General Winston's Daughter by Sharon Shinn

General Winston's Daughter

by Sharon Shinn

1961260,038 (3.48)8

Wow. What starts out as a gracefully written story of a young woman having spunky adventures ends up being a powerful allegory of colonial imperialism. I was enamored from the start to give it four stars, but as I read the last 1/4 I realized that it unquestionably deserves 5. I recommend it to teen girls, teen boys, fans of YA, fans of Shinn, readers of historical fiction, and anyone who wants to learn about our world by exploring a slightly different one. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This book...I loved it. It is truly amazing. The characters are very well developed. The story is a page turner. The ending is such a surprise. I can't say enough about this book. ( )
  jmorrison | Jan 7, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this latest young adult fantasy from Shinn. The topic of colonization is an interesting one to me and was dealt with very well while still informing the overall world building and characters. ( )
  janemarieprice | Feb 1, 2011 |
Lady Averie Winston sails to recently conquered Chiarrin to spend a few months with her father and fiance, who are with the occupation army there. She falls in love with the country and the people straightaway, but the country is restless, and Chiarrin rebels are still fighting the invaders. Averie comes to question the concept of imperialism, which she has taken for granted her whole life. Meanwhile, Averie and her fiance both discover that the other is not who they thought or wished they were. ( )
  soraki | Nov 19, 2010 |
To my agent, Ethan Ellenberg, who loved this book from the very beginning
It seemed like the voyage to Chiarrin would take forever.

When seventeen-year-old heiress Averie Winston travels with her guardian to faraway Chiarrin, she looks forward to a reunion with her father, who is a commanding general, seeing her handsome fiancé Morgan once more, and exploring the strange new country. What she finds is entirely different. Although the Chiarizzi appear to tolerate the invading army, rebels have already tried to destroy them; Morgan is not the man she thought he was; and she finds herself falling in love with Lieutenant Ket Du’kai, who himself comes from a conquered society. Can the irrepressible Averie remake herself in this new world? Sharon Shinn’s newest romance has an epic sweep, piquant humor, social commentary, and love to spare—just the thing when you want to lose yourself in another world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old heiress Averie Winston travels with her guardian to faraway Chiarrin, a country her father's army has occupied, and once she arrives and is reunited with her fiance, she discovers that her notions about politics, propriety, the military, and even her intended have changed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible