The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (2003)

by Dan Brown

Series: Robert Langdon (2)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Torikton, Sensei-CRS)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (shesinplainview)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Illuminatus! Part I: The Eye in the Pyramid by Robert Shea (TAir)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Le Rubis des Templiers by Jorge Molist (Aleana)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (one-horse.library)
    Sirkelens ende by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Search by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Valsheid in geschrifte : de verborgen agenda van bijbelschrijvers by Jakob Slavenburg (marieke54)

English (958)  Dutch (28)  French (13)  Spanish (12)  Italian (8)  Finnish (5)  Catalan (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,047)
As an historian, the book irks me. As a reader, it was thrilling and fascinating. I read the crap out of it. The history is only irksome because he uses real events/people, but draws links where there are no links, or at least, in most cases, where none can be authenticated. ( )
  Steve.Bivans | Jul 20, 2014 |
Top notch mystery and thriller. Dan Brown did a wonderful job. Highly recommend. ( )
  BurlingtonReader | Jul 20, 2014 |
Not good enough to allow overlooking all the inaccuracies. Defenestrated it. ( )
  the_defenestrator | Jul 4, 2014 |
Very good I would give it a 3 because its really not my cup of tea - however, its really good and deserves a 4. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Upon my first reading of The Da Vinci Code, I was pleasantly entertained by the action. This was when it first came out. I was then assigned to read it for a college class, and five years later, I had a very different experience.

Besides the whole "historical research" controversy(which is why I had to read it for class), which I won't touch, I have to say I don't find The Da Vinci Code well-written or well-plotted. The twists are easy to spot, the characters are obnoxious, and the writing bored me. I didn't DISLIKE this book, but I didn't like it either. I can say upon re-reading this book falls firmly into the "meh" category. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
全2冊、上・下になっているこの本(単行本)と、上・中・下巻の本(文庫本)と、全1冊の本(原著など)は、互いに結合できません。1冊に入っている内容の分量が一致するもの同士だけを結合してください。
全2冊になっている本(単行本)と、全3冊、上・中・下巻の本(文庫本)と、全1冊の本(原著など)は、互いに結合できません。1冊に入っている内容の分量が一致するもの同士だけを結合してください。
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

When an elderly Louvre museum curator is murdered, with a baffling cipher found next to his body, a symbologist and a French cryptologist try to solve a secret disguised by Da Vinci. They must decipher the puzzle and its link to a secret society, or an explosive ancient truth will be lost forever.… (more)

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible