Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams (original 1917; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

4,376401,126 (4)87
Member:exlibrisgrace
Title:Anne's House of Dreams
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:McClelland & Stewart (1989), Hardcover
Tags:Montgomery

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (1917)

Recently added byj.alice, LoveOfMuffins4820, private library, Sarahfcc, CamrossNS, nancynova, jealex007, UGMCWC

The woods call to us with a hundred voices, but the sea has one only — a mighty voice that drowns our souls in its majestic music. The woods are human, but the sea is of the company of the archangels.

Anne’s House of Dreams marks the transition between the girl Anne Shirley and the woman Anne Blythe. In this one Anne and Gilbert are finally married and move to their new house on the seashore at Four Winds Point.

There Gilbert will begin his new practice as a doctor and they will meet new “kindred-spirits” - the unmarried Cornelia Bryant - and the keeper of the lighthouse, Captain Jim.

The sea plays a great part in the fifth book in the [Anne of Green Gables] series. It’s by the seashore that Anne’s dreams and hopes and memories are mingled together during her long walks - and where she meets the mysterious woman Leslie Moore with a tragic past.

Although everything evolves around Anne, it is really Leslie Moore who are the most interesting character in this novel - the the friendship between Leslie and Anne will change them both forever. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Mar 13, 2015 |
[Re-read 2013]
Not my favorite of the series, but I do love the details of life near the sea, Anne's home and garden, and Captain Jim (except for his comments about women and logic).

I do feel a bit uneasy with the direction things take in terms of Anne's writing-- not that I don't appreciate and respect her desire to be a mother and a wife, but the way she almost belittles her own writing as "fanciful" and "for children" frustrates me. I wish very much she could have done both (it would be very interesting to compare this book with "Betsy's Wedding" by Maud Hart Lovelace, which also details the early married life of a young woman who has had aspirations of being a writer and also wants to be a wife and mother).
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
What I most love about the later "Anne" books is really what I love about the ones that came before. They are about nothing more than the simple goings on of life, told about wonderfully developed characters in one of the most beautiful settings on earth. One cannot help but fall in love with the characters of Captain Jim and Cornelia Bennett and to wish and wish for the true happiness of dear Leslie Moore. For a long time I did not read the later Anne books, because I did not want her to grow up, but I love who Anne has become and to see how L.M. Montgomery follows through on the life of one of the world's most lovable characters. ( )
  GReader28 | Sep 7, 2014 |
Oh... I wouldn't say it's "sad" to see Anne grown up. It does give you a sense of nostalgia, comparing Anne Blythe to little Anne Shirley, but it isn't exactly sad, to me. It's life, and Anne moves right along with it. She laughs, she dreams, she dances around the beach when she thinks no one can see her...

She's Anne, as a woman, interpreted for young readers in another time. The Blythes are newlyweds, behaving as newlyweds behave, but of course Montgomery doesn't describe all of their physical affection in literal terms; this isn't a romance novel. But if Gilbert answers Anne, answers her without words, we get it, and I think it's lovely. Montgomery doesn't dwell on Anne's pregnancies, befitting literature meant to be read by children in the early 1900s. But we get it, when there's something Anne's longing for, even when she doesn't say it aloud. Little Anne Shirley longed to have a bosom friend, and Anne Blythe longs to have a child. She's still Anne.

Then, of course, Four Winds must be the most beautiful place on earth, while you're there. Montgomery never fails at painting nature. It's what makes her one of my favorite authors for good old-fashioned "comfort reading." Sure, it's a lot of sentiment on my part, but having a place to fully indulge that kind of sentiment is what makes books like this GOOD. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Anne books are kind of trashy. Just...largely concerned with flimsily set-up romances and the antics of "adorable" children. I was planning to reread the whole series so that I could accurately rate them on goodreads, but I don't think I can stomach more than the four I've read in the past couple days.

Well, at least in this one there aren't so many children. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walldén, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Laura in memory of the olden time
"Thanks be, I'm done with geometry, learning or teaching it," said Anne Shirley, a trifle vindictively, as she thumped a somewhat battered volume of Euclid into a big chest of books, banged the lid in triumph, and sat down upon it, looking at Diana Wright across the Green Gables garret, with gray eyes that were like a morning sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213180, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.

A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart -- and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

The original, unabridged text

A specially commissioned biography of L. M. Montgomery

A map of Prince Edward Island

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:41 -0400)

Anne of Green Gables, the orphan girl who lives on Prince Edward Island, experiences romance as she begins her years of young adulthood.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367993, 0141334908

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438626, 1909438634

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,258,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible