Beyond Uhura - Star Trek and Other Memories…

Beyond Uhura - Star Trek and Other Memories (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Nichelle Nichols

The autobiography of the African American actress famous for her role as Star Trek's Lieutenant Uhura.
Member:jimcripps
Title:Beyond Uhura - Star Trek and Other Memories
Authors:Nichelle Nichols
Info:G. P. Putnam's Sons (1994), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:biography, TV, movies

Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories by Nichelle Nichols (1994)

This was an overall adequate autobiography. I love Star Trek, but must admit that the first series is a bit too dated for me. I grew up with TNG, DS9 and Voyager and those are my true loves. However, I have always been interested in and root for women who go against the grain, and Nichelle Nichols is one of those women. Obviously not being alive at the time of TOS, it is hard for me to appreciate just how big of a deal it was to have a character like Uhura on a TV show, so maybe one of her greatest legacies is that I can watch a black woman character in the 23rd century and just think "cool, no big deal."

The memoir itself was, as I mentioned, adequate. There were a lot of people named Jimmy and Jim which I found confusing. One of her marriages was summed up in maybe two sentences. I was definitely more interested in the Star Trek aspect of the memoir and not the steamy personal life, so that was fine with me; it was a bit disorienting to be reading about Star Trek and then all of a sudden she mentions that she'd remarried. As far as the steamy personal life, there really isn't much of that in this book. Which is fine with me. To be honest, I found her writings about her work with NASA to be some of the more interesting content. I was hoping for her opinions about TNG but she didn't really discuss the Star Trek legacy after the three series and six movies that she starred in.

Recommended if you're a Star Trek fan. It gives a nice glimpse of what the world of shooting the show and movies looked like, and did give me a bit more insight onto how the show became what it is today. ( )
1 vote lemontwist | Jan 11, 2018 |
Nichelle Nichols' memoirs, and she led quite an interesting life apart from Star Trek. I hadn't known that she'd had a successful singing career, that she'd been Gene Roddenberry's lover for a time, or that the bitter feelings much of the crew had for William Shatner were so pervasive. Reading the entries in Shatner's book, and then hers, about their "heart-to-heart" talk is a revelation. At any rate, it was a pleasure to learn what a gracious, talented and humane lady she is, well a match for Uhura in strength of personality and character. ( )
3 vote burnit99 | Feb 13, 2007 |
This book is dedicated to Samuel and Lishia Nichols, Kyle Johnson, Jim Meechan
Prologue: As I sat on the stage and looked out at the hundreds of mourners who filled the Hall of Liberty at Forest Lawn Cemetery, I couldn't help but think that this was exactly how Gene would have wanted it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,315,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible