No title (1917)

4,83249958 (4)102

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

Audiobook performed by Justine Eyre

In book five of this much-beloved series, Anne begins her married life. I don’t want to say any more because I don’t want to include spoilers.

What I love about these books is Anne, herself. She’s so optimistic and friendly, with good common sense, a kind heart, and a generous spirit. She is no stranger to trouble and heartache, and this book definitely includes some heart-wrenching events, but she relies on her strength of character to see her through, and ultimately achieves happiness by recognizing her many blessings and being thankful for them. I love the young woman she has become.

Justine Eyre does a marvelous job voicing the audio book. There are many characters, and she is up to the task of giving each of them a unique voice and demeanor. Of course, Montgomery’s writing gets much of the credit, but Eyre really brings them to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Oct 25, 2016 |
After a three-year engagement, Anne and Gilbert are finally married and move away from Avonlea to the small community where Gilbert will set up his practice. In their small but perfect house, Anne and Gilbert enjoy the first years of their marriage and encounter delightful few neighbours on their side of the harbour including Captain Jim who minds the lighthouse, Miss Cornelia who never has a good word to say about men, and Leslie whose life has been far too full of tragedy.

Definitely one of my favourites in this series. While the hopeless romantic in me can't help but wish the book was nothing but Anne and Gilbert, the brief glimpses we get into their married life are worth relishing. As for the collection of neighbours, their plots and exploits are as entertaining as one would expect from a character who came from Montgomery. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 2, 2016 |
Steadily making my way through the Anne of Green Gables books. Anne and Gilbert are married and living in their "House of Dreams". The book was good but I understand why people prefer the first four. Anne is still the same irrepressible person but I prefer her youthful innocence to her living the harder life of an adult. And I miss her Green Gables family. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
My biggest beef with the Anne books is that they're all talk and very little action. Instead of watching characters do stuff, we listen to them talk about doing stuff. This book isn't as bad as previous books, but there are still plenty of scenes made up of nothing but dialogue.

Montgomery makes up for this in her characters and settings, though. Anne is one of the most enchanting characters in literature and Gilbert is my biggest book crush. We meet a lot of fun characters through Anne's adventures, but Captain Jim and Leslie from this book are among my favorites.

I never thought I would come to love a place as much as I love Green Gables, but Anne's "house of dreams" captured my heart. You couldn't ask for a more perfect place to start a marriage and family. If you belong to the race of Joseph, that is. I'll miss that little house with the garden and the brook. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is the fifth book in the series which started with 'Anne of Green Gables'. In this story, Anne gets married and moves to her 'house of dreams'. There she makes new friends, and has new joys and sorrows.

A bit rambling in places, but enjoyable on the whole. Gentle fiction for teenagers or adults set in Canada in the early part of the 20th century. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible