The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Dan Brown

Member:Torech
Title:The Da Vinci Code
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Anchor (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 597 pages

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Author) (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, NatashaJT, BellaMarieHansen, Edmee2M, TinaTome, pint1275
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Truth and fiction in The Da Vinci code by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Das Jesusfragment by Henri Lœvenbruck (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Dan Brown invented very little, the tradition of esoteric thrillers is far from new and this genre produced several works in the past. Henri Loevenbruck wrote (before Brown started working on the Da Vinci Code) "Le Testament de Siècles", a novel quite comparable to the Da Vinci Code and of a similar quality.… (more)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: Background: the book Brown turned into a thriller.
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (TomWaitsTables)
    Relic: The Quest for the Golden Shrine by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    Mona Lisa's Secret by Phil Philips (JenniferRobb)
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)

English (1,080)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (17)  French (14)  Italian (8)  Swedish (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (4)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,175)
I think that the Da Vinci code is better than Angels and Demons, maybe because I read it first a really long time ago, and enjoyed it then. I enjoy the puzzles, and the reverence for art and symbols. I do not enjoy that Dan Brown just ignored the female character from Angels and Demons, and that the Robert Langdon seems to have no qualms about picking up another woman. The plot moves quickly, from action point to action point, though I think that the Da Vinci Code has more development. Makes for a quick read.
Mine is an illustrated copy, and that is really nice when the artwork that is referenced is right there on the page. ( )
  renardkitsune | Nov 7, 2018 |
  EbFinder | Nov 1, 2018 |
Sorry, I just don't get it. Props to those of you who enjoy it, but I can't get on that bandwagon. As a kid I used to LOVE those Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novels: cheap adventure with a straightforward hero, some hot babes, and an historical event linked to the big climax. I've long since lost my interest in those, though, and unfortunately, I didn't think this was as good. I didn't finish it, but Brown's writing style turned me off, and I found the narrative structure to be a bit contrived. Sorry! (Well, okay, I'm not THAT sorry but - much like my boyhood love for Cussler - I do understand that there are people whose reading interests fit this novel perfectly.) ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
His wife Blythe has been the 'chief researcher', the book is a composite of data
  brendanus | Oct 15, 2018 |
Entretenido y no mucho mas ( )
  Marcoscazulo | Oct 15, 2018 |
botty-dribble

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

2 1918

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,267,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible