1634: The Galileo Affair by Eric Flint

The Galileo Affair is where the Ring of Fire series really begins to show its promise. With a much tighter cast of characters and plot than its predecessors, we're able to get a deep, rather than a broad, look at the setting and really develop some fun plot threads. It's vastly less focused on military matters (I like David Weber fine, but I'm just not as interested in guns as he is) and the Stone family is a nice counterpoint to the otherwise fairly idealized blue-collar main characters.

On that note, the fact that the Stones were created by Mercedes Lackey for a short story and then rolled into this novel (as well as the use of scenes written by an experienced pilot in some of the other books in this family) is just a fascinating use of intellectual resources. This series wins a lot of goodwill from me by being collaboratively-if-not-communally written in a way that I believe is unprecedented in modern fiction. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book is wildly different from the earlier books, which is a good thing. I am sure I will not get bored with re-reading the same thing over and over, which is what many series seem to be. It is a combination of serious discussion of 17th century problems and a fillip of the Keystone Kops humor. ( )
  Bidwell-Glaze | Oct 12, 2012 |
A complicated book about the trial of Galileo and the beginnings of church reformation in the 1632 universe. ( )
  dswaddell | Jan 18, 2011 |
Back in the 17th century, you could be completely driven out of society or executed for having new ideas. Coming from a 21st century democracy, how would you deal with that?
  ClytieS | Jun 7, 2010 |
(Amy) These books really are a boatload and a half of fun, and I have yet to be significantly disappointed with a single offering from this shared universe, which is quite an achievement. There are some technical aspects (writing-wise, not technology-wise, and damn does there ever need to be a less clumsy way to differentiate that) that bug me, but I'm willing to overlook them due to the general awesome of the whole thing. I mean, it may have been some years since I've been active in the SCA, but the sensibilities that sent me there in the first place are still alive and well in my head, and the idea of turning the actual Middle Ages (well, OK, it's sort of Renaissancey by this time period, but that counts) into The Way They Should Have Been is -- well, let me just say that I have no problem with blatant Wish Fulfillment Fiction from time to time. (Which is good, because there's a lot of that in SF.)

Anyway. This novel takes place in Venice, wherein some of Our Uptime Heroes are undertaking to educate some of the most learned doctors of the time about the value of sanitation. Side plots include, yes, the trial of Galileo. For people who have read previous books/stories in this series and are cranky about the tendency of the characters to deliver As You Know, Bob lectures about assorted historical points, well, it doesn't get any better here, but as I said above, I'm willing to overlook it. Also, I could wish the one sex scene had panned to the fireplace a bit sooner than it did - not that I'm a prude, but it was just remarkably awkwardly depicted.

All that said, looking forward to my next visit to the Assisti Shards multiverse, which will be in the form of another Grantville Gazette.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/zenos-library/2009/07/these_books_really_are_... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Dec 29, 2009 |

Eric Flintprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dennis, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DEDICATION

To the memory of Johnny Cash, 1932-2003.

I Fell into A Burning Ring of Fire
I Went Down, Down, Down
And The Flames Went Higher
The palace was over-heated, Mazarini thought.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743499190, Mass Market Paperback)

The Thirty Years War continues to ravage 17th century Europe, but a new force is gathering power and influence: the Confederated Principalities of Europe, an alliance between Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, and the West Virginians from the 20th century led by Mike Stearns who were hurled centuries into the past by a mysterious cosmic accident. The democratic ideals of the CPE have aroused the implacable hostility of Cardinal Richelieu, effective ruler of France, who has moved behind the scenes, making common cause with old enemies to stop this new threat to the privileged and powerful. But the CPE is also working in secret. A group of West Virginians have secretly traveled to Venice where their advanced medical knowledge may prevent the recurrence of the terrible plague which recently killed a third of the city-state's population. At the same time, the group hopes to establish commercial ties with Turkey's Ottoman Empire, then at the height of its power. And, most important, they hope to establish private diplomatic ties with the Vatican, exploiting Pope Urban VIII's misgivings about the actions of Richelieu and the Hapsburgs. But a Venetian artisan involved with the West Virginians may cause all their plans to come to naught. Having read 20th century history books of the period, he has become determined to rescue Galileo from his trial for heresy. The Americans are divided on whether to help him or stop him-and whether he succeeds or fails, the results may be catastrophic for the CPE.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:12 -0400)

As the Thirty Years War continues to devastate Europe, the inhabitants of the American town mysteriously transported from the twentieth century to the seventeenth century confront a new foe and try to rescue Galileo from a heresy charge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,616,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible