The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Dan Brown

59,066119012 (3.53)897
Member:suejime
Title:The Da Vinci Code
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Doubleday (2003), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 454 pages

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (2003)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Das Jesusfragment by Henri Lœvenbruck (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Dan Brown invented very little, the tradition of esoteric thrillers is far from new and this genre produced several works in the past. Henri Loevenbruck wrote (before Brown started working on the Da Vinci Code) "Le Testament de Siècles", a novel quite comparable to the Da Vinci Code and of a similar quality.… (more)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The scrolls from the Dead Sea by Edmund Wilson (SnootyBaronet)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    Truth and fiction in The Da Vinci code by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Relic: The Quest for the Golden Shrine by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    Valsheid in geschrifte by J. Slavenburg (marieke54)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    The Solomon Scroll by Alex Lukeman (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Historical information helps solve a mystery
    The Rossler Foundation Mysteries by JC Ryan (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both works focus on historical items and solving a mystery related to them. Brown's contains more puzzles that the reader gets to help solve than does Ryan's.

English (1,087)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (18)  French (14)  Italian (8)  Swedish (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (4)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,183)
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown received a lot of reviews when it was first published and as a result potential readers will find a vast variety of opinions on this book. I’ve read humorous ones, defensive ones, “from the heart” ones and down right rude ones, but in the end I decided that the only opinion that matters is my own and in order to have an opinion I had to read the book.

I saw the movie when it first came out, but in all honesty I couldn’t remember much of the storyline. I knew it was something to do with The Knights Templar, The Holy Grail and conspiracy. Beyond that, my memory had cast the rest into oblivion. These days, my brain does that a lot so that isn’t an indication of what I thought of the movie.

Anyway, despite what people say I felt the storyline was good, plausible. It was well developed and, for the most part, fast paced. Whether the details were factual or not doesn’t concern me, because the book is fiction and the author made me believe that they could be true and that is all that matters. The characters were realistic, although I felt they talked too much at crucial times (especially in life and death situations), which was annoying. All in all, I enjoyed the story.

But...

What let this book down for me was the overly long non-fiction aspect of the story. I was reading a story and didn’t want history lessons thrown in every few pages. I could handle the short ones, but some of them were pages long and I found that more than a little annoying. In fact, after the first hundred or so pages, I stopped reading them. I didn’t lose touch with the storyline because of this.

The author would have been better off writing a story and leaving the research out of it. He might have thought he was enhancing the story by including so much detail, but for me, it ruined the entire book. Without the research, this book would have been a fast-paced, page turner.

I find myself wondering if his other books are the same. If so, I don’t think I want to subject myself to more history lessons. It is such a shame, because I think the storylines (on their own) would be great. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Mar 13, 2019 |
I was not as happy with this book after reading it as I'd imagined I would be before I started, but I kept at it anyway, waiting for it to get better. It did not. The treasure hunt and search for symbols felt contrived, and much of it was or felt like an attempt to prove that the protagonist was a genius, but felt unconvincing. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
It's been a while since I read this book. I read the Spanish translated version in paperback and it wasn't a bad translation.

Is Dan Brown a genius?

Far from it.

However, he is capable of writing an entertaining popcorn adventure book that keeps you interested from start to finish. Easygoing writing, interesting characters, lots of intrigue and nonstop action that kept me reading until the very end.

While perhaps not a masterpiece of literature, it will have its fans and was a fun read. ( )
  chirikosan | Feb 25, 2019 |
A real page turner. Very clever in weaving fact and fiction into an intriguing story. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Well that was unfortunate. 😕
Robert Langdon is an American professor of Symbology who finds himself suddenly thrust into a dangerous plot involving two separate Church organizations revolving around the Roman Catholic Church. Tensions and steaks both rise as Robert Langdon works hard to not only escape but to find out the truth.
Okay I say that this is unfortunate because I have, very unfortunately, made a grave mistake with this book. That is that I have seen the film first before reading the book. Let me explain...
Although this book is very well written and obviously extensively researched, I find that because I have already watched the film and there really aren't any surprises for me in all the back stories of things and characters mentioned in the book that it is more daunting to read then it is fascinating as probably was the original intention.
I also feel like having watched the film first and enjoying such a fast-paced story that the book just seems long to read. I know what's coming even with the settle differences between the book and the film and I guess I am wanting more of that fast-paced that I get in the film when unfortunately I don't feel like I'm getting it from the book. Dan Brown writes his chapters to be very short and I believe that he does this in order to add to the thrill and the pace of the book but unfortunately it did not work on me.
I really just think that watching the film first has ruined the book for me which is very very unfortunate because this is obviously a very good book that a lot of people have enjoyed but because the movie is so dear to my heart I feel like the book just doesn't stack up to it. And I have to say it like that because the movie came first for me. The DaVinci Code is one of my all-time favorite films and perhaps that was my first mistake when picking this book up.
So I say as a warning to anyone that has yet to get into the Dan Brown series, please read the books first and then watch the films. Otherwise you may suffer my unfortunate fate as well.
Even with my forlorn position on this book, I would still recommend it to just about everyone. Especially those who like mystery, thriller and espionage books. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Feb 4, 2019 |
botty-dribble

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

2 1929

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,386,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible