The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton

The Naked God (original 1999; edition 2009)

by Peter F. Hamilton

Title:The Naked God
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton
Info:New York : Orbit, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Books, Recs&Conns
Tags:novel, SF, read in 2013, read, series:finished

The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton (1999)

I loved this, but geez, thank God I'm finished. :)

I also fully intended to come back and really review this with a really real review. Really. But I finished it two weeks ago, and I think my relief at just being DONE has overwhelmed any real need to review it. It was a good read. It was a satisfying conclusion. I can definitely see why people would be pissed with the deus ex machina, but with the entire premise of the story, it really didn't annoy me that much -- especially since I was just so relieved to be done. The entire idea in the first place was far-fetched; in some ways, I think you needed to have a deux ex machina just to tie it up, because I can't imagine any plausible way to solve the entire issue otherwise.

It is now June 10, 2014, two years and five days after I finished this series. I never did come back to review it -- I think, after getting through it, I was so exhausted by it that I didn't have anything to say.

However, I do look at this series as one of the best I've read, despite how sprawling the universe is and how out of control the characters are. I've returned to it briefly a couple of times intending to re-read it, but never gotten past a couple of chapters. Someday I will return -- which is saying something -- and I'll probably bring with me a reading guide of some sort. There was just too much variation in the characters for me to be able to follow along without taking copious notes and checking a wiki with chapter changes, especially as the series got on.

Well worth the read, though, and oh, to be able to read it for the first time again. :)
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
A flawed masterpiece.

The flaws are linguistic. Word for word, Hamilton is not the best writer ever born. He sometimes runs two sentences together with a comma, this can be annoying. Also, sometimes you know what he means, but technically he hasn't said it.

On the other hand, he a superb story teller, with amazing control over many different strands. The themes are broadly sociological, mainly religion, politics and government, and social stratification. What really struck me, and which have stayed with me in the ten years since I first read it, are the ideas. It's like Arthur C Clarke, Iain M Banks and the internet all taken to the nth degree. Superb!

It's a long novel subdivided into three parts rather than a trilogy in the normal sense. There's no point reading this if you haven't read the first two. It's well worth it. Here all secrets are revealed and the Kiint are on top form. ( )
  Lukerik | May 15, 2015 |
After reading the first two books in the Night’s Dawn Trilogy, what more could a reader ask for? The conclusion is stunning, magnificent, and intergalactic in scale. The stage is set, the possessed are out, and we have already been introduced to a broad and varied cast of characters, ships, planets, and asteroids. Now Quinn attempts to take control of earth and Louise finds herself embroiled in B7 Earth agency plans to stop him. General Hilch works to liberate Mortonridge from the possessed, a mission joining together Kulu, the Saldana’s black sheep Ione, the Confederation Navy, and the Edenists. After noting the Kiint interest in the Tyrathca’s Sleeping God, Consensus, Tranquility, and the Confederation Navy send Oenone and Lady MacBeth on a mission beyond the Orion Nebula in search of the mysterious piece of technology, one which they hope can help them to resolve the possession crisis. Joshua and Louise continue to grow, new technologies are introduced and explained, and, taking the trilogy to well over a million words, Hamilton provides a conclusion that is intricate, thought-out, and brilliant. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |
a fitting conclusion to an awesome trilogy. ( )
  hoodakaushal | Jun 25, 2014 |
FINALLY. The first half of the end of this trilogy flew by quickly. Then the second half spun its wheels in what seemed like an attempt to fill enough pages to match the size of the other two volumes. Luckily, once the conclusion started (approximately 75-100 pages from the end) everything started to fall into place very quickly. I found the end very satisfying - not always an easy feat in a long-running story. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Mar 1, 2014 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tikulin, TomislavCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jay Hilton was sound asleep when every electrophorescent strip in the paediatric ward sprang up to full intensity.
In some areas The Naked God is published as two separate books, The Naked God, Part 1: Flight and The Naked God, Part 2: Faith. This is the complete book, please do not combine it with either part.

The Confederation is starting to collapse politically and economically, allowing the 'possessed' to infiltrate more worlds. Quinn Dexter is loose on Earth, destroying the giant arcologies one at a time. As Louise Kavanagh tries to track him down, she manages to acquire some strange and powerful allies whose goal does not quite match her own. The campaign to liberate Mortonridge from the possessed degenerates into a horrendous land battle of the type not seen by humankind for six hundred years. Then some of the protagonists escape in a very unexpected direction ...Joshua Calvert and Syrinx now fly their starships on a mission to find the Sleeping God -- which an alien race believes holds the key to finally overthrowing the possessed. 'The long-awaited climax to one of the best sci-fi yarns of the decade ...Hamilton has reclaimed Britain's dominance of the sci-fi genre' The Times 'Eloquent and ingenious ...A host of believable characters' Daily Telegraph

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:45 -0400)

After the multi-layered, dramatic events described in The Reality Dysfunction and The Neutronium Alchemist, comes this climax to Hamilton's awe-inspiring Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible