Where the Heart is by Billie Letts

Where the Heart is (edition 1995)

by Billie Letts

Member:Yearsgran
Title:Where the Heart is
Authors:Billie Letts
Info:Warner Books (1995), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 358 pages
Rating:*****

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (Monika_L)
    Plainsong by Kent Haruf (jo2son, shesinplainview)
    jo2son: Both books are set in small town United States. In both books people who are strangers become like family to each other.
    The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts (bethielouwho)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (shesinplainview)
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (faither)
    faither: At the end both will leave you smiling.
    Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik (khuggard)
    khuggard: Both stories about unrelated people coming together to form a family.
    Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: This book is very reminescent of Where the Heart Is. Both are a quick read and carry many of the same emotions.
    Entering Normal by Anne Leclaire (dara85)

English (84)  Danish (2)  All languages (86)
I do not seek out best-sellers. Since "Where the Heart Is" was an Oprah's Book Club selection, I am guessing it was a best-seller. I did not go looking for it. I bought it mostly because the house pictured on the front of the book looked very similar to the house on the cover of another book I planned to purchase at the same garage sale.

I agree with a previous reviewer: It seems people either love or hate this book. If those are the two choices, then put me in the "love" category. The author keeps the story moving along. It became one of those "can I steal a few more minutes to read?" type of books. Though aspects of the book seemed preposterous, nothing the author chose is too far from the truth for someone. Truth really is stranger than fiction, and I can imagine any of the situations and characters being based on something or someone in real life.

I would recommend this book, and look forward to reading others by the same author. ( )
  Bandings | Sep 3, 2014 |
This book was really good! Now this is what I call a great book! The author thought of an original plot. I'm getting tired of the same paranormal books with vampires, and witches. I didn't see the movie. My friend gave this book to me. I liked the main character, you should read this book. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
2010 mini-ring to kelsey10; returned; I read an except of this book in a magazine when it was first published. Novalee is a 17 yo unwed teen, going to California with her boyfriend. He abandons her in a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma. She survives in Wal-mart for 2 months, finally delivering her baby with one of the locals at night in the store. She's been befriended by some of the locals in town, who had no idea where she was living and they take her & the baby in. She builds a lot on her inner strength over the next 7 years, raising her daughter with the help of the locals. Willy Jack is almost ancillary to the story. You don't need the book to see that his life, which was nothing much before he abandoned Novalee, just continues to spiral downhill, despite a blip of fame. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 4, 2014 |
Looking at the other reviews for this novel, it seems people either love it or hate it. Maybe because my roots are in the South, I'm on the love it side. The characters are endearing, the story is engaging; there is heartache, but also an extra dose of southern comfort from friends and neighbors to get through. Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts is that kind of down home southern story that you can just sink into with a glass of sweet tea by your side. ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 25, 2014 |
For Dennis
who trusts the truth of miracle and magic
Novalee Nation, seventeen, seven months pregnant, thirty-seven pounds overweight--and superstitious about sevens--shifted uncomfortably in the seat of the old Plymouth and ran her hands down the curve of her belly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446672211, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, December 1998: A funny thing happens to Novalee Nation on her way to Bakersfield, California. Her ne'er-do-well boyfriend, Willie Jack Pickens, abandons her in an Oklahoma Wal-Mart and takes off on his own, leaving her with just 10 dollars and the clothes on her back. Not that hard luck is anything new to Novalee, who is "seventeen, seven months pregnant, thirty-seven pounds overweight--and superstitious about sevens.... For most people, sevens were lucky. But not for her," Billie Letts writes. "She'd had a bad history with them, starting with her seventh birthday, the day Momma Nell ran away with a baseball umpire named Fred..."

Still, finding herself alone and penniless in Sequoyah, Oklahoma is enough to make even someone as inured to ill fortune as Novalee want to give up and die. Fortunately, the Wal-Mart parking lot is the Sequoyah equivalent of a town square, and within hours Novalee has met three people who will change her life: Sister Thelma Husband, a kindly eccentric; Benny Goodluck, a young Native American boy; and Moses Whitecotton, an elderly African American photographer. For the next two months, Novalee surreptitiously makes her home in the Wal-Mart, sleeping there at night, exploring the town by day. When she goes into labor and delivers her baby there, however, Novalee learns that sometimes it's not so bad to depend on the kindness of strangers--especially if one of them happens to be Sam Walton, the superchain's founder.

Where the Heart Is oddly mixes heart-warming vignettes and surprising, brutal violence. Novalee's story is juxtaposed with occasional chapters chronicling Willy Jack's downward spiral into prison, disappointment, and degradation. And even in Sequoyah, sudden storms, domestic violence, kidnapping, and deadly fires punctuate Novalee's progress from homeless, unwed teen mom to successful, happy member of the community. This is not a subtle book; there's never any doubt that our heroine will make a home for herself and her baby or that Willy Jack will get what he deserves for abandoning them. Still, Billie Letts has created several memorable characters, and there's always room for another novel that celebrates the life-affirming qualities of reading, the importance of education, and the power of love to change lives. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:23 -0400)

A pregnant girl abandoned by her boyfriend hides in a Wal-Mart store, gives birth and becomes a celebrity as the mother of the Wal-Mart Baby. Help flows from everywhere as people jump on the publicity bandwagon, then the baby is kidnaped.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible