Last of the Dragons and Some Others by E.…

Last of the Dragons and Some Others (1972)

by E. Nesbit

173None68,234 (3.93)3

This was another book I read aloud with my kids. They love dragons for some reason, and they really enjoyed these stories. They have a fairy tale feel to them, with moral lessons, (somewhat) gruesome endings, and all. My children especially liked the baby that would cry and cry and cry whenever its mother was asleep. (No real surprise that my daughter felt a kinship with that particular character.) I especially liked that the princesses weren't all just waiting to be rescued and that so many of the dragons' scales clattered like metal. I like the idea that perhaps a dragon sounds a bit like a very large wind chime.

Maybe these stories will act as a gateway to other Edith Nesbit books that my children might finally allow me to read to them. Sure, I could read children's literature to myself, but it just feels more efficient to read it aloud to my kids since I read to them constantly anyway. It could also be a good introduction to The Hobbit. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | May 4, 2013 |
I think this was a really good book! I had to read it for on of my classes! I loved it! Great story! The book also has a really good moral (lesson)! Check it out!!
  Blonde.Kimmie | Apr 8, 2010 |

E. Nesbitprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blegvad, ErikIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Complete Book of Dragons" (1972) contains nine dragon tales, eight of which had appeared in "The Book of Dragons" (1900). It was re-issued as "The Last of the Dragons and some others" (1975).

The book of beasts.--Uncle James.--The deliverers of their country.--The ice dragon.--The dragon tamers.--The fiery dragon.--Kind little Edmund.--The Isle of the Nine Whirlpools.--The last of the dragons. - This is the same collection as "The Book of Dragons, with the addition of the story "The Last of the Dragons."

Relates what happens to the very last dragon in Cornwall when the local princess and her prince decide, in a departure from tradition, to tame the dragon rather than fight him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible