The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (2003)

by Dan Brown

Series: Robert Langdon (2)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Torikton, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Das Jesusfragment by Henri Lœvenbruck (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Dan Brown invented very little, the tradition of esoteric thrillers is far from new and this genre produced several works in the past. Henri Loevenbruck wrote (before Brown started working on the Da Vinci Code) "Le Testament de Siècles", a novel quite comparable to the Da Vinci Code and of a similar quality.… (more)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (TomWaitsTables)
    The Solomon Scroll by Alex Lukeman (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Historical information helps solve a mystery
    Sirkelens ende by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    Valsheid in geschrifte by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: Background: the book Brown turned into a thriller.

English (1,060)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (16)  French (14)  Italian (8)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (4)  All (4)  Danish (2)  German (2)  All (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All (1,153)
I learned some facts about Da Vinci and France, which I appreciate, but I didn't care for the way the mystery story was laid out and most of the characters were annoying. ( )
  R.E.Stearns | Aug 15, 2017 |
If there were a book I never thought I would ever read, this would be it. Not for any personal or divisive reasoning, I just never considered it nor have I watched the movie. I wasn't even aware of the controversy surrounding the book. And as it turns out it has one of my favorite elements in a story, whether it's from a book or a television show/movie. I love twists on history, I like the provocative thinking it sparks, and I enjoy a good healthy discussion on different points of views. Even though I'm a little late to the discussion I thought it prudent still to put in my two cents. Although, all I have to say is I read this book as fiction but at the same time I came out of it more curious, intrigued, and just maybe a bit more suspicious. Some of the points in the book sounded plausible but I bet I could read a book with a different point of view and it would probably also sound as plausible. I think for the most part we are all grounded in our beliefs and even reading the perspectives in this book wouldn't do anything to change that, so in the end I saw the story as a conversation starter more than anything else.

Recently audiobooks have created a new path for me by giving me the chance to read books I was curious about but never really felt the need or urgency to read. And this book is a good example of that. It didn't take very long for me to get caught up in the anticipation and verve of the story, and I give credit to the Narrator for that. What I didn't like was the portrayal of Robert Langdon. Not sure if that was the fault of the narration or the writing. I thought his too laid-back professor vibe didn't do much for his role as the protagonist. He also seemed to be mostly in the background, he didn't have much urgency during high stakes situations and sometimes he was very naive in terms of dealing with authority. I'm more keen to believe that Sophie Neveu was the true protagonist of this story. For one, she had more dialogue and was the main decision maker between the too. Maybe all that was purposeful given one of the main topics of discussion in the book was the role of women in history.

Overall I thought this was a very compelling but divisive twist on religious history and the role art plays into it. Putting aside any personal feelings and beliefs I did truly enjoyed it and am glad I made the decision to check it out. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Aug 10, 2017 |
I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It was fast-paced and kept me interested. Langdon's character was much more likable than he was is in the movie. The story line was easy to follow and the information that Dan Brown provided to keep it going was all very interesting. However, I did fell at some points in the novel that Brown was trying to prove that he was smart. There were some superfluous information that was a bit random. Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed the book much more than the movie, especially the ending. ( )
  beckakw | Aug 8, 2017 |
Had the book for some time, but never sat down to read it. Ended up listening to the audio book. Then seeing the movie starring Tom Hanks. Movies always truncate the original books. "Reading" the book provides a more detailed, complex plot. The movie caught the main story line and is good watching, but the book (and audio book) was better. ( )
  usma83 | Jul 25, 2017 |
A bit silly - but fun ( )
  dasam | Jul 25, 2017 |
botty-dribble

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,766,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible