Midnight Tides: A Tale of the Malazan Book…

Midnight Tides: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (edition 2007)

by Steven Erikson

Member:Narilka
Title:Midnight Tides: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Tor Fantasy 2007-08-28 (2007), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:steven erikson, fantasy, malazan book of the fallen, book 5

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

English (29)  Slovak (1)  All languages (30)
OH MY GOD TEHOL AND BUGG MY HEART.

I have nothing of any substance to say anymore. Steven Erikson, you destroy me. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is part five in Steven Erikson's epic 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen' series. A series that has to be read completely and in order, because each book is a continuation of sorts of the last. Of sorts, because this book focuses on an area and characters we haven't met before, but who have or will have a connection to the bigger story soon enough.

In this book we mostly meet Letherii (human people) and Tiste Edur from the land of Lether. The Tiste Edur are united for the first time under a Warlock King who has a new kind of power. He sends the four Sengar brothers to find a sword that has been given to him and can be found in the ice of the north. When one of the brothers touches the sword with his skin, something forbidden by the King, the world of the Tiste Edur changes. Meanwhile in Letheras (the capital of the Letherii empire), a city in an empire built on greed, we follow Tehol and his servant Bugg, two of the funniest characters in the series, who plot to bring down this economy of greed. When the Letherii plan to overtake the Tiste Edur and make them submit like many people before them, everything comes to a most awful head.

I loved the earlier parts of this series, and I loved this one even more. I think because the story was relatively simple (Tiste Edur on the one side, Letherii on the other) while still relating to the greater mythology of the series. Anyway, I couldn't put this book down and finished it in just three days, and I moved straight on to the next one. Five out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Jun 3, 2013 |
A little hard to get into, since this book introduces an almost entirely new set of characters on a different continent from any of the previous books. Once it got going, I was drawn into the story, though, and enjoyed it quite a bit. ( )
  sdobie | May 16, 2013 |
OH MY GOD TEHOL AND BUGG MY HEART.

heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |
Ok thank you Seth for remind me that I need to post a review on this one and also make a shelve for it…

Here my review: everybody that knows me is aware of the fact that I’m terrified of paraphilia in books… why? You ask… well I dream most of what I read… (by the way I hate Cormac McCarthy for making me have one of the most fuck up nightmares I ever had…) that being said I think this book cured my fear of necrophilia!!!!! Hooray for sexy undead comic relief characters!!!!!
  Alfonso809 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To Christopher Porozny
From the twisting, smoke-filled clouds, blood rained down.
"Every worthwhile plan is diabolical."
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Kinder des Schattens' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24298-3 and
'Die Gezeiten der Nacht' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24403-X
Please do not combine these works

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348829, Mass Market Paperback)

After decades of internecine warfare, the tribes of the Tiste Edur have at last united under the Warlock King of the Hiroth, There is peace--but it has been exacted at a terrible price: a pact made with a hidden power whose motives are at best suspect, at worst deadly.

To the south, the expansionist kingdom of Lether, eager to fulfill its long-prophesized renaissance as an Empire reborn, has enslaved all its less-civilized neighbors with rapacious hunger. All, that is, save one--the Tiste Edur. And it must be only a matter of time before they too fall--either beneath the suffocating weight of gold, or by slaughter at the edge of a sword. Or so destiny has decreed.

Yet as the two sides gather for a pivotal treaty neither truly wants, ancient forces are awakening.  For the impending struggle between these two peoples is but a pale reflection of a far more profound, primal battle--a confrontation with the still-raw wound of an old betrayal and the craving for revenge at its seething heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

After decades of warfare, the five tribes of the Tiste Edur have finally united under the implacable rule of the Warlock King of the Hiroth. But peace has been exacted at a terrible price - a pact made with a hidden power whose motives are at best suspect, at worst deadly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible