Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,251371,167 (4)80
Member:exlibrisgrace
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover
Tags:Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

Recently added byCurrerBell, sncase1, BJoybooks, thibdeb, mac1lady, catiew, MadiBour, private library, kuipers5, LoriY

Oh... I wouldn't say it's "sad" to see Anne grown up. It does give you a sense of nostalgia, comparing Anne Blythe to little Anne Shirley, but it isn't exactly sad, to me. It's life, and Anne moves right along with it. She laughs, she dreams, she dances around the beach when she thinks no one can see her...

She's Anne, as a woman, interpreted for young readers in another time. The Blythes are newlyweds, behaving as newlyweds behave, but of course Montgomery doesn't describe all of their physical affection in literal terms; this isn't a romance novel. But if Gilbert answers Anne, answers her without words, we get it, and I think it's lovely. Montgomery doesn't dwell on Anne's pregnancies, befitting literature meant to be read by children in the early 1900s. But we get it, when there's something Anne's longing for, even when she doesn't say it aloud. Little Anne Shirley longed to have a bosom friend, and Anne Blythe longs to have a child. She's still Anne.

Then, of course, Four Winds must be the most beautiful place on earth, while you're there. Montgomery never fails at painting nature. It's what makes her one of my favorite authors for good old-fashioned "comfort reading." Sure, it's a lot of sentiment on my part, but having a place to fully indulge that kind of sentiment is what makes books like this GOOD. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Anne books are kind of trashy. Just...largely concerned with flimsily set-up romances and the antics of "adorable" children. I was planning to reread the whole series so that I could accurately rate them on goodreads, but I don't think I can stomach more than the four I've read in the past couple days.

Well, at least in this one there aren't so many children. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Anne’s House of Dreams tells the story of Anne’s first couple of years of marriage to Gilbert Blythe. Anne must make her goodbyes to Marilla, Mrs. Lynde and the twins as she and Gilbert will be relocating to the area of Glen St Mary where Gilbert is setting up his practise. Of course first comes their wedding which is held in the old orchard at Green Gables.

Anne is terribly homesick at first, but grows to love her new home, the House of Dreams that she has been wishing for. She also makes some interesting and colourful friends and it isn’t long before she is helping others find their own peace and happiness. She loves married life and even though they are sorely tested by tragedy, she and Gilbert only grow to love each other more.

This entry in the series captures the essence that was missing in the last book. I could quite happily leave this series here and now, but the completist in me will continue on. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 23, 2013 |
Not sure if gifs and things work on LT, so: http://wp.me/pqShW-1ts
  Stewartry | Oct 8, 2013 |
In this fifth installment of the classic Canadian series - first published in 1917, it was actually the fourth Anne book that Montgomery wrote, but is now considered the fifth, as it chronicles events just after those in the subsequently published (1936) Anne of Windy Poplars - Anne Shirley is now Anne Blythe, doctor's wife, and embarking on a new phase of her life. Coming to live in Four Winds Harbour, where Gilbert will be taking over the practice of his Uncle Dave, the newlywed Anne finds her "house of dreams" in a little shore-side cottage - built years before by the old Four Winds schoolmaster, in anticipation of his beloved's arrival from the Old Country - and here she experiences all the joys and heartaches of young married life. Here she and Gilbert pass their honeymoon, settling into a wonderful new routine; here they make many interesting new friends, from that plain-speaking spinster, Miss Cornelia, to that storytelling old sailor, Captain Jim - not to mention beautiful Leslie Moore, with her tragic history - and here Anne bears and loses her first child: the tiny, pale little Joyce bringing true tragedy into her life for the first time.

Reading Anne's House of Dreams again for the umpteenth time - I honestly couldn't say, at this point, how many times I have read the eight books in this series - I was once again caught up in Montgomery's powerful storytelling, and struck by her beautiful language. Her descriptions of the wonders of the natural world are particularly lovely here - I loved the passages about the sea and sky, in their many moods - and her characters just as quirky and appealing as ever. I always care about Montgomery's people, even when, like Anne and Gilbert as it concerns some of Miss Cornelia's statements, I am laughing at their flaws. Of course, reading with a more critical eye, in light of our upcoming discussion of this title, over in the L.M. Montgomery Book Club to which I belong, I did spy a number of themes that made the story slightly less pleasing that it had been for me, hitherto.

It was annoying to see how Anne constantly downplayed her own literary ability - never before in the series had she dismissed herself as a mere scribbler of "fairy-tales," as if a) that were all she was capable of, and b) there was something less worthy in fairy-tales - and I could have lived without the whole "logic vs. feeling" dichotomy that plays out, in the resolution of Leslie Moore's storyline. Unlike some reviewers, it didn't trouble me that Gilbert proved correct, with regard to this latter (after all, Anne can't be right all the time), but I did dislike the fact that the distinction between logic (Gilbert and Captain Jim) and feeling (Anne and Miss Cornelia) fell out along gender lines. Leaving those issues aside - and I was far more conscious of them, on this reread, that previously - I still found myself falling under Montgomery's spell, and (as per usual) abandoning myself to the experience with pleasure. Recommended to anyone who has read the previous four Anne books! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | May 27, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:41 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible