Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton

The Naked God (original 1999; edition 2009)

by Peter F. Hamilton

Member:AnnieMod
Title:The Naked God
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton
Info:New York : Orbit, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Printed
Tags:novel, sf, check, keep, reviewed, shelves, read in 2013

The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton (1999)

a fitting conclusion to an awesome trilogy. ( )
  hoodakaushal | Jun 25, 2014 |
I loved this, but geez, thank God I'm finished. :)

I also fully intended to come back and really review this with a really real review. Really. But I finished it two weeks ago, and I think my relief at just being DONE has overwhelmed any real need to review it. It was a good read. It was a satisfying conclusion. I can definitely see why people would be pissed with the deus ex machina, but with the entire premise of the story, it really didn't annoy me that much -- especially since I was just so relieved to be done. The entire idea in the first place was far-fetched; in some ways, I think you needed to have a deux ex machina just to tie it up, because I can't imagine any plausible way to solve the entire issue otherwise.
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
FINALLY. The first half of the end of this trilogy flew by quickly. Then the second half spun its wheels in what seemed like an attempt to fill enough pages to match the size of the other two volumes. Luckily, once the conclusion started (approximately 75-100 pages from the end) everything started to fall into place very quickly. I found the end very satisfying - not always an easy feat in a long-running story. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Mar 1, 2014 |
I gave up on this. I have a poor memory; After a few weeks of not reading something the plot points start slipping out of my head along with the characters. Unfortunately for me, the Night's Dawn trilogy is really one big book, so there is no effort to re-acclimate readers who may have taken a break between books. My only option, therefore, is to read them all in a row in order to have any chance of understanding what is going on, but after 2300 pages straight I am fatigued. I need a break from this story even if it means that I will never come back to it. I would like to know how humanity manages the threat of possession by souls returning from the beyond and I would like to spend more time with the alien races that were introduced, but I just can't read another page right now.
  Hegemellman | Apr 2, 2013 |
Hamilton finishes his trilogy with a bang. The novel opens pretty much where the second one closes and it follows the already familiar pattern - a lot of subplots and characters, returning to each in a somewhat random orders; a lot of new characters (and races) showing up (and some of them dying almost immediately). And the observers - more than one race, and being always where they should be to help humanity (or whoever). It was hinted in the earlier books but here this is taken to a whole new level, with pretty much any event being explained with a deus ex machina device (or race, or an observer, or just a blind chance). Which works to some extent (there is nothing that could have worked really) - and excluding the very end. To which I will return shortly.

It's another broad picture of the world - with all the problems (humans had not changed that much) and sometimes with the stupid mistakes that only we can do. Battles, destruction, love, interests - you can find anything. Plus space travel, a lot of technical and astronomical talk, the thinking habitats (some of them ending up a lot more surprising and powerful than anyone thought). But at the same time, Hamilton decides to make sure that Joshua has a clean way to the end - emotionally at least - battles and flying and whatsnot is still around but any time when he should have taken a really important decision, something happened and left him with a clear path. Yes - most of those were because other people took the hard decisions but still.

Until the very end. I have NO issues whatsoever with the Sleeping God and that it would be there or the way it was important to the story. But Joshua's choices and actions were... probably the best word will be scripted. They all had good reasons but something just sounded more like a "and they lived happily ever after" than the end of this trilogy. And the observers, the knowledge, the Sleeping God and everything else were not forcing these decisions and choices - they were a happy end kind of solution when almost anything else would have been a lot more logical (and satisfactory).

Overall, the trilogy is worth reading. Despite the very end - even if the third book was weaker in some ways, it did wrap up most of the tangling ends and finished what the first 2 had started. It is an adventure story on a grand scale but at the same time it builds a possible future that I can just imagine happening (and that is why I wish the choice Joshua made was different). And I am not even upset about the whole observers/deus ex machina elements (as a lot of the reviews and talks I had seen had been) - there was nothing else that could have worked and it did make sense (well... I found some of them unnecessary but...) ( )
  AnnieMod | Jan 8, 2013 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tikulin, TomislavCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jay Hilton was sound asleep when every electrophorescent strip in the paediatric ward sprang up to full intensity.
In some areas The Naked God is published as two separate books, The Naked God, Part 1: Flight and The Naked God, Part 2: Faith. This is the complete book, please do not combine it with either part.

The Confederation is starting to collapse politically and economically, allowing the 'possessed' to infiltrate more worlds. Quinn Dexter is loose on Earth, destroying the giant arcologies one at a time. As Louise Kavanagh tries to track him down, she manages to acquire some strange and powerful allies whose goal does not quite match her own. The campaign to liberate Mortonridge from the possessed degenerates into a horrendous land battle of the type not seen by humankind for six hundred years. Then some of the protagonists escape in a very unexpected direction ...Joshua Calvert and Syrinx now fly their starships on a mission to find the Sleeping God -- which an alien race believes holds the key to finally overthrowing the possessed. 'The long-awaited climax to one of the best sci-fi yarns of the decade ...Hamilton has reclaimed Britain's dominance of the sci-fi genre' The Times 'Eloquent and ingenious ...A host of believable characters' Daily Telegraph

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:22 -0400)

After the multi-layered, dramatic events described in The Reality Dysfunction and The Neutronium Alchemist, comes this climax to Hamilton's awe-inspiring Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible