The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Earthsea Quartet (1990)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (Omnibus 1-4)

English (19)  Finnish (1)  All languages (20)
[This review only covers A Wizard of Earthsea. Will expand it when I continue with the series.]

Plot:
Ged grows up in a small village where it soon becomes apparent that he has special magic powers. So he is sent to grow up with his aunt, a witch. But Ged has bigger plans and a great thirst for power, so when he is offered the chance to be the apprentice to famous wizard Ogion, he doesn’t hesitate. But even so, his thirst for power isn’t quenched yet.

I have to admit that A Wizard of Earthsea was a frustrating read. I didn’t like Ged a whole lot, especially in the beginning and the disjointed way the novel progressed, without any real plot development, didn’t make things easier. I was also annoyed at the treatment of the women in it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2014/08/15/a-wizard-of-earthsea-ursula-k-le-guin/ ( )
  kalafudra | Aug 27, 2014 |
Reading it for the first time now, I was underwhelemed by the first story, maybe because so many recent authors I like have been influenced by it and have used its ideas and plot points in their own books, so the newness of it all was missing.
However, I loved the other 3 stories, and I thought they were really great. ( )
  ScarletBea | Feb 15, 2014 |
Beautiful, beautiful books. Mostly devoid of Ursula Le Guin's politics, although I suppose there's something in the main characters all being dark-skinned, and in the observations -- particularly in Tehanu -- about the differences between men's power and women's power. Great fantasy. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
A Wizard of Earthsea - 3.5
The Tombs of Atuan - 4.0
The Farthest Shore - 3.0
Tehanu - 3.5 ( )
  tribalwolf | Jan 25, 2013 |
It's taken me a long time to read any Ursula Le Guin and I've been missing out! A beautiful crafted world with it's own set of ideals and morals.
A Wizard Of Earthsea - is the introduction to the world and follows the adventures of Ged as he embraces his wizarding powers and learns that all actions have a consequence. A little slow to start but once you are in the world, totally gripping.
The Tombs of Atuan - is my favourite of the quartet. It's very engaging, easy to read and has a strong message of light and shade alongside the questioning of one's faith. A story I want to return too as I don't feel I managed to do it justice in my first reading.
The Farthest Shore - what happens when magic begins to die? Le Guin looks at the inevitability of death and why it's necessary for the continuation of other things. I much prefer Ged as the learned mentor, somehow it seems to suit him better than when he was younger.
Tehanu - the final book in the quartet continues where the previous story left off, but switches the emphasis to Tenar. There is a different kind of magic at work here as love seems to be the main thread, coinciding with Ged's loss of powers.
Overall, a brilliant set of stories which suck you into a believable world of magic, philosophy and human relationships. ( )
2 vote soliloquies | Jul 3, 2011 |

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The four books of the legendary Earthsea saga together for the first time in a single volume: A wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu. Ursula Le Guins creation, Earthsea - an ancient world of wizards, magic, darkness and light, and an ever - shifting balance of power - is an acknowledged masterpiece.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140154272, 0140348034, 0241956870

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible