The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Dan Brown

Member:gaskella
Title:The Da Vinci Code
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Doubleday (2003), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover
Tags:Grail quest, Codes, Symbols, Conspiracy, Fiction, Not kept

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (2003)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Torikton, Sensei-CRS)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (shesinplainview)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Valsheid in geschrifte : de verborgen agenda van bijbelschrijvers by Jakob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (Medellia)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (one-horse.library)
    The Search by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    Sirkelens ende by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)

English (971)  Dutch (28)  French (13)  Spanish (12)  Italian (8)  Finnish (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,059)
(Review is for the audiobook)

Most recent car "read." Decently entertaining, though the pace drove me crazy. Much of the time I felt like Brown was just stringing the reader along, withholding info the characters knew, simply in order to keep the story going. And even though I expect a fair amount of "making stuff up" in a book like this, it's also a bit of a letdown when you realize that pretty much every really interesting "historical" fact in the story is completely untrue. The reader was good; his narration is a bit monotone, which was annoying at first but eventually was all right, and his performance of a range of accents for various characters was good. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 21, 2014 |
Why so much fuss about this one, I don't understand. A competent but by no means exceptional thriller. ( )
1 vote gregoryolney | Nov 18, 2014 |
I was a little disappointed with the ending--the whole book was intense, suspenseful, really made me think. I didn't even mind the IDEA of the ending, it just seemed like Brown tried wrapping it all up too quickly... like he spent a long time really developing the main portion of the story, but got tired of writing by the time the story was almost done, so finished it up fast just to be done with it. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
I loved this book! It was recommended to me by my dad, who loved the book as well. I was a little skeptical because I didn't think my dad and I would like the same kind of books, but he insisted I read it. And I have nothing to say but good things. Dan Brown started off the book wonderfully; I was hooked as soon as I read the prologue. I literally could not put the book down.

There were so many elements to the story, from the mysterious life of Jaques Saunière, to the decrypting of a secret code, to the cop chase, and to the murderous albino Silas (plus many more). Each aspect had its own important role in the plot of the book. As you read, it was incredible to see the mystery unravel and see all the pieces of the puzzle fit in so well. The introduction of each new character intrigued me and made me more interested in the story. The characters were relatable, because what family doesn't have deep, dark secrets from their past? However, Brown took this idea to the extreme, which made the book even more exciting and fast-paced. One of my favorite things the author did was switch the point of view from chapter to chapter. One chapter would focus on Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu, while the next would focus on Silas and Bishop Aringarosa. There were so many surprises and twists that shocked me. (I mean who saw it coming that Teabing would be the Teacher?) Robert and Sophie were constantly on the run and had to get past so many obstacles, all while trying to figure out Sophie's grandfather's code. The story didn't stop evolving until the very last pages of the book. Just when you think you have the mystery figured out, Brown throws something else at you and changes the whole story.

I enjoyed this book so much. I was amazed how the author had so many aspects, but was able to make them all fit in to the mystery in an unbelievable way. My mind was constantly racing, trying to figure out the code before the characters. Every single character was likable in some way. Even if they were bad, I didn't hate them. They each had an important part to the development of the twisted, heart-racing, puzzling novel. ( )
1 vote michaellakufner | Nov 2, 2014 |
First of Robert Langdon's mysterious adventures. I am definitely a huge fan of Dan Brown and Robert Langdon. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
全2冊、上・下になっているこの本(単行本)と、上・中・下巻の本(文庫本)と、全1冊の本(原著など)は、互いに結合できません。1冊に入っている内容の分量が一致するもの同士だけを結合してください。
全2冊になっている本(単行本)と、全3冊、上・中・下巻の本(文庫本)と、全1冊の本(原著など)は、互いに結合できません。1冊に入っている内容の分量が一致するもの同士だけを結合してください。
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible