Leepike Ridge by N. D. Wilson

Leepike Ridge

by N. D. Wilson

A decent book - Goonies meets Indiana Jones meets Hatchet.
But
It never quite clicked for me.
I was always fine putting it down and never found myself anxious to pick it back up.
No particular reason...it just wasn't for me.

3 Stars ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
Lots of adventure. Readable story that boys will like. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
Gr 4-8Eleven-year-old Tom Hammond lives with his widowed mother in a windblown old house chained to the top of a gigantic rock. One night, unable to sleep, he heads down to the stream that borders their property, where he has left a heavy piece of refrigerator packing foam. What starts out as aimless drifting down quiet water turns deadly when Tom's foam slab feeds into the rougher mountain water and he is pulled under a rock, ending up in an underwater cavern. The secrets he discovers while attempting to find his way out of the mountain caves are surprising, yet seamlessly executed. While Leepike Ridge is primarily an adventure story involving murder, treachery, and betrayal, Wilson's rich imagination and his quirky characters are a true delight. Tom's feisty mother will not believe that her son has drowned despite the evidence to the contrary, and her run-ins with various townspeople are jewels in themselves. There are enough twists and turns in the plot to keep both seasoned and reluctant readers turning the pages. Think Mark Twain with a contemporary and utterly captivating twist.Kim Dare, Fairfax County Public Schools, VA Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Summary -
Tom's father is dead, and he and his mother Elizabeth live alone in an old house chained to the top of a rock above a river. After a frustrating dinner with his mother's suitor, Tom takes a midnight walk to clear his head. But what starts out as innocent fun and a floating nap on a piece of packing foam turns into a wild ride down the river, under and over a few waterfalls - and into the mountain itself! It's get out or die in the cavity of a mountain, and with a dead mean lying on the underground shore next to him, Tom's determination to live is fierce. And what he finds on his journey home may be worth much more than hoards of gold.

My thoughts -
G.E.N.I.U.S. Have I ever told you how I feel about this author? The six letters above sum it up nicely. Maybe even perfect. Yes, to me, his books are the greatest, and that's saying something, when I have sooo many favorites. I just can't get enough of his books...his level of awesomeness far surpasses that of all else.

This is my second time reading this book, and even now I know I'll never get tired of the story it holds. It's so amazing, from front to back. The writing is like, the best. EVER. The way Wilson views the world if phenomenal (and this is shown by the way he describes things).

This book will have you holding your breath the whole time, but not in the way you are probably thinking. Don't expect nonstop action; do expect other forms of intensity, such as mystery, intrigue, and suspense. Rationally trying to find your way out of the inside of the mountain, and how to live on the inside of a mountain for a few years, is extremely gripping, especially if you might be flooded in, and drown, and never get out until the water carries your dead body through its secret tunnels and into the light of day you died to find. That is the kind of suspense in store. I loved it; I hope you will, too.

This book as been compared to Robinson Crusoe, King Solomon's Mines, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The Odyssey. I agree. If you've read any of those and liked them, try this adventure. If you haven't read them, or maybe you did and didn't like them, still try this adventure. You never know...and I definitely wouldn't want you to miss out on the possibility of liking one of my favorite books EVER.

Character notes -
These characters (like all of N. D. Wilson's characters) are........genius. (Did you guess?? Haha!) They're tangible, wonderful friends (or enemies) who all have a past, a future, a life of their own.

Tom is one lovable kid. He did exactly what any 11-year-old would have done with a slab of packing foam - tried to float on it. He is consistent and smart and content with the world. He and his mother know each other well, and they both miss his father.

Reg, also, was awesome. I can't imagine the story without him. He is Tom's perfect counterpart in the story and he also helps to form the perfect ending for the story.

My favorite characters are (1. Elizabeth, Tom's mother. I could picture her walking through tall grasses, picking up her skirts, her hair in a messy bun; (2. Phil Leiodes. The bad guy. He added a lot to the story and made things a whole lot more complicated; and (3. Jeffrey Veatch. Stupid, selfish idiot that he was, I just can't help but laugh at his ridiculousness. I mean, when someone is described as having a saggy chest, chapped leeches for lips, and skinny-man fat beneath the chin, you can't help but laugh.

Story notes -
This story is rich. Simple and fresh, but so, so rich. It holds life and the desire to live; it holds friendships and mystery and a boy missing his father, wanting a father figure. It's about a mother's love, cheeky and selfish suitors, and a man who must pay the price for his crimes. All this piled into 250 pages, and still it's simple and easy to read and understand. It's amazing how Wilson does this.

I love the humor this story holds as well. In the face of Tom being lost under the mountain and the possibility of him never getting out, you have Jeffrey, who says and does the funniest things. The sarcastic undertone never fails to give me a giggle, even when things are intense. And after a giggle break, things go right back to being suspenseful.

Every scene is excellently executed and written, in every sense.

Summing it up -
Livening. Spirited, vivacious. I could smell the grass, feel the wind, and hear the rush of the river. I felt and saw complete darkness underground, and the heat of Reg's torch scorched my skin. I held my breath for more than a minute, swimming in pitch black water to get through cracks in the rock. I look forward to doing it all over and over and over again! Enjoy - feast! ( )
  yearningtoread | Nov 26, 2011 |
When I was young, I always wished I had a cave nearby, a la Tom Sawyer and others. I would retreat to this cave in order to be alone and to do Serious Solitude Thinking. Having no local caverns, I was forced to revert to burying a pen and a notebook in a plastic bag in the woods behind our house, which could be dug up in Solitude Moments should profound thoughts need to be jotted down. But the trees were rather sparse, and you could totally see the neighbor's backyard from my fortress, and it just generally sucked way more than a cave would have.

Now, had this recent jolly underground book been around, I might not have been so keen on a cave (although you'd think Tom Sawyer would have been a bit cautionary, too).

Leepike Ridge has a fast-moving river that acts all innocuous as it flows past your house and then SPEEDS UP and HEADS UNDERGROUND for a long time before bottoming out in a dank underground pond, complete with bodies from previous spelunkers and treasure-hunters. Naturally, the grouchy son of a possibly-remarrying mom would hop on to a piece of refrigerator foam and accidentally end up there, with no apparent way of ever getting out. Scary, suspenseful and fun, with a great archaeological-mystery, avenge-my-dead-dad subplot. But what a stupid cover, and not the world's greatest title either. Much better than expected.
  livebug | Sep 6, 2010 |

Eleven-year-old Thomas Hammond is in for the ride of his life when he's swept downstream and underground aboard a crumbling raft of Styrofoam. Washing up on a dark subterranean "beach," his only companions are an impulsive dog named Argus and a corpse, from which he takes a flashlight and an all-too-limited supply of batteries. What Tom finds under Leepike Ridge—a castaway, four graves, a tomb, and buried treasure—will answer questions he hadn't known to ask and change his life forever. Now, if he can only find his way home again. . . .

An original mix of Robinson Crusoe, King Solomon's Mines, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The Odyssey, N. D. Wilson's first book for young readers is a remarkable adventure, a journey though the dark of the grave and back out into the light.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

While his widowed mother continues to search for him, eleven-year-old Tom, presumed dead after drifting away down a river, finds himself trapped in a series of underground caves with another survivor and a dog, and pursued by murderous treasure-hunters.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible