The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

The Dreaming Void (2007)

by Peter F. Hamilton

Series: Void Trilogy (1), Commonwealth Universe (5)

1,687384,235 (3.96)1 / 71

Great start to an amazing trilogy. ( )
  rmateu | Jun 30, 2017 |
No disappointment, delivers an intersting tale! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book is so, so different from what I normally read that I'm not even sure where to start. I know that Peter F. Hamilton is one of my boyfriend's favorite authors, and he's been suggesting to me for years that I try out some of his favorite epic fantasy novels. So I guess it's just a coincidence that when I got really frustrated with young adult/new adult as a whole, I saw Hamilton's new novel, The Abyss Beyond Dreams, pop up on Netgalley. I never thought I would be approved -- most of my Netgalley approvals are embarrassing romance novels -- but for some reason, Del Rey decided to take a chance on me and approve the request. I had a little moment of panic when I received that approval email, because, after all, now I needed to read almost 2000 pages of the Void trilogy to really understand what's going on. What if I didn't like it? What had I gotten myself into?

I didn't need to worry. It was a little bit of a change, going from reading fluffy romances to the intricate world that Hamilton has built in his Void series. Instead of following one character, you're following a good dozen or so, but it's easy enough to adjust.

I'm actually surprised at how much I liked The Dreaming Void.

Suffice it to say that there's a lot going on in The Dreaming Void. While there are a handful of stories carefully woven together, it's split into two main sections taking place in two different worlds. I will admit that at the beginning of the novel, I was so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information that I was getting that I didn't quite know what to do with myself. It took me almost a week to read the first 200 pages, and then another week to finish the remaining 400 . The story starts off a little slow, but then really picks up steam as Edeard's story unfolds and it becomes apparent why a religion began as a result of his actions.

I wish that I'd actually started with the Commonwealth series to have a bit more background on this universe, but then I'd be even further from completing The Abyss Beyond Dreams prior to its release date. (I suppose I can always go back and read it once I've finished the next three books.)

I'm already fairly deep into The Temporal Void, and I'm looking forward to finding out what comes next for these characters that I've grown to love. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
Great tale in the future. Science fiction as a grand story ... and part of a larger story as well. Riviting tale in 600 + pages! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Some engaging elements, such as Inigo's Dreams, but I felt I heard too much of the author's own voice in explanations and some character's thoughts and so wasn't totally absorbed by the story. Hamilton appears to have quite a blunt writing style at times, which I feel didn't do his characters justice (and in certain scenes I felt the writer was acting in a similar way in his writing to what he charges the character Likan with doing with his personal relationships...).

The funny thing is, a few times throughout the book I kept thinking, "You know, I think I'd much rather he wrote books about this Starflyer war, it sounds really interesting!". Then I find out this trillogy is sequel ( 1400 years) to the Commonwealth Saga, which is actually set during that war... Wish I'd known that before!

That being said, this is not a bad novel but maybe lacks somewhat in polish compared with a book such as Paul McAuley's "The Quiet War", which I think does a better and more engaging job of enviseging biological manipulation/evolution and the tensions between human outward expansion vs. the inward looking elements. I may still buy the next book to see where Hamilton goes with it though, and probably the Commonwealth Saga once I've forgotten some of what I now know about how that turns out! ( )
  torfeida. | Jan 21, 2016 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Longworth, TobyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The starship CNE Caragana slipped down out of a night sky, its grey and scarlett hull illuminated by the pale iridescence of the massive ion storms which beset space for lightyears in every direction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549654X, Mass Market Paperback)

Reviewers exhaust superlatives when it comes to the science fiction of Peter F. Hamilton. His complex and engaging novels, which span thousands of years–and light-years–are as intellectually stimulating as they are emotionally fulfilling. Now, with The Dreaming Void, the eagerly awaited first volume in a new trilogy set in the same far-future as his acclaimed Commonwealth saga, Hamilton has created his most ambitious and gripping space epic yet.

The year is 3589, fifteen hundred years after Commonwealth forces barely staved off human extinction in a war against the alien Prime. Now an even greater danger has surfaced: a threat to the existence of the universe itself.
At the very heart of the galaxy is the Void, a self-contained microuniverse that cannot be breached, cannot be destroyed, and cannot be stopped as it steadily expands in all directions, consuming everything in its path: planets, stars, civilizations. The Void has existed for untold millions of years. Even the oldest and most technologically advanced of the galaxy’s sentient races, the Raiel, do not know its origin, its makers, or its purpose.

But then Inigo, an astrophysicist studying the Void, begins dreaming of human beings who live within it. Inigo’s dreams reveal a world in which thoughts become actions and dreams become reality. Inside the Void, Inigo sees paradise. Thanks to the gaiafield, a neural entanglement wired into most humans, Inigo’s dreams are shared by hundreds of millions–and a religion, the Living Dream, is born, with Inigo as its prophet. But then he vanishes.

Suddenly there is a new wave of dreams. Dreams broadcast by an unknown Second Dreamer serve as the inspiration for a massive Pilgrimage into the Void. But there is a chance that by attempting to enter the Void, the pilgrims will trigger a catastrophic expansion, an accelerated devourment phase that will swallow up thousands of worlds.

And thus begins a desperate race to find Inigo and the mysterious Second Dreamer. Some seek to prevent the Pilgrimage; others to speed its progress–while within the Void, a supreme entity has turned its gaze, for the first time, outward. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:11 -0400)

At the center of the galaxy is the Dreaming Void, an artificial black hole that may hold paradise within its walls. When a human named Inigo begins dreaming of what lies within the Void, the word spreads, triggering a religious pilgrimage into the Void and possibly a catastrophic expansion that threatens the peace of the Commonwealth Universe.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,534,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible