Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,570471,049 (4)96
Member:exlibrisgrace
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover
Tags:Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

My biggest beef with the Anne books is that they're all talk and very little action. Instead of watching characters do stuff, we listen to them talk about doing stuff. This book isn't as bad as previous books, but there are still plenty of scenes made up of nothing but dialogue.

Montgomery makes up for this in her characters and settings, though. Anne is one of the most enchanting characters in literature and Gilbert is my biggest book crush. We meet a lot of fun characters through Anne's adventures, but Captain Jim and Leslie from this book are among my favorites.

I never thought I would come to love a place as much as I love Green Gables, but Anne's "house of dreams" captured my heart. You couldn't ask for a more perfect place to start a marriage and family. If you belong to the race of Joseph, that is. I'll miss that little house with the garden and the brook. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is the fifth book in the series which started with 'Anne of Green Gables'. In this story, Anne gets married and moves to her 'house of dreams'. There she makes new friends, and has new joys and sorrows.

A bit rambling in places, but enjoyable on the whole. Gentle fiction for teenagers or adults set in Canada in the early part of the 20th century. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A story of marriage, birth, and death all wrapped around Anne's and Gilbert's first house. As in the past books we meet new characters which are just as full as the many we have already met: Captain Jim, Miss Cornelia, Leslie. The quality of the writing, pace of the story, and characterization are true to form. The only thing that annoys me a little is the sometimes overdone descriptions, but through the eyes of Anne, I suppose there is no other way to describe things. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
I love all the Anne books; some of my absolute favorites from my childhood. This one I'd give 4.5 stars--so many beautiful stories and characters interweaving together, with the lovely prose and descriptions of nature Montgomery has made Anne famous for (and vice versa). And so much depth, without crazy drama. I love the graceful way Montgomery shows Anne growing up in this series. It's a pleasure to read about, and something to hope for in my own life. Plus, I love the ever-present Bible jokes. Gilbert's musings about a "black but comely" female crow made me smile, as did many others.

My one sticking point is that I wish there was more of Anne and Gilbert's relationship in here. We really only get some hints in passing, or the occasional conversation, and I liked those a lot. :) ( )
1 vote elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible