A Matter-of-Fact Magic Book: Magic in the…

A Matter-of-Fact Magic Book: Magic in the Park (A Stepping Stone Book(TM)) (edition 2014)

by Ruth Chew (Author)

Member:weatherglass
Title:A Matter-of-Fact Magic Book: Magic in the Park (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
Authors:Ruth Chew (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Reprint, 144 pages

No Such Thing as a Witch by Ruth Chew

A witch moves in next door to two children, and helps them see magic in the everyday. Sweet but a bit dated. A nice read for October, though. ( )
  scaifea | Oct 19, 2016 |
This is my first Ruth Chew book, and I really liked it. It is certainly for the lower middle grade or chapter book (6-10 yrs) audience. It is short and the language is not exactly simplistic, but very straightforward. The story is fun, very much in the contemporary magic, witch-next-door tradition (there actually is a witch next door). The illustrations are great and, even thought it was written in 1971, I don't think that the target audience will find it old fashioned. I bought a copy for my 7 year old niece, and I'm looking forward to reading more Ruth Chew. I think it's a great idea to reprint them, since there isn't really very much good fantasy for this age group. PS -- this is the one about the magic fudge and not about the things left in the drawer. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 18, 2015 |
This gentle children's fantasy tells the story of the new neighbor, Maggie Brown, who loves animals and whose fudge makes magic happen. ( )
  iBeth | Dec 11, 2014 |
To Maggie Baron who makes the best fudge in the world
"Nora, look! The squirrel is reading a little newspaper!" Tad Cooper pressed his nose against the kitchen window.

When Nora and Tad observe a squirrel reading a little newspaper and their dog behaving strangely, they decide their new neighbor is a witch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,522,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible