Virtual Light by William Gibson

Virtual Light (original 1993; edition 1994)

by William Gibson

4,192361,191 (3.61)50
Member:AltF4
Title:Virtual Light
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Spectra (1994), Paperback, 368 pages

Virtual Light by William Gibson (1993)

English (34)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (36)
Engaging characters and snappy writing. Gibson is becoming one of my most favorite authors. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
Was rather disappointed by this one, and I'm starting to get the feeling that Gibson's been writing the same book over and over. While the technology mattered in Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, Virtual Light seemed more like a on-the-run-from-bad-guys thriller set in a vagueishly sci-fi setting. The tech that was stolen could have just as well been a candy bar. I wanted to find out more about the plan on the tech (to rebuild San Fran after an earthquake), the Bay Bridge community, and all the other interesting bits that Gibson created. Instead, all of that seems to be zooming by on the outside while the story focuses on one long chase scene; it's always present but is very blurry and merely serves as a backdrop. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
This was an interesting cyberpunk novel. I liked the characters Berry and Chevette and how they worked together to figure out the story behind the special glasses. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Idoru. ( )
  krin5292 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I loved the Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer is one of my Top 5 Books of All Time), but this one was just meh. The characters and world Gibson created were fleshed-out and captivating, but the plot meandered everywhere and the pacing was much slower than his other works. I had to fight to stay interested. Maybe it was because my mind was wandering the whole time, but I didn't really get the point of the whole storyline, and I have no idea how the whole AIDS thing fit in. I'm sure I'll read the rest of Gibson's books soon (finishing out the Bridge trilogy and reading his other modern-day trilogy, the name of which is escaping me right now) because he has such a fantastic imagination and he knows how to write, but this one just bored me. ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 30, 2013 |

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunter, StuartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary Gaetano Bandiera,
major dude, our friend
The courier presses his forehead against layers of glass, argon, high-impact plastic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553566067, Paperback)

The author of Neuromancer takes you to the vividly realized near future of 2005. Welcome to NoCal and SoCal, the uneasy sister-states of what used to be California. Here the millennium has come and gone, leaving in its wake only stunned survivors. In Los Angeles, Berry Rydell is a former armed-response rentacop now working for a bounty hunter. Chevette Washington is a bicycle messenger turned pick-pocket who impulsively snatches a pair of innocent-looking sunglasses. But these are no ordinary shades. What you can see through these high-tech specs can make you rich--or get you killed. Now Berry and Chevette are on the run, zeroing in on the digitalized heart of DatAmerica, where pure information is the greatest high. And a mind can be a terrible thing to crash.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

Berry Rydell, an ex-cop, signs on with IntenSecure Armed Response in Los Angeles. He finds himself on a collision course that results in a desperate romance, and a journey into the ecstasy and dread that mirror each other at the heart of the postmodern experience.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140157727, 0241953502

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible