Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,303381,147 (4)83
Member:exlibrisgrace
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover
Tags:Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

What I most love about the later "Anne" books is really what I love about the ones that came before. They are about nothing more than the simple goings on of life, told about wonderfully developed characters in one of the most beautiful settings on earth. One cannot help but fall in love with the characters of Captain Jim and Cornelia Bennett and to wish and wish for the true happiness of dear Leslie Moore. For a long time I did not read the later Anne books, because I did not want her to grow up, but I love who Anne has become and to see how L.M. Montgomery follows through on the life of one of the world's most lovable characters. ( )
  GReader28 | Sep 7, 2014 |
Oh... I wouldn't say it's "sad" to see Anne grown up. It does give you a sense of nostalgia, comparing Anne Blythe to little Anne Shirley, but it isn't exactly sad, to me. It's life, and Anne moves right along with it. She laughs, she dreams, she dances around the beach when she thinks no one can see her...

She's Anne, as a woman, interpreted for young readers in another time. The Blythes are newlyweds, behaving as newlyweds behave, but of course Montgomery doesn't describe all of their physical affection in literal terms; this isn't a romance novel. But if Gilbert answers Anne, answers her without words, we get it, and I think it's lovely. Montgomery doesn't dwell on Anne's pregnancies, befitting literature meant to be read by children in the early 1900s. But we get it, when there's something Anne's longing for, even when she doesn't say it aloud. Little Anne Shirley longed to have a bosom friend, and Anne Blythe longs to have a child. She's still Anne.

Then, of course, Four Winds must be the most beautiful place on earth, while you're there. Montgomery never fails at painting nature. It's what makes her one of my favorite authors for good old-fashioned "comfort reading." Sure, it's a lot of sentiment on my part, but having a place to fully indulge that kind of sentiment is what makes books like this GOOD. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Anne books are kind of trashy. Just...largely concerned with flimsily set-up romances and the antics of "adorable" children. I was planning to reread the whole series so that I could accurately rate them on goodreads, but I don't think I can stomach more than the four I've read in the past couple days.

Well, at least in this one there aren't so many children. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Anne’s House of Dreams tells the story of Anne’s first couple of years of marriage to Gilbert Blythe. Anne must make her goodbyes to Marilla, Mrs. Lynde and the twins as she and Gilbert will be relocating to the area of Glen St Mary where Gilbert is setting up his practise. Of course first comes their wedding which is held in the old orchard at Green Gables.

Anne is terribly homesick at first, but grows to love her new home, the House of Dreams that she has been wishing for. She also makes some interesting and colourful friends and it isn’t long before she is helping others find their own peace and happiness. She loves married life and even though they are sorely tested by tragedy, she and Gilbert only grow to love each other more.

This entry in the series captures the essence that was missing in the last book. I could quite happily leave this series here and now, but the completist in me will continue on. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 23, 2013 |
Not sure if gifs and things work on LT, so: http://wp.me/pqShW-1ts
  Stewartry | Oct 8, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:41 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible