Midnight Tides: A Tale of the Malazan Book…

Midnight Tides: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (edition 2007)

by Steven Erikson

Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:steven erikson, fantasy, malazan book of the fallen, book 5

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

English (32)  Slovak (1)  All languages (33)
Slow to start, but very worth getting to know the new characters. ( )
  angarrc | Mar 14, 2016 |
OH MY GOD TEHOL AND BUGG MY HEART.

I have nothing of any substance to say anymore. Steven Erikson, you destroy me. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
OH MY GOD TEHOL AND BUGG MY HEART.

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
This book is way too much. We jumped back in time just eons and eons. There's only one familiar character--Trull Sengar, from just last book, I think. And he was minor there, and haunted by some dread treachery that I really didn't think we needed to see more of, as it was explained adequately in that book. But of course, it's not the author's style to go back and explain /anything/ in depth. Now, what we seem to be covering is the prelude to Trull Sengar's betrayal. And also, more about the Tiste tribes and mythos. Damn, we're talking about truly epoch, a lot of time passing. What the Tiste Edur people seem to consider their gods are still only people who were running from their old world and its destruction. Thus, the actual gods still aren't made apparent. Of course, the world they came to has its own perfectly powerful and effectual gods and peoples, so there's that to deal with and sort out as well.

So, struggling so much with this volume, I hopped on the Malazan forums searching for inspiration to continue the story. And found that many people consider this book one of the best in the series.

What. The. F&*(.

They especially like some of the new characters introduced here: Tehol Beddict, a rather foolish and trivial seeming guy, living in disgrace with a single servant in some degree of poverty and starvation. Sure enough, as the story progresses, this guy turns out to be a mercantile and criminal mastermind, hiding a fortune that he won several years ago with his semblance of absolute destitution. And yes, he is a comedy all the way. He and his beleagured servant/partner-in-crime are very like a more subdued Blackadder and Balrick. Their scenes are the most fun. Thank gods, because the imperial court intrigues of the Letherii are boring and cliche-ridden.

Udinaas, a Letherii slave of the Tiste Edur, is totally intriguing, though. The Letherii seem to be the best part of this volume. The Tiste Edur are certainly dull and stodgy, all honorbound and tribal.

----------

I did finally finish this book a few months back. So very happy to finally put the whole thing behind me, as I never really warmed up to the Tiste Edur's side of things. Really nobody's. Except maybe the entirely competent Malazan soldiers who turn up out of bloody nowhere and get right into the thick of things. I got the feeling from the fan forums that certain of these people are really really awesome elsewhere and this whole thing is Significant. I can see that, but it didn't make it much easier to slog through this swamp of different cultures and personalities and hopes and expectations...all of which happened VERY VERY LONG AGO, to a bunch of people hitherto unknown in this massive series full of massive tomes. ( )
  irrhapsodi | Jan 3, 2016 |
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Groucho Marx was secretly an economic genius living in poverty while manipulating the stock market and buying and selling shares of all the major coorperations and business in the capital of a huge nation? No? Well, maybe you should. Or maybe you should just read this book that follows a character named Tehol Beddict, the oldest of four brothers who basically fits the bill. =) Probably my favorite character contantly saying and doing rather inane things while moving things behind the scenes to benifit those he things ought be benefited.

But he is only one character of several followed in multiple plot lines in this book. This is book 5, if you've read the previous books you already know that this series is full of multiple characters who are threaded throughout the story. Most of them are interesting or become so eventually. A very epic in scale fantasy effort as the characters span the globe this takes place on and rather than being the story of a people or nation follows multiple nations and peoples. I took a break before coming back to the series but am glad I gave it a shot with this book and will probably go ahead and read the next one too. ( )
1 vote Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To Christopher Porozny
From the twisting, smoke-filled clouds, blood rained down.
"Every worthwhile plan is diabolical."
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Kinder des Schattens' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24298-3 and
'Die Gezeiten der Nacht' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24403-X
Please do not combine these works

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348829, Mass Market Paperback)

After decades of internecine warfare, the tribes of the Tiste Edur have at last united under the Warlock King of the Hiroth, There is peace--but it has been exacted at a terrible price: a pact made with a hidden power whose motives are at best suspect, at worst deadly.

To the south, the expansionist kingdom of Lether, eager to fulfill its long-prophesized renaissance as an Empire reborn, has enslaved all its less-civilized neighbors with rapacious hunger. All, that is, save one--the Tiste Edur. And it must be only a matter of time before they too fall--either beneath the suffocating weight of gold, or by slaughter at the edge of a sword. Or so destiny has decreed.

Yet as the two sides gather for a pivotal treaty neither truly wants, ancient forces are awakening.  For the impending struggle between these two peoples is but a pale reflection of a far more profound, primal battle--a confrontation with the still-raw wound of an old betrayal and the craving for revenge at its seething heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

After decades of warfare, the five tribes of the Tiste Edur have finally united under the implacable rule of the Warlock King of the Hiroth. But peace has been exacted at a terrible price - a pact made with a hidden power whose motives are at best suspect, at worst deadly.… (more)

83 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,524,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible