Skellig by David Almond

Skellig (1998)

by David Almond

Series: Skellig (1)

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (pdillon)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    Mister Boots by Carol Emshwiller (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: gentle magic to get the characters through really rough patches
    Stig of the Dump by Clive King (chrisharpe)
    A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel García Márquez (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Though "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" is a short story for adults and Skellig is a children's novel, both deal with the appearance of an unconventional angel-like figure and how that inexplicable appearance transforms the everyday world.
    The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh (Shanshad)

This was a lovely book. Michael discovers a strange man/creature in the rotting garage of his new home. He shares the secret with only his new friend Mina and together they help Skelling. A touching and unusual story. It made me want to listen better. Uplifting without being overly sentimental. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Another book that I just did not like. This book was selected as required reading for my International Children's Literature class that I am enrolled in this Summer. I felt the story was too grim. The main character is tormented with the fact that his baby sister is ill and dying. He has to move with his family to a run down house, he misses school because he is stressed over the baby's illness and frequent trips to the hospital and on top of that he discovers a creature living in his backyard. But the creature is dying and is half human and half something else. This story was just to confusing and out there for me. It brought no joy to me and I did not enjoy the characters or what they were going through. The creature is never really defined or understood either. I was glad when it was over and glad that it was a short book. I gave it two stars because I liked the supporting character Mia. She was strong, independent, smart and adventurous. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Found this one to be a bit shallow and one-dimensional. I didn't have sympathy for any of the characters and would probably have put the book down if it had not been short. I know it's a juvenile-oriented book, but that doesn't mean that it has to lack substance. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Michael and his family have just moved. His baby sister is not doing well, health-wise. When Michael is exploring he finds someone – a little... different – in the garage.

It was good. It's children's lit, so it moved quite quickly: sentences and chapters were short. I mostly enjoyed the story, but I am unsure whether or not I liked Michael's new friend, Mina. It was a short book, so it was a quick read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 9, 2016 |
I admit that I had a hard time getting into this book. I actually had to restart it once. Having listened to the whole thing it was an interesting book. It was beautifully written and there are so many unanswered questions about Skellig and his origins. I was glad to see how it all turned out. The extra content was extremely interesting. I liked hearing about the author's inspiration and Mina's journal entry. The music I did not enjoy as much but I think it just wasn't what I was expecting. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For Freya Grace
I found him in the garage on a Sunday afternoon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038532653X, Hardcover)

"I thought he was dead. He was sitting with his legs stretched out and his head tipped back against the wall. He was covered with dust and webs like everything else and his face was thin and pale. Dead bluebottles were scattered on his hair and shoulders. I shined the flashlight on his white face and his black suit."

This is Michael's introduction to Skellig, the man-owl-angel who lies motionless behind the tea chests in the abandoned garage in back of the boy's dilapidated new house. As disturbing as this discovery is, it is the least of Michael's worries. The new house is a mess, his parents are distracted, and his brand-new baby sister is seriously ill. Still, he can't get this mysterious creature out of his mind--even as he wonders if he has really seen him at all. What unfolds is a powerful, cosmic, dreamlike tale reminiscent of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. British novelist David Almond works magic as he examines the large issues of death, life, friendship, love, and the breathtaking connections between all things.

Amidst the intensity and anxiety of his world, Michael is a normal kid. He goes to school, plays soccer, and has friends with nicknames like Leakey and Coot. It's at home where his life becomes extraordinary, with the help of Skellig and Mina, the quirky, strong-willed girl next door with "the kind of eyes you think can see right through you." Mina and her mother's motto is William Blake's "How can a bird that is born for joy / Sit in a cage and sing?" This question carries us through the book, as we see Michael's baby sister trapped in a hospital incubator; as we see the exquisite, winged Skellig crumpled in the garage; as we meet Mina's precious blackbird chicks and the tawny owls in her secret attic; and as we finally see a braver, bolder Michael spread his wings and fly. Skellig was the Whitbread Award's 1998 Children's Book of the Year, and this haunting novel is sure to resonate with readers young and old. (Ages 10 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Unhappy about his baby sister's illness and the chaos of moving into a dilapidated old house, Michael retreats to the garage and finds a mysterious stranger who is something like a bird and something like an angel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,616,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible