The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New…

The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and…

by Irvin Yalom

421925,173 (3.98)2

This book, in it's 260 pages has over 80 chapters (none of which are too long). This helped to move the speed along of reading this book, but also allowed Yalom to have very specific chapters.

This book is full of personal experiences and examples from his many years of therapy, and in general is good for a counselor-to-be to read. It is an open letter to incoming counselors, and was recommended by my professors as a 'Must Read' for counseling students.

I will say, however, that the more I read about counseling, the less mystical it seems to me. Professors who I used to believe were sooo intelligent and profound...I now know think similiarly as many of the 'great' therapists. This was hard for me at first...but gives me the confidence that perhaps some day I too will have that great of understanding in these topics. :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Tai knyga apie paciento ir terapeuto kelionę, kupina išmintingų ir praktiškų įžvalgų apie tai, kuo naudinga psichoterapija, kaip ji gali pakeisti gyvenimo būdą ir praturtinti psichoterapeuto ir paciento santykius.
Apie autorių:
I.Yalomas daugelį metų buvo vieno prestižiškiausių JAV Stanfordo universiteto psichiatrijos profesorius, praktikuojantis individualiąją ir grupinę psichoterapiją. Jis ne tik psichoterapijos profesionalas, bet ir talentingas rašytojas. Jo knygos populiarios visame pasaulyje.
  Amston | Jun 11, 2013 |
My first Yalom book, and it's clear that he writes with great insight from many years of experience. The advice in here - a series of letters and notes to Clients and therapists alike - are rooted in a profound understanding of the relationship between two people in a room, one of whom is seeking 'answers', the other seeking to help. Practical and engaging. ( )
  Parthurbook | Jul 24, 2010 |
Interesting in places and humourous in places, Yalom manages to impart his wisdom with an easy writing style. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 7, 2010 |
It is dark. I come to your office but can't find you. Your office is empty. I enter and look around. The only thing there is your Panama hat. And it is all filled with cobwebs.
My patients' dreams have changed.
The therapist's worldview is in itself isolating. Seasoned therapists view relationships differently, they sometimes lose patience with social ritual and bureaucracy, they cannot abide the fleeting shallow encounters and small talk of many social gatherings.

book is with Sue Patterson-Lieggi

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060938110, Paperback)

Speaking directly to the current generation of counselors, The Gift of Therapy lays out simple suggestions that blend personal experience with professional objectivity. This is a book that will remind you why you entered the field in the first place. With tips on avoiding diagnosis (except for insurance purposes), when to disclose personal information, and why it's important to leave time between patient appointments, the recommendations are aimed at therapists, but they may be useful to patients who want to know what to expect from their counselors. Some references to the DSM-IV may be a little over the layperson’s head, but in general the writing is clear and understandable for lay readers as well as professionals.

Each chapter is just a few pages long, a nice format for busy folks whose reading time occurs in snippets. A single topic is addressed in each chapter, and author Irvin Yalom doesn't waste any time in getting to the point. Many of the sections revolve around balancing the "magic, mystery, and authority" that come with the job of freeing your clients of their reliance on you.

From when to offer an occasional hug to finding the perfect time for deeper questioning, Yalom's experienced observations will help you achieve even greater professional effectiveness while avoiding some of the more obvious traps in this HMO-directed age of mental health care. --Jill Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible