The Name Of This Book Is Secret by…

The Name Of This Book Is Secret (2007)

by Pseudonymous Bosch

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (megan003)
    The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (kaledrina)
    The Exquisite Corpse Adventure by National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (keeneam)
    keeneam: Same idea of a narrator talking to the reader, adding commentary with humor
    Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow (octixam)
    octixam: I think people who read "The Name" should read Here Be Monsters because its just as funny and also very creative.

Fun book in the tradition of Lemony Snicket, right down to the narrator who's a bit reluctant to tell the story, to the mid-narrative vocabulary lessons (here we learn "nonchalant" and "denouement").

The hero and heroine are both spunky but a little two-dimensional, and the plotline stretches credibility just a bit. The villains kidnap children with synesthesia, because their brains contain the equivalent of a philosophers' stone, the secret of eternal youth. And get this, the ancient villains, who have been preying on synesthetic kids for hundreds of years but haven't perfected the formula, look beautifully young everywhere except their hands, which are so blue-veined and wrinkly-skinned that they all have to wear gloves constantly.

I still had some questions left at the end -- maybe they're answered in subsequent books? But my very favorite part of this book was that, when someone asked, "What are you reading?", I got to reply, "The Name of This Book is Secret"! Too fun! ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Cute idea, writing a series of books each based on a sense, and my kids cannot wait until we read the next one together. But it was a bit too gimmicky for me. I am not a fan of cliffhanger endings, especially when I'm reading a book aloud at bedtime and am looking for a good stopping place, and every single chapter of this book ended with a cliffhanger. Well, except for the last chapter(s), which were more like a cop-out than a true ending.

Regardless, I'm tied into reading the rest of the series because I can't help but indulge my children when they ask me to read to them. Darned maternal love. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 19, 2015 |
So much fun to read. I can't wait to pass this on to my eleven year old granddaughter! ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
derivative ( )
  atuson | Sep 7, 2014 |
For W.P. May
WARNING: DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS PAGE!

This is the story about a secret. but it also contains a secret story.

When adventurous detectives, Cass, an ever-vigilant survivalist, and Max-Ernest, a boy driven by logic, discover the Symphony of Smells, a box filled with smelly vials of colorful ingredients, they accidentally stumble upon a mystery surrounding a dead magician's diary and the hunt for immortality.

Filled with word games, anagrams, and featuring a mysterious narrator, this is a book that won't stay secret for long.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Two eleven-year-old misfits try to solve the mystery of a dead magician and stop the evil Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais, who are searching for the secret of immortality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible