Rumpole Rests His Case by John Mortimer

Rumpole Rests His Case (2001)

by John Mortimer

I suppose it would be interesting (to me, anyway) to make a list of my favorite literary series over the years. The Modesty Blaise books would certainly be listed highly, as would the Tarzan adventures and the James Bond novels. Harry Potter, for sure. This series by John Mortimer, a former English barrister who has created one of my favorite characters in the corpulent, opinionated, cynically idealistic and humorously curmudgeonly Horace Rumpole of the Bailey, the "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity", is rapidly rising among my favorite series.

This is a collection of seven Rumpole stories, all fine and humorous. My favorites, I think, are "Rumpole and the Old Familiar Faces", a nice mix of Yuletide cynicism and sentiment, and "Rumpole and the Asylum Seekers", in which John Mortimer (and Rumpole) make no secret of their disgust at the willingness of governments to sacrifice rights and liberty for security, ultimately deserving (and achieving) neither. ( )
  burnit99 | Mar 18, 2016 |
Although not all the mysteries are completely up to the usual standard, the wit and humour are as enjoyable as ever. I also very much enjoyed the final summing up of Rumpole in his hospital bed. It seems like Mortimer wanted to end here but didn't, as I have a nice another Rumpole to enjoy.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
I had a sneaking feeling the whole time that I had read these stories before. It is both the blessing and curse of Mortimer's writing. It is well written, enjoyable to read, memorable characters, but not really memorable plots. They are so easy to read that they don't stick too well. The one thing I got from this reading was that Mortimer lived very near where I live now and named a lot of the minor characters and places around places that are nearbly. There was a Lady Shiplake and a Lady Binfield (both places near Henley-on-Thames or Turville, where he lived). I loved the reference to the Parallelogram Centre (instead of Reading's Hexagon Centre). That one made me chuckle. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
It was OK, Rumpole shows through, it was a quick read but not one I couldn't set down.

Cubbyfan99 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142003476, Paperback)

The comic, courageous, and corpulent Horace Rumpole reenters the fray in these seven fresh and funny stories in which the "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity" triumphs over the forces of prejudice and mean-mindedness while he tiptoes precariously through the domestic territory of his wife, Hilda-She Who Must Be Obeyed! With his passion for poetry, and a nose equally sensitive to the whiff of wrongdoing and the bouquet of a Château Thames Embankment, the lovable and disheveled Rumpole "is at his rumpled best" (The New York Times).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:33 -0400)

"When your life at the Bar has been as rich as Rumpole's, the past is best avoided. Who knows what might have happened to that dubious boy you got off a motoring charge at Swansea in the early eighties? Or that young man who went down for a minor case of safe-breaking, despite your best endeavours?" "But the past has a funny habit of intruding nevertheless. When Rumpole takes an unwanted Christmas break in the country, he feels sure that he's met the local squire before. And that pantomime dame treading the boards at the Tufnell Park Empire seems oddly familiar ... Strangest of all, Rumpole is forced to delve back into the hippy-dippy sixties when the skeleton of a young woman is found under the floorboards of a derelict house." "Some things never go away, of course: Pommeroy's Wine Bar continues to serve up its best Chateau Thames Embankment, Claude Erskine-Brown - suffering the pain of a trial separation from the delectable Portia - remains as inadequate an advocate as ever, and She Who Must Be Obeyed still insists that Rumpole socialize with her old schoolfriends. But there's new wind blowing too in this dazzling collection of new Rumpole stories: for the first time Rumpole finds himself appearing for an asylum-seeker at the Appeals Tribunal, and - worst of all - his chambers have become a smoke-free zone." "Perhaps it's all too much for Rumpole? Is the day coming when the lights will go out even on one of the greatest advocates to grace the Old Bailey?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible