Skellig by David Almond

Skellig (1998)

by David Almond

Series: Skellig (1)

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (pdillon)
    Mister Boots by Carol Emshwiller (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: gentle magic to get the characters through really rough patches
    The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh (Shanshad)
    A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel García Márquez (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Though "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" is a short story for adults and Skellig is a children's novel, both deal with the appearance of an unconventional angel-like figure and how that inexplicable appearance transforms the everyday world.
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    Stig of the Dump by Clive King (chrisharpe)

English (163)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (165)
Ten-year-old Michael was looking forward to moving into a new house. But now his baby sister is ill, his parents are frantic, and Doctor Death has come to call. Michael feels helpless. Then he steps into the crumbling garage. . . . What is this thing beneath the spiders' webs and dead flies? A human being, or a strange kind of beast never before seen? The only person Michael can confide in is his new friend, Mina. Together, they carry the creature out into the light, and Michael's world changes forever. . . .
  Lake_O_UCC | Jul 8, 2018 |
First encountered this as an audio cassette with the author reading - so when I read the book I had his Newcastle accent firmly in place and adding rythm and rhyme to every page. Not that it needs any addition - the first person voice works really well and the book captures a lovely synthesis between a magical world (Skellig), an everyday world (school and moving house) and a world in crisis (sick baby sister). ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
Wow. Picked up at the library on a whim (and on Matthew's library card) and totally loved it. Devoured in two brief sessions. Thoroughly recommended. ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. So much packed into one story. Skellig questions, in a gentle way, where we've come from, who we are, and who we might become, and left me with a renewed sense of wonder at the natural world around me. ( )
  Elizabeth_Foster | Nov 3, 2017 |
add
  HoughHouse | Jul 21, 2017 |
For Freya Grace
I found him in the garage on a Sunday afternoon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038532653X, Hardcover)

"I thought he was dead. He was sitting with his legs stretched out and his head tipped back against the wall. He was covered with dust and webs like everything else and his face was thin and pale. Dead bluebottles were scattered on his hair and shoulders. I shined the flashlight on his white face and his black suit."

This is Michael's introduction to Skellig, the man-owl-angel who lies motionless behind the tea chests in the abandoned garage in back of the boy's dilapidated new house. As disturbing as this discovery is, it is the least of Michael's worries. The new house is a mess, his parents are distracted, and his brand-new baby sister is seriously ill. Still, he can't get this mysterious creature out of his mind--even as he wonders if he has really seen him at all. What unfolds is a powerful, cosmic, dreamlike tale reminiscent of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. British novelist David Almond works magic as he examines the large issues of death, life, friendship, love, and the breathtaking connections between all things.

Amidst the intensity and anxiety of his world, Michael is a normal kid. He goes to school, plays soccer, and has friends with nicknames like Leakey and Coot. It's at home where his life becomes extraordinary, with the help of Skellig and Mina, the quirky, strong-willed girl next door with "the kind of eyes you think can see right through you." Mina and her mother's motto is William Blake's "How can a bird that is born for joy / Sit in a cage and sing?" This question carries us through the book, as we see Michael's baby sister trapped in a hospital incubator; as we see the exquisite, winged Skellig crumpled in the garage; as we meet Mina's precious blackbird chicks and the tawny owls in her secret attic; and as we finally see a braver, bolder Michael spread his wings and fly. Skellig was the Whitbread Award's 1998 Children's Book of the Year, and this haunting novel is sure to resonate with readers young and old. (Ages 10 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Unhappy about his baby sister's illness and the chaos of moving into a dilapidated old house, Michael retreats to the garage and finds a mysterious stranger who is something like a bird and something like an angel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible