The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

The DaVinci Code (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Dan Brown

Member:narendranmr
Title:The DaVinci Code
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Doubleday (2003), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (2003)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Torikton, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Das Jesusfragment by Henri Lœvenbruck (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Dan Brown invented very little, the tradition of esoteric thrillers is far from new and this genre produced several works in the past. Henri Loevenbruck wrote (before Brown started working on the Da Vinci Code) "Le Testament de Siècles", a novel quite comparable to the Da Vinci Code and of a similar quality.… (more)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Map Of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (TomWaitsTables)
    The Solomon Scroll by Alex Lukeman (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Historical information helps solve a mystery
    Sirkelens ende by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    Valsheid in geschrifte by J. Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: Background: the book Brown turned into a thriller.

English (1,056)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (16)  French (14)  Italian (8)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (4)  All (4)  Danish (2)  German (2)  All (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All (1,148)
Listened to 2-3 March 2017

Paul Michael did a good narration, especially with the French bits. I got this audiobook as a Whispersync deal in 2013 and thus was a bit surprised that the text of this audiobook edition was slightly different than the Kindle edition. It was almost as if the Kindle edition (which matched my memory of the paperback I read pre-Goodreads) was a later revised edition. For example, early in the story in the audiobook Langdon talks about seeing the museum in the glow of "infrared light" (which is ridiculous as the human eye can't see IR) but in the Kindle edition this has been corrected to read "red service lighting".

Perhaps this is one reason the audiobook was so cheap! Another minor irritation with the audio edition is that it is one in which the so-called chapters have no relationship with the chapters of the text (presumably they were the number of tape cassette sides before the recording was digitized...). ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 3, 2017 |
THE DA VINCI CODE BY DAN BROWN is a re read for me. Actually its a re re re re read(you get the point!) I love the way Mr.Brown takes history and puts it into a suspense novel. If you like your historical fiction with a dash of intrigue/mystery & suspense the the DA VINCI CODE BY DAN BROWN is the book for you. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Feb 20, 2017 |
Dan Brown is not a bad writer; his descriptions of Robert Langdon and a hint of romance with a woman who is much more than she seems. I really don't know what all the fuss was about with the Church; I suspect it was a publisher's publicity stunt to boost sales and apparently worked. We learn a lot of the conflict between Gnostic practices and Church suppression of Jesus' involvement with Mary Magdelene and the family line. I liked Angels and Demons better, though. ( )
  James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I find Dan Brown to be exceedinly pretentious, and I can't help but think that he has modeled Langdon after his own vision of himself.
I'm only glad I read this book because of all the hype surrounding it at the time of its publication. I found the theories mentioned about the Virgin Mary would not be new to anyone with the most basic familiarity of the early Christian movement to eradicate Paganism. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
I found this book much more interesting once I had actually seen a lot of the places mentioned in it. I also recieved the illustrated edition as a gift, which made it even more enjoyable. If you enjoyed this book and you haven't read Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, go get it immediately. I found it better than this one. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Nov 30, 2016 |
Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible