Frantic by Katherine Howell

Title:Frantic
Authors:Katherine Howell
Info:Bolinda Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Frantic by Katherine Howell

"Stupid people did stupid things to other stupid people and she had to sort it out and clean it up"

The action moves quickly in this book, told in alternating story-lines, from a paramedic's viewpoint, Sophie Phillips & a detective's, Ella Marconi.
Sophie & her partner are called to deliver a premature baby, and the stress level increases when the mother begins haemorrhaging. Later they rush to a multi-vehicle crash scene, salivating. Sophie's partner exclaims "what a beauty" referencing that 2 people are dead, 2 injured & 1 is unconscious at the scene. The characters keep hoping for a major crisis, mentioning how they delight in tragic situations. The author is a former ambulance worker and it made me wonder if all emergency workers love a good disaster! The author also adds detailed medical descriptions & professional jargon, to the story - some of which is not explained, taken for granted that the reader grasps the idiom.

I was prompted to read this after reading so many positive reviews of Howell's books. This is the first book in the series. Slang aside, the insider knowledge of paramedics really added so much to the book, i just couldn't stop reading. It's the perfect summer read, nothing taxing, just pure entertainment. I'm look forward to reading the second book in the series shortly, The Darkest Hour, which I just ordered :-D
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
In one terrible moment, paramedic Sophie Phillips’ life is ripped apart – her police officer husband, Chris, is shot on their doorstep and their ten-month-old son, Lachlan, is abducted from his bed. Suspicion surrounds Chris as he is tainted with police corruption, but Sophie believes the attack is much more personal – and the perpetrator far more dangerous...
This is the first in a series of crime novels by Katherine Howell, in which Detective Ella Marconi, stars. I found this story gripping - and a real nail biter. It's a change from my usual reading but I enjoyed the change, and particularly appreciated finding another aussie writer, with a story set in familiar territory - the suburbs of Sydney. Readers who like crime, mixed with authentic paramedic/ambulance scenes and procedures, and believable, relatable characters, will find this a great read. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
Frantic is the first novel in the Ella Marconi detective series. I think that Katherine has an excellent writing style and she clearly knows her subject when it comes to writing medical jargon having come from a medical background herself and working as a paramedic.

What was immediately apparent to me though was that although the series is about Ella Marconi, Ella herself is not the dominant female character in the book and I'm not sure whether that is deliberate. I almost forgot about Ella and was more interested in Sophie, the paramedic whose husband Chris, a police officer is shot and whose son is abducted possibly murdered. On the basis that this was the first book and Ella was going to return I would have expected her to be the dominant female character, but maybe I just got wrapped up in the story and wanted to find out what had happened to baby Lachlan which is probably no bad thing as it kept me reading. I thought the twist at the end was great. There were a couple of loose ends I would have liked to see tied up.

I actually started this book a few weeks back and for one reason or another did not have the time to get further than about page 60. The main action starts from around page 83 so there is a lot of build up to the shooting but I read the rest of the book in one sitting so that's a good recommendation! ( )
  CeliaConrad | Mar 31, 2014 |
I chose to read the first Ella Marconi book both to fulfill my remaining obligations in the 2013 Global Reading Challenge (just a handful of books to go to reach the expert level) and because I’ve read a number of glowing reviews on other crime fiction blog posts and comment threads. I really need to keep track where I read these recommendations in order to give proper credit: a goal for 2014.

While this book is called the first in the Ella Marconi series (Ella is a detective with the Sidney police), it feels like the majority of the book belongs to Sophie, a paramedic and mother of an infant, who goes about her work day and deals with her husband Chris, a police officer suffering from post traumatic stress after being assaulted on the job. Before the central crime in the book occurs I am worn out as we follow Sophie on her shift. The investigation in the book centers around the shooting of Chris and the abduction of their son, which also ramps up the tension in the novel.

Ella herself is a detective bemoaning her lack of interesting cases as the novel begins (she’s been a bit stymied because of her abruptness to a superior on a prior case), but those complaints are short-lived. Ella begins to uncover police corruption, and that arc I assume will be played out in the subsequent novels. I don’t know too much about Ella yet, but she’s an interesting, capable character, which is refreshing.

Frantic is a plot heavy book, which makes it difficult to review much beyond this point. It’s a brisk read with a galloping ending, and I’m excited to read the next book in the series.
  rkreish | Oct 30, 2013 |
This is the first book in the Ella Marconi, a police detective in Sydney, series. But in this story she is not the protagonist. This role falls to Sophie Phillips, a paramedic married to a police officer, and a mother. When her husband is shot and her infant son disappears her life is turned upside down and this is the story of this book.

It's an enjoyable and easy read. But being the first in a series I was expecting more from, and about, Ella Marconi. ( )
  Balthazar-Lawson | Jun 2, 2013 |

In one terrible moment, paramedic Sophie Philips' life is ripped apart -- her policeman husband, Chris, is shot on their doorstep and their ten-month-old son, Lachlan, is abducted from his bed. Suspicion surrounds Chris as he is tainted with police corruption, but Sophie believes the attack is much more personal -- and the perpetrator far more dangerous... With Chris in the hospital and the police mobilising to find their colleague's son, Sophie's desperation compels her to search for Lachlan herself. Enlisting her husband's partner, Angua Arendson, in the hut for her son, will the history they share prove harmful to Sophie's ability to complete her mission? Could one dangerous decision ultimate cause her to lose everything ...?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible