Kit's Wilderness by David Almond

Kit's Wilderness (1999)

by David Almond

Jeremy Visick by David Wiseman (karneol)
    karneol: Another British book about the spell of mining history.

This is a book that tries too hard. Almond is clearly a talented writer. He skillfully uses the "tools of his trade" but the end result falls far short of this writer's exceptional promise. The story (what little there is) is muddled and painfully dull. The ending feels rushed, as if his deadline had come and he just spit out the last twenty pages or so in the space of an hour. In short, I would not recommend this book to children or educators. There are talented writers out there who produce exceptional children's fiction, and Mr. Almond (in my opinion) isn't one of them. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Kit moves back to his father's home town to live with his grandfather. He gets involved in a game some of the other children of the old mining families play and when the game is abruptly brought to an end Kit continues to see ghosts of the children who died in the coal mines.

The narrator killed this for me. He had old man voice, which worked beautifully in some places but in others just ruined the whole tone of the story for me. ( )

Voor Sara Jane
Ze dachten dat we verdwenen waren, maar ze hadden het mis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416051, Mass Market Paperback)

Like David Almond's 1998 Whitbread-winning Skellig, this powerful, eerie, elegantly written novel celebrates the magic that is part of our existence--the magic that occurs when we dream at night, the magic that connects us to family long gone, the magic that connects humans to the land, and us all to each other. As Kit's grandfather puts it, "the tales and memories and dreams that keep the world alive."

It seems fated that 13-year-old Christopher Watson, nicknamed Kit, would move to Stoneygate, an old English coal-mining village where his ancestors lived, worked, and died. Evidence of the ancient coal pit is everywhere--depressions in the gardens, jagged cracks in the roadways, in his grandfather's old mining songs. A monument in the St. Thomas graveyard bears the name of child workers killed in the Stoneygate pit disaster of 1821, including Kit's own name--Christopher Watson, aged 13--the name of a distant uncle. At the top of this high, narrow pyramid-shaped monument is the name John Askew, the same name of Kit's classmate who takes the connection between this monument and life--and death--very seriously.

The drama unfolds as the haunted, hulking, dark-eyed John Askew draws Kit and other classmates into the game of Death, a spin-the-knife, pretend-to-die game that he hosts in a deep hole dug in the earth, with candles, bones, and carved pictures of the children of the old families of Stoneygate. Kit the writer and Askew the artist belong together, Askew keeps telling him. "Your stories is like my drawings, Kit. They take you back deep into the dark and show it lives within us still.... You see it, don't you? You're starting to see that you and me is just the same." Are they, though?

Kit's Wilderness conjures a world where the past is alive in the present and creeps into the future--a world where ancestral ghosts and even the slow-changing geology of the landscape are as tangible as lunch. Powerful images of darkness exploding into "lovely lovely light" filter throughout the story, as Almond boldly explores the dark side and unearths a joyful message of redemption. (Ages 11 and much, much older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:23 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Kit goes to live with his grandfather in the decaying coal mining town of Stoneygate, England, and finds both the old man and the town haunted by ghosts of the past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible