Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,661501,018 (4)99
Member:exlibrisgrace
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover
Tags:Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

Recently added bymemccauley6, Maria_Aprile, private library, tapiocapie, paige.alden, ASIJ, cvbmom

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books of all times! I have read it gazillion times and watched the 3 movies million times! I guess it is for all ages and for both gender. I just love Anne and her red hair and wild temper and how she is always hopeful and dreamy, whenever I read or watch this story I feel lighter and happier, she is one of a kind.

Anne Shirley is one of my favorite heroines, and Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books and series. I remember receiving it as a gift when I was about 11 and I read it and re-read it hundred of times. When I discovered the TV movies I fell even deeper in love I watched them with mom every night for all that winter! I just discovered the rest of the story.

In a way, Anne reminded me of myself, I was imaginative, so skinny, wild, smart, and in a way had a rough childhood, but no red hair! I love Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, I LOVE Gilbert Blithe! I guess I got "the whole full name calling" from this book till this day.

I love the goodness, pureness and reality of the story. I love to believe that humans can always find goodness within themselves no matter how different they are. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
After a three-year engagement, Anne and Gilbert are finally married and move away from Avonlea to the small community where Gilbert will set up his practice. In their small but perfect house, Anne and Gilbert enjoy the first years of their marriage and encounter delightful few neighbours on their side of the harbour including Captain Jim who minds the lighthouse, Miss Cornelia who never has a good word to say about men, and Leslie whose life has been far too full of tragedy.

Definitely one of my favourites in this series. While the hopeless romantic in me can't help but wish the book was nothing but Anne and Gilbert, the brief glimpses we get into their married life are worth relishing. As for the collection of neighbours, their plots and exploits are as entertaining as one would expect from a character who came from Montgomery. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 2, 2016 |
Steadily making my way through the Anne of Green Gables books. Anne and Gilbert are married and living in their "House of Dreams". The book was good but I understand why people prefer the first four. Anne is still the same irrepressible person but I prefer her youthful innocence to her living the harder life of an adult. And I miss her Green Gables family. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
My biggest beef with the Anne books is that they're all talk and very little action. Instead of watching characters do stuff, we listen to them talk about doing stuff. This book isn't as bad as previous books, but there are still plenty of scenes made up of nothing but dialogue.

Montgomery makes up for this in her characters and settings, though. Anne is one of the most enchanting characters in literature and Gilbert is my biggest book crush. We meet a lot of fun characters through Anne's adventures, but Captain Jim and Leslie from this book are among my favorites.

I never thought I would come to love a place as much as I love Green Gables, but Anne's "house of dreams" captured my heart. You couldn't ask for a more perfect place to start a marriage and family. If you belong to the race of Joseph, that is. I'll miss that little house with the garden and the brook. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible