Black Star, Bright Dawn by Scott O'Dell

Black Star, Bright Dawn (1988)

by Scott O'Dell

374None28,729 (3.96)10

It was all really good. I liked the part about the Iditarod, it was really interesting.She really likes her dog whose name is Black Star. He is my favorite dog in this book. I would highly recommend it to anyone, not just kids!
By Margot ( )
  CrossroadsLearning | Mar 6, 2013 |
This was a good book that keeps you engaged. It is about an Eskimo girl that has to take her dad's place in a big race. She is excited because she can be in the race but feels bad for her dad. Along the way, she meets new friends and is very proud of the dogs.
  DBPeeples | Apr 14, 2010 |
This is a book about an eskimo girl named Dawn who's father loved to dog sled. There was an upcoming race of 1,200 miles in the Iditarod. Her father was unexpectedly hurt so, Dawn was then giving the chance to race. Durning the race, Dawn faces many struggles. But she also makes new friends and finishes the race with Black star leading the pack. This book keeps you on your toes, you never know what is going to happen. I loved this book and would have it in my collection of books. I would try and find someway to incorporate it into one of my lessons.
  temorrison | Mar 8, 2010 |
AWESOME BOOK!!!! ( )
  anniegirl291 | Mar 4, 2010 |
I first read this in 3rd/4th (?) grade while looking for something to read in the school library, it eventually turned into one of the all time favorite books, really the book the started my lifetime love of books. A "classic" coming of age story of a young Eskimo girl and her first time running the Iditarod race, dealing with her personal fears and endurance, natural trials of the Alaskan wild, as well as old and new friendships discovered along the way.

Black Star, Bright Dawn had a way of bringing me into its own world, one of those books where you ceased to be simply reading words on paper, but lived along with Bright Dawn; facing everything she endured right along with her. Vividly written in a prose of a classic storyteller, it's turned into a book I still remember dearly even after so many books in between.

I'd recommend it to any young reader, especially young girls. ( )
  Azureh | Nov 13, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547053193, Paperback)

Most young girls' experiences never involve hunting bearded seals on the ice, even within the Alaskan Eskimo culture. In Scott O'Dell's gripping novel, Bright Dawn is an exception. In her father's eyes, she became his son's replacement ever since her brother drowned. When Bright Dawn is 18 years old, her father, recently injured, insists that she take his place in the Iditarod, the famous Alaskan dogsled race covering more than a thousand miles between Anchorage and Nome. Unflinching, yet trembling in her mukluks, she faces her challenge head-on.

Bright Dawn proves herself to be a strong, courageous heroine--crossing rivers, mountain ranges, and vast stretches of frozen tundra--with her team of dogs, including the lead Black Star. While the rush of wind and relentless, blinding stretches of ice are exhilarating, the dangers involved make Bright Dawn realize that it's not only the race, but her life that she's entrusting to her team of dogs. O'Dell, author of the Newbery Award-winning Island of the Blue Dolphins, has created an intense, suspenseful, clearly written adventure story that's sure to capture the imagination of young readers and take them for a blustery ride. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:21 -0400)

Bright Dawn must face the challenge of the Iditarod dog sled race alone when her father is injured.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible