn't terribly satisfying, but for a light read I liked it overall. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | Mar 3, 2015 |
Do you believe in ghosts? What about the gift of clairvoyance?

Archaeologist Verity Grey is invited to interview for a position on a dig by an old colleague—and ex-boyfriend—but is told next to nothing about the historical find until she arrives in the Scottish Borderlands. When she does, she finds the job will be working for the unconventional and somewhat disparaged, Peter Quinell who insists, after searching most of his life, that he found the resting place of the lost Ninth Roman Legion. Did he really or is it all a hoax? There is no archaeological evidence but rather only the word of a local boy who has seen the ghost of a Roman soldier wandering through the field. Is that enough to convince Verity and others?

As someone who loves history and a good ghost story, I was intrigued by the subject matter. As the story played out I wondered what would be the big reveal at the end and while there was a reveal, it was not the reveal I was expecting. The book is left kind of open ended which some may like but I was left wanting a bit more. This is the third book I have read by the author and it will not be the last, I enjoy her work and think she has a great story waiting inside of her. ( )
  Shuffy2 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I loved the archaeological and historical tie-ins, but I didn't love this book as much as [b:The Winter Sea|3392089|The Winter Sea (The Slains, #1)|Susanna Kearsley|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361281953s/3392089.jpg|3723657] and [b:The Rose Garden|9792287|The Rose Garden|Susanna Kearsley|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327951839s/9792287.jpg|14682378]. If you haven't read Susanna Kearsley before, you can start here, but you might be a bit disappointed if you have read some of her other novels first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible book. I did feel the relationships were underdeveloped and she barely scratched the surface of what she could have tied in historically. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I hear the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult, their eyes glimmering white...
O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream endless Desire,
the Horses of Disaster Plunge in the heavy clay;
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast
Drowning love's lonely hour in deep twilight of rest
and hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet

W B Yeats
He Bids His Beloved Be At Peace
To the people of Eyemouth: So many of you have had a hand in the creation of this book, and I have spent so many hours in your company that now your streets, your homes, your harbour have a warm familiar feel, and I no longer feel a stranger to your town. But I do not belong to Eyemouth. Despite my best efforts I'm sure there will be places in this book where you will find I've got some detail wrong, or used a turn of phrase that's not your own. I can only hope that you'll forgive me any errors. And I hope that you will all accept this novel as a gift of thanks, from one to whom you've always shown great kindness.
The bus had no business stopping where it did.

With its dark legends and passionate history, the windswept shores of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled by the challenge of uncovering an ancient Roman campsite in a small Scottish village. But as soon as she arrived, she felt danger in the air, and in the icy reserve of archaeologist David Fortune, and in the haunted eyes of the little boy who spoke of visions of a slain Roman sentinel.

The dark legends of Scotland were an archaeologist's dream. Verity Grey was thrilled to be at a dig for an ancient Roman camp in the Scottish village. But danger was in the air--in the icy reserve of archeologist David Fortune. In the haunted eyes to the little boy who had visions of a slain Roman sentinel. And in the unearthly sound of the ghostly Shadowy Horses, who carried men away to the land of the dead.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible