The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Earthsea Quartet (1990)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (Omnibus 1-4)

English (18)  Finnish (1)  All languages (19)
Reading it for the first time now, I was underwhelemed by the first story, maybe because so many recent authors I like have been influenced by it and have used its ideas and plot points in their own books, so the newness of it all was missing.
However, I loved the other 3 stories, and I thought they were really great. ( )
  ScarletBea | Feb 15, 2014 |
Beautiful, beautiful books. Mostly devoid of Ursula Le Guin's politics, although I suppose there's something in the main characters all being dark-skinned, and in the observations -- particularly in Tehanu -- about the differences between men's power and women's power. Great fantasy. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
A Wizard of Earthsea - 3.5
The Tombs of Atuan - 4.0
The Farthest Shore - 3.0
Tehanu - 3.5 ( )
  tribalwolf | Jan 25, 2013 |
It's taken me a long time to read any Ursula Le Guin and I've been missing out! A beautiful crafted world with it's own set of ideals and morals.
A Wizard Of Earthsea - is the introduction to the world and follows the adventures of Ged as he embraces his wizarding powers and learns that all actions have a consequence. A little slow to start but once you are in the world, totally gripping.
The Tombs of Atuan - is my favourite of the quartet. It's very engaging, easy to read and has a strong message of light and shade alongside the questioning of one's faith. A story I want to return too as I don't feel I managed to do it justice in my first reading.
The Farthest Shore - what happens when magic begins to die? Le Guin looks at the inevitability of death and why it's necessary for the continuation of other things. I much prefer Ged as the learned mentor, somehow it seems to suit him better than when he was younger.
Tehanu - the final book in the quartet continues where the previous story left off, but switches the emphasis to Tenar. There is a different kind of magic at work here as love seems to be the main thread, coinciding with Ged's loss of powers.
Overall, a brilliant set of stories which suck you into a believable world of magic, philosophy and human relationships. ( )
2 vote soliloquies | Jul 3, 2011 |
Just finished the last of the four novels in this compilation book.They were all good stories in themselves, though all very different. The Tombs of Atuan I found the hardest to get into and enjoyed the least. The Wizard of Earthsea is probably the best of them and the other two are on a par. Good fantasy and well written. This was my first Ursula LeGuin so I'll try a few more. ( )
1 vote Neale | Mar 27, 2011 |

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The four books of the legendary Earthsea saga together for the first time in a single volume: A wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu. Ursula Le Guins creation, Earthsea - an ancient world of wizards, magic, darkness and light, and an ever - shifting balance of power - is an acknowledged masterpiece.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140154272, 0140348034, 0241956870

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible