My Penguin Osbert by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

My Penguin Osbert (2004)

by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel, H. B. Lewis (Illustrator)

This book is such a delightful read! In my opinion, the highlight of the book was the combination of the illustrations and child-like thought process present in the text. For instance, one page of the book portrays a letter that the main character wrote to Santa. Part of it states, “I feel like maybe I should have asked for a different present, and you want to swap, that would be OK.” Instead of simply telling Santa what he wants, the kind hearted and innocent main character adorably fails at hiding his true intentions. The text is heart-warming, but so are the illustrations, especially on the page where the main character is depicted with his messy morning hair, pajamas, and tongue sticking out in reaction to the gross pile of fish that Osbert, his pet penguin, enjoys eating. Overall, I enjoyed reading about a child who got what he asked for, learned that his wish was poorly planned, and learned to relinquish his treasured friend for the friend’s sake. Everything about this book was charming and heart filling; I would definitely include it in my future collection of ( )
  Amy_Ko | Dec 2, 2015 |
43 months - Picked this one up for a new read this holiday. Beautifully illustrated and a good moral... Be realistic in what you ask Santa for for Christmas. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Summary: A little boy has been disappointed with Santa's presents to him every year so this year, he decided to give Santa the exact specifics of what he wanted for Christmas. On Christmas morning, the boy went downstairs and saw the exact present he wanted sitting there. It was a penguin named Osbert. Osbert and the boy had very different tastes. Osbert wanted to play outside in the cold all day. When they got inside, Osbert wanted to take a cold bath and used way too much soap. To eat, the boy wanted chocolate chip waffles but Osbert wanted herring with seaweed for breakfast. While the boy was doing chores, Osbert was making a fort out of the frozen food and it melted into a huge puddle. After all of this, the boy writes another letter to Santa explaining that the present didnt turn out the way he expected and he would change if possible. A couple days later, Santa wrote back and sent passes to the Antarctic World at the zoo and a red sweater. The boy and Osbert walked all the way to the zoo. Once the got to the exhibit, Osbert fell in love with the way it was set up. There was herring, cold weather, snow and other penguins. At the end of the day, the boy knew he had to say goodbye to Osbert. Now the boy is lonely but still goes to visit Osbert at the zoo and always wears his red sweater so Osbert remembers him.

Argument: I really like this book. I thought it was a cute story about a Christmas wish and a boy. I think the main message I got out of this book was about doing the right thing. For both the boy and Osbert, sending him to the Antarctic exhibit in the zoo was the right thing to do. Keeping Osbert was too much for the boy to handle and Osbert was not fully happy either. Even though it was hard to say goodbye, it was necessary and made both of them happy. Another message is that every time Osbert does something different than what the boy wants to do the boy repeats "I had asked for Osbert, and now I had him. So we ____" This message shows that even if something isn't going exactly how it was planned, sometimes you have to stick with it. ( )
  csteve13 | Oct 12, 2014 |
Be careful what you wish for and more importantly how you wish for it. A really sweet tale about a little boy and the real life penguin he asks Santa to bring him. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book is a lot of fun and has a very heartfelt twist since the child at its center makes a tough choice to do something in the best interest of his friend rather than to keep his friend, the penguin, at home with him. This is a beautiful book and I really enjoyed reading it with my students. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |

Elizabeth Cody Kimmelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, H. B.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my friend, agent, and idol Marcia Wernick, who always knows just what to ask for. - E.C.K.

For Staci, who didn't even ask for Osbert, but loves him anyway. - H.B.L.
This year, I was very specific in my letter to Santa Claus.

Fabulously illustrated by H. B. Lewis, Elizabeth Cody Kimmel's hilarious romp through the land of be-careful-what-you-wish-for offers a whole year's worth of holiday fun magic.

This year, I was very specific in my letter to Santa Claus.

Each year at Christmas, Joe writes a letter to Santa. But they've had a few misunderstandings in the past. Last year, for example, Joe wanted a fire-engine-red racecar with retracting headlights, and he did get one — but it was only three inches long. So this year Joe is really, really careful. He describes exactly what he wants — and on Christmas morning, guess what's waiting for him under the tree! Santa has brought him a living, breathing, black-and-white penguin named Osbert. Will anything in Joe's life ever be the same?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

When a boy finally gets exactly what he wants from Santa, he learns that owning a real penguin may not have been a good idea after all.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763616990, 0763636835, 0763636924

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible