Black Star, Bright Dawn by Scott O'Dell

Black Star, Bright Dawn (1988)

by Scott O'Dell

385727,939 (4)10

In my opinion this is a really good book. This book is about a young girl and her adventure of running the Iditarod at 18 years old. She never imagined she would compete in the Iditarod, but her father’s injuries forced her to take his place. I really enjoyed how this was told from Bright Dawn’s point of view because it allowed me to try and understand how she was feeling and why she made certain decisions. The narrative focused on her relationship with Black Star, the lead part-husky, part-wolf sled dog, and the many different encounters they have on the 1,179-mile race. I am personally attracted to anything that has to do with animals, especially dogs, so I found the relationship between Black Star and Bright Dawn incredibly interesting to read about. I also liked the writing because it was very engaging and flowed well with the pace of the book. The descriptions were incredibly vivid and allows the reader imagine what was being described. For example, when Bright Dawn and her dog-team encountered a moose the writing was engaging and the language was descriptive: “Snow was falling, and at first I thought it was a pile of rocks covered by brush. As I drew closer, the rocks turned into trees, then into a shaggy beast. I thought it was a caribou. Then I saw the spreading horns and the long lumpy nose. It was a moose, a bull moss, big and red-eyed.” I liked how rather then blatantly saying, “I saw a moose,” the author gradually puts bits of information into the passage. By doing this, the reader continues to read on to see what happens. Descriptions like this were frequent throughout this book and I thought they really made the book more engaging. O’Dell focuses mostly on Bright Dawn and, as a result, the drama associated with her struggle throughout the race is intensified. The big idea of this book is about the struggle against nature and the lesson it teaches in how to become self-reliant. ( )
  sarabeck | May 11, 2014 |
It was all really good. I liked the part about the Iditarod, it was really interesting.She really likes her dog whose name is Black Star. He is my favorite dog in this book. I would highly recommend it to anyone, not just kids!
By Margot ( )
  CrossroadsLearning | Mar 6, 2013 |
This was a good book that keeps you engaged. It is about an Eskimo girl that has to take her dad's place in a big race. She is excited because she can be in the race but feels bad for her dad. Along the way, she meets new friends and is very proud of the dogs.
  DBPeeples | Apr 14, 2010 |
This is a book about an eskimo girl named Dawn who's father loved to dog sled. There was an upcoming race of 1,200 miles in the Iditarod. Her father was unexpectedly hurt so, Dawn was then giving the chance to race. Durning the race, Dawn faces many struggles. But she also makes new friends and finishes the race with Black star leading the pack. This book keeps you on your toes, you never know what is going to happen. I loved this book and would have it in my collection of books. I would try and find someway to incorporate it into one of my lessons.
  temorrison | Mar 8, 2010 |
AWESOME BOOK!!!! ( )
  anniegirl291 | Mar 4, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547053193, Paperback)

Most young girls' experiences never involve hunting bearded seals on the ice, even within the Alaskan Eskimo culture. In Scott O'Dell's gripping novel, Bright Dawn is an exception. In her father's eyes, she became his son's replacement ever since her brother drowned. When Bright Dawn is 18 years old, her father, recently injured, insists that she take his place in the Iditarod, the famous Alaskan dogsled race covering more than a thousand miles between Anchorage and Nome. Unflinching, yet trembling in her mukluks, she faces her challenge head-on.

Bright Dawn proves herself to be a strong, courageous heroine--crossing rivers, mountain ranges, and vast stretches of frozen tundra--with her team of dogs, including the lead Black Star. While the rush of wind and relentless, blinding stretches of ice are exhilarating, the dangers involved make Bright Dawn realize that it's not only the race, but her life that she's entrusting to her team of dogs. O'Dell, author of the Newbery Award-winning Island of the Blue Dolphins, has created an intense, suspenseful, clearly written adventure story that's sure to capture the imagination of young readers and take them for a blustery ride. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:21 -0400)

Bright Dawn must face the challenge of the Iditarod dog sled race alone when her father is injured.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible