Chocky by John Wyndham

Chocky (original 1968; edition 1970)

by John Wyndham

Member:Smigs
Title:Chocky
Authors:John Wyndham
Info:London : Penguin, 1970.
Collections:Your library, Cheez's books
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction

Chocky by John Wyndham (1968)

English (37)  Danish (1)  All languages (38)
3 stars. I liked it, but I liked Day of the Triffids better. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Book Description
At first they thought that Matthew was just going through a phase of talking to himself. And like many parents, they waited for him to grow out of it. But as time passed it became worse, not better. Matthew's conversations with himself grew more and more intense. It was like listening to one end of a telephone conversation while someone argued, cajoled and reasoned with another person you couldn't hear or see. Then Matthew began doing things he couldn't do before. Like counting in binary code mathematics. So he told them about Chocky, the person who lived in his head. Whoever or whatever Chocky was, it wasn't childish imagination. It was far too intelligent and frightening for that.

My Review
Chocky is a book about growing up, friendship, and the pain of saying goodbye. It is a touchy story that is good for all ages to read. John Wyndham is an excellent writer and the book held my interest until the end. I look forward to reading some more of his books. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
"Chocky" is a book about growing up, friendship, and the pain of saying goodbye. It is a touchy story that is good for all ages to read. John Wyndham is an excellent writer and the book held my interest until the end. I look forward to reading some more of his books. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is on the 1001 Books list, and is well worth reading. It's sci-fi classic from 1968, with an alien communicating/inhabiting a young boy, but without the book info, we wouldn't know that until the end of the book. At first, we would think Chocky was just an invisible friend, which I guess she is. We would wonder, like the parents, who Matthew is arguing with, why he is suddenly attempting new versions of math, and why his paintings have changed so much. I found the parents' interactions with Matthew and their search for answers more interesting than the final explanations from Chocky; you don't have to be a sci-fi lover to enjoy this. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
When eleven-year-old Matthew begins talking with an imaginary friend named Chocky, his parents are a little concerned. As the story progresses, it becomes apparent that Matthew really is hearing Chocky’s voice in his head and that Chocky is teaching him about advanced mathematics, biology, and art. His parents start consulting psychologists, and Chocky eventually reveals itself to be an alien scout from a distant planet.

I liked this short, easy-to-read novel. This would be a good choice for people who aren’t big fans of science fiction because 80% of the novel isn’t science fiction at all. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Wyndham, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lord, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schulz, Robert E.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in the spring of the year that Matthew reached twelve that I first became aware of Chocky.
Reality is relative. Devils, evil spirits, witches and so on become real enough to the people who believe in them. Just as God is to people who believe in Him. When people live their lives by their beliefs objective reality is almost irrelavant

Matthew’s parents are worried. At eleven, he’s much too old to have an imaginary friend, yet they find him talking to and arguing with a presence that even he admits is not physically there. This presence – Chocky – causes Matthew to ask difficult questions and say startling things: he speaks of complex mathematics and mocks human progress. Then, when Matthew does something incredible, it seems there is more than the imaginary about Chocky. Which is when others become interested and ask questions of their own: who is Chocky? And what could it want with an eleven-year-old boy?

A story of innocence and alien contact, Chocky is a sinister tale of manipulation and experimentation from afar.

Matthew's parents are worried. At eleven, he's much too old to have an imaginary friend, yet they find him talking to and arguing with a presence that even he admits is not physically there.

49 wanted4 pay3 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141042184, 014119149X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible