Skellig by David Almond

Skellig (1998)

by David Almond

Series: Skellig (1)

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (pdillon)
    The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh (Shanshad)
    Mister Boots by Carol Emshwiller (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: gentle magic to get the characters through really rough patches
    Stig of the Dump by Clive King (chrisharpe)
    A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel García Márquez (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Though "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" is a short story for adults and Skellig is a children's novel, both deal with the appearance of an unconventional angel-like figure and how that inexplicable appearance transforms the everyday world.

Cos'è questo piccolo gioiello incastrato tra libri inutili e scaffali di formica impolverati? Per quale motivo non viene dato ai ragazzi come dono per i loro 10 anni? Perche' un qualsiasi libro di Oreglio vende il triplo? Come ha fatto Almond ad essere toccato dalla grazia leggera della fantasia? Come mai nel mio garage non c'e' nessun ragno e non si vede volare una mosca? Cosa fanno i gufi quando non nutrono i loro piccoli? ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
I really loved this book. Well written and not very predictable... a quick read too. ( )
  EllenAllen | Sep 29, 2014 |
Phenomenal storytelling! I haven't read a book of this caliber in a loooonnnnng time. ( )
  lorsomething | Aug 11, 2014 |
Loved this book almost as much as My Name is Mina! I enjoyed Almond's beautiful writing and wonderful story of compassion. I think young readers would enjoy debating what Skellig is and hopefully, learn from Michael and Mina's willingness to help this broken creature. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Michael's new baby sister has fallen ill, and his world is quickly falling apart. Then he finds someone, or something, in his family's dilapidated garage who will change is life forever. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 26, 2014 |
For Freya Grace
I found him in the garage on a Sunday afternoon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038532653X, Hardcover)

"I thought he was dead. He was sitting with his legs stretched out and his head tipped back against the wall. He was covered with dust and webs like everything else and his face was thin and pale. Dead bluebottles were scattered on his hair and shoulders. I shined the flashlight on his white face and his black suit."

This is Michael's introduction to Skellig, the man-owl-angel who lies motionless behind the tea chests in the abandoned garage in back of the boy's dilapidated new house. As disturbing as this discovery is, it is the least of Michael's worries. The new house is a mess, his parents are distracted, and his brand-new baby sister is seriously ill. Still, he can't get this mysterious creature out of his mind--even as he wonders if he has really seen him at all. What unfolds is a powerful, cosmic, dreamlike tale reminiscent of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. British novelist David Almond works magic as he examines the large issues of death, life, friendship, love, and the breathtaking connections between all things.

Amidst the intensity and anxiety of his world, Michael is a normal kid. He goes to school, plays soccer, and has friends with nicknames like Leakey and Coot. It's at home where his life becomes extraordinary, with the help of Skellig and Mina, the quirky, strong-willed girl next door with "the kind of eyes you think can see right through you." Mina and her mother's motto is William Blake's "How can a bird that is born for joy / Sit in a cage and sing?" This question carries us through the book, as we see Michael's baby sister trapped in a hospital incubator; as we see the exquisite, winged Skellig crumpled in the garage; as we meet Mina's precious blackbird chicks and the tawny owls in her secret attic; and as we finally see a braver, bolder Michael spread his wings and fly. Skellig was the Whitbread Award's 1998 Children's Book of the Year, and this haunting novel is sure to resonate with readers young and old. (Ages 10 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Unhappy about his baby sister's illness and the chaos of moving into a dilapidated old house, Michael retreats to the garage and finds a mysterious stranger who is something like a bird and something like an angel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible