The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Earthsea Quartet (1990)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (Omnibus 1-4)

English (23)  Finnish (1)  All (24)
How on earth had I not read these books before? Simply wonderful fantasy from start to finish, and I don't know quite how it escaped my notice for so long. "The Tombs of Atuan" was probably my favorite, but all four tales are so different that it's difficult to judge them as a group. Lovely. ( )
2 vote JBD1 | Dec 10, 2016 |

Reviews:

A Wizard of Earthsea 5/5

The Tombs of Atuan 4/5

The Farthest Shore 2/5
The Farthest Shore reads like an author forced to do a sequel who, out of spite or frustration, uses the sequel to destroy the world of the story.

Not recommended.
  rakerman | Nov 17, 2016 |
Rating broken down:

A Wizard of Earthsea - ★★★★☆
The Tombs of Atuan - ★★★★★
The Farthest Shore - ★★★☆☆
Tehanu - ★★★★☆ ( )
  tinncan | Jan 10, 2016 |
This edition includes the first 4 books of the Earthsea cycle, as well as the map illustrations from each book.
Le Guin is a master of writing, or so to say. The first time I read "A Wizard of Earthsea" I didn't like it. Only some years later I could see why that was: Back then I read the german translation instead of reading the english original. Language is important in the world of Earthsea. If it wasn't, all the spells wouldn't work. Le Guin takes you on an adventure of the Archipelago in the first book, into the world of the Kargard Lands in the second book, to mend the world in the third and then gives you more insight about magic and Ged's healing in the fourth.
If you like magic, dragons and witty wizards whose power comes from words, then this is a book for you. The author shows how words can be magic, just as a story inspires the reader's mind and paints a picture inside. ( )
1 vote Sparrowlicious | Apr 13, 2015 |
I love this book - and it has stayed with me - I often come back to Ged's journey to himself and consider my own inner journey. A very powerful look at individuation told through fantasy. ( )
  StephBradley | Dec 11, 2014 |

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drechsler, ArndtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linnert, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paronis, MargotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The four books of the legendary Earthsea saga together for the first time in a single volume: A wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu. Ursula Le Guins creation, Earthsea - an ancient world of wizards, magic, darkness and light, and an ever - shifting balance of power - is an acknowledged masterpiece.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140154272, 0140348034, 0241956870

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,224,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible