No Such Thing as a Witch by Ruth Chew

No Such Thing as a Witch

by Ruth Chew

This is my first Ruth Chew book, and I really liked it. It is certainly for the lower middle grade or chapter book (6-10 yrs) audience. It is short and the language is not exactly simplistic, but very straightforward. The story is fun, very much in the contemporary magic, witch-next-door tradition (there actually is a witch next door). The illustrations are great and, even thought it was written in 1971, I don't think that the target audience will find it old fashioned. I bought a copy for my 7 year old niece, and I'm looking forward to reading more Ruth Chew. I think it's a great idea to reprint them, since there isn't really very much good fantasy for this age group. PS -- this is the one about the magic fudge and not about the things left in the drawer. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 18, 2015 |
This book has been one of my favorites for a while. This book is both a mystery and an adventure. I would love to tell you details about this book, but don't want to give too much away. Katy and Louise find a drawer full of stuff from Katy's aunt, who is a witch. These items have special powers and the girls go on adventures using these items. I love this book so much I have read it 5 times. I would recommend it to my friends. ( )
  RoseM30 | Oct 5, 2015 |
This gentle children's fantasy tells the story of the new neighbor, Maggie Brown, who loves animals and whose fudge makes magic happen. ( )
  iBeth | Dec 11, 2014 |
Out-of-print books are usually lost to the past, but lucky for the reading public, Ruth Chew's Chapter books are being published simultaneously as paperbacks and hardcovers with original cover art. Random House is to be congratulated for bringing ten ofRuth Chew's favorite books back to our reading world and the first two are "No Such Thing as a Witch", and What the Witch Left".

Finding a key to Katy's mom's dresser, Katy and her friend, Louise, discover items for dress-up. Unusual circumstances began to happen, and the girls wonder if some of the clothes are magic. Read this lovely book out of the past and smile as I did through each of the adventures. I heartily recommend this reprint of a class to all ages. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 24, 2014 |
To Maggie Baron who makes the best fudge in the world
"Nora, look! The squirrel is reading a little newspaper!" Tad Cooper pressed his nose against the kitchen window.

When Nora and Tad observe a squirrel reading a little newspaper and their dog behaving strangely, they decide their new neighbor is a witch.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible