Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,475421,094 (4)96
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

I love all the Anne books; some of my absolute favorites from my childhood. This one I'd give 4.5 stars--so many beautiful stories and characters interweaving together, with the lovely prose and descriptions of nature Montgomery has made Anne famous for (and vice versa). And so much depth, without crazy drama. I love the graceful way Montgomery shows Anne growing up in this series. It's a pleasure to read about, and something to hope for in my own life. Plus, I love the ever-present Bible jokes. Gilbert's musings about a "black but comely" female crow made me smile, as did many others.

My one sticking point is that I wish there was more of Anne and Gilbert's relationship in here. We really only get some hints in passing, or the occasional conversation, and I liked those a lot. :) ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I'm glad I reread this. I was kind of reluctant to, because I mostly remembered the sadness. Fortunately, I now recall that there is plenty of humour and joy in this book, too. It also has a fair dose of melodrama and purple prose, but L. M. Montgomery does tend to lapse into those at times. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 24, 2015 |
The woods call to us with a hundred voices, but the sea has one only — a mighty voice that drowns our souls in its majestic music. The woods are human, but the sea is of the company of the archangels.

Anne’s House of Dreams marks the transition between the girl Anne Shirley and the woman Anne Blythe. In this one Anne and Gilbert are finally married and move to their new house on the seashore at Four Winds Point.

There Gilbert will begin his new practice as a doctor and they will meet new “kindred-spirits” - the unmarried Cornelia Bryant - and the keeper of the lighthouse, Captain Jim.

The sea plays a great part in the fifth book in the [Anne of Green Gables] series. It’s by the seashore that Anne’s dreams and hopes and memories are mingled together during her long walks - and where she meets the mysterious woman Leslie Moore with a tragic past.

Although everything evolves around Anne, it is really Leslie Moore who are the most interesting character in this novel - the the friendship between Leslie and Anne will change them both forever. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Mar 13, 2015 |
[Re-read 2013]
Not my favorite of the series, but I do love the details of life near the sea, Anne's home and garden, and Captain Jim (except for his comments about women and logic).

I do feel a bit uneasy with the direction things take in terms of Anne's writing-- not that I don't appreciate and respect her desire to be a mother and a wife, but the way she almost belittles her own writing as "fanciful" and "for children" frustrates me. I wish very much she could have done both (it would be very interesting to compare this book with "Betsy's Wedding" by Maud Hart Lovelace, which also details the early married life of a young woman who has had aspirations of being a writer and also wants to be a wife and mother).
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
What I most love about the later "Anne" books is really what I love about the ones that came before. They are about nothing more than the simple goings on of life, told about wonderfully developed characters in one of the most beautiful settings on earth. One cannot help but fall in love with the characters of Captain Jim and Cornelia Bennett and to wish and wish for the true happiness of dear Leslie Moore. For a long time I did not read the later Anne books, because I did not want her to grow up, but I love who Anne has become and to see how L.M. Montgomery follows through on the life of one of the world's most lovable characters. ( )
  GReader28 | Sep 7, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible