dismiss

Anne's House of Dreams (1917)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (5)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

The Anne books are just plain lovely. I absolutely loved them when I was young and they still make me warm inside thinking about them now.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
A bit too much chatter, a bit too wordy, but still a beautiful, cozy tale. As I said, I appreciate these books much more at 29 than I did at 10. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
I didn't quite like this book initially as I found the language more flowery than previous books in the series. However, the story and the characters won me over. The new characters like Leslie Moore, Cornelia Bryant, and Captain Jim are not as contrived as some of those in the previous series. Cornelia is super funny, Captain Jim is so wise and Leslie's life is so tragic. Montgomery also included such wicked twists like the identity of Dick Moore and Cornelia's marriage. So I found myself enjoying this book tremendously. I give it a 4.5 rating. ( )
  siok | Feb 9, 2019 |
While "Anne of Windy Willows" is my least favourite book in the Anne series, this is one of my favourites. It is poignant, darker and has more depth in it than some of the earlier books. I shed tears with Anne when she lost her baby.

Although Marilla and Diana are missing, Miss Cornelia, Captain Jim, Susan and Leslie are strong, interesting characters, especially Leslie. Her story is so sad, but I am glad it ends well for her. I also have a real soft spot for Captain Jim. He is such a gentle, wise sole, and I hope he is reunited with his Lost Margaret.

My one complaint about "Anne's House of Dreams" is that I did find some of the stories and dialogues rather long and, at times, preachy, especially from Miss Cornelia and Captain Jim. However, I loved the strong female friendships and Anne's growth. Through trials and triumphs, she is finally a mature woman. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Oct 23, 2018 |
Not my favorite, but still enjoyable. Why do I feel like Anne as a character went downhill after she married Gilbert? ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.
But it ain't our feelings we have to steer by through life—no, no, we'd make shipwreck mighty often if we did that. There's only the one safe compass and we've got to set our course by that—what it's right to do.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438626, 1909438634

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,886,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible