Gosta Berling's Saga by Selma Lagerlof

Gosta Berling's Saga (original 1891; edition 1997)

by Selma Lagerlof

6911313,895 (3.84)1 / 83
Member:mway
Title:Gosta Berling's Saga
Authors:Selma Lagerlof
Info:

The Story of Gösta Berling by Selma Lagerlöf (1891)

Körkarlen / Thy Soul Shall Bear Witness! by Selma Lagerlöf (MikeMonkey)
    MikeMonkey: Samma magiska berättarglädje och ordkonst.

English (8)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (13)
I liked Selma Lagerlof's "Gosta Berling's Saga" but I didn't exactly love it. The book has a very folk tale feel to it -- which I both liked and disliked.

The folk tales were fairly interesting and had good, solid stories to them, However, the characters felt sort of cardboard to me, so it made the book a slow read since I really didn't connect with anyone. ( )
  amerynth | May 14, 2014 |
This is a romantic novel in every sense of the word, and mythical too. Set along a lake in northern Sweden in the early part of the 19th century, it tells the tale of Gösta Berling interwoven with the stories of other residents of the area, along with a dash of the supernatural.

Who is Gösta Berling? In the prologue, the reader learns that he started out in life as a preacher but fell prey to drink, was defrocked and set out as a traveling beggar. But the majoress (wife of a major) of Ekeby, owner of seven mines and the most powerful and richest person (not just woman) around, takes him to her household as one of the twelve "cavaliers" who live there -- a group of men who have fallen on hard times and who live a life of entertainment that borders on dissolution, playing music, eating and drinking, wild parties, etc. Unlike many of the cavaliers, Gösta is young.

The novel takes place over the course of a year -- 12 months -- starting at a Christmas feast at which the cavaliers make a pact with the devil that gives them control of Ekeby for a year and sends the majoress out into the world to beg for her living. Gösta attracts women and vice versa. As the year progresses, several tragic romantic attachments occur, with flashbacks to others. At the same time, other events take place in the villages and farms surrounding the lake, and each of the cavaliers faces a challenge of some kind. The novel builds to its climax as the next Christmas rolls around and the pact with the devil expires.

Such is a broad outline of the novel, but it hardly gives the flavor of Lagerlöf's writing or the broad scope of the book. Local history, geography, the beauty and the threat of nature, fairy tales, and a strong thread of self-effacing religion all play a role. Lagerlöf, as novelist, frequently addresses the reader, often characterizing the time she is writing about (less than 100 years earlier) as olden times, a time of legend. Her characters are often more symbolic than real, and their actions sometimes not entirely believable but this is not a book meant to be taken literally. Her writing can be dramatic, and this worked best for me lyrical (but often haunted) passages about nature. In fact nature, as it affects people, is a character too. Some examples of Lagerlöf's writing:

"He knew every tree the way you know your siblings and playmates." p. 240

"But we were thinking, we, in the peculiar spirit of self-observation, which had already made its way inside us. We were thinking about him with the eyes of ice and the long, crooked fingers, he who sits in the soul's darkest corner and tears apart our being, the way old women pick apart scraps of silk and wool." p. 112

"Oh month of May, that lovely time when the birches blend their light greenery into the dark of the spruce forests, and when the south wind comes again far from the south saturate by heat!

I must seem more ungrateful than others who have enjoyed your gifts, you beautiful month. Not a word have I used to show your beauty. . . .

May others listen to talk of flowers and sunshine, but for myself I choose dark nights, full of visions and adventures, for me the hard fates, for me the sorrow-filled passions of wild hearts."
pp. 226-227

The grieving mouth is easily forced to smile, but someone who is happy cannot weep. The old ballads believe in tears and sighs, in sorrow alone and the signs of sorrow. Sorrow is real, is lasting, it is the firm bedrock under loose sand. In sorrow one can believe and in the signs of sorrow.

But happiness is only sorrow that is playacting. There is really nothing on the earth but sorrow."
p. 296

Depressed yet? There is some fun in this book too!

At times, the thread of piety and the virtues of serving others without thought of person vanity got to me, but there was also plenty of adventure and romance. This book grew on me.
4 vote rebeccanyc | Apr 4, 2014 |
In 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the first woman to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Born in Värmland, Sweden in 1858, Lagerlöf published her first and most renowned novel, Gösta Berlings Saga in 1891. It was first translated into English in 1898. Paul Norlen's new translation for Penguin Classics is the first major translation in over a hundred years, and it is a splendid introduction to Selma Lagerlöf. More at Belletrista : http://www.belletrista.com/2010/issue8/reviews_15.php ( )
1 vote janeajones | Mar 8, 2011 |

This seemed to me a fairly painless way of dipping my toe in the lake of great Swedish writing, Lagerlöf having been the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. It is more a series of linked short stories than a novel, mainly telling the story of a year in the life of Gösta Berling, a somewhat dissolute unfrocked clergyman who is given a chance to redeem himself through the exercise of social and moral responsibility. It reminded me a bit of both George Eliot and Tolstoy in the emotional agonies of village life, with of course the climate being much colder (and some overt intervention from supernatural beings). Frankly, Lagerlöf is not as deep as either Eliot or Tolstoy, and I felt not quite convinced that Berling deserves our sympathy as much as she seemed to believe; in particular, he is pretty dismal in his relationships with women. Still, it is an engaging book with some brilliant moments (mainly involving the battle of humans against the elements). ( )
1 vote nwhyte | May 22, 2008 |
I could hardly finish this book; the only reason I did finish was because it won the Nobel Prize, of all things. It was a kind of silly story with a goofy hero like Don Quixote which is another all time unfavorite book of mine; read in Maui 2007; retrieved from my reference 1001 BOOKS YOU SHOULD READ BEFORE YOU DIE ( )
1 vote lindawwilson | Feb 22, 2008 |

Lagerlöf, Selmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klaiber-Gottschau, PaulineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyboom, MargarethaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norlen, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoolfield, George C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Äntligen stod prästen i predikstolen

A Swedish Gone with the Wind by the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature—published here in the first new English translation in more than 100 years

One hundred years ago, Selma Lagerlöf became the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. She assured her place in Swedish letters with this sweeping historical epic, her first and best-loved novel, and the basis for the 1924 silent film of the same name that launched Greta Garbo to stardom. Set in 1820s Sweden, it tells the story of a defrocked minister named Gösta Berling. After his appetite for alcohol and previous indiscretions end his career, Berling finds a home at Ekeby, an ironworks estate owned by Margareta Celsing, the “Majoress,” that also houses an assortment of eccentric veterans of the Napoleonic Wars. Berling’s defiant and poetic spirit proves magnetic to a string of women, who fall under his spell against the backdrop of political intrigue at Margareta’s estate and the magnificent wintry beauty of rural Sweden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:55 -0400)

Story of a defrocked minister who finds a home at an ironworks estate that houses various eccentric veterans of the Napoleonic Wars.

44 wanted2 free
1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible