Letters to a Young Novelist by Mario Vargas…

Letters to a Young Novelist (1997)

by Mario Vargas Llosa

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
This short book by Mario Vargas Llosa is in the form of letters to an aspiring novelist. It covers all the standard elements of a novel like narration, plot, time, and characters. In the course of it, Vargas Llosa illuminatingly discusses a number of his favorite novels, from 19th Century classics like Madame Bovary to contemporary Latin American novelists. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
  jasonlf | Dec 18, 2010 |
In this short but entertaining and enlightening little book, Mario Vargas Llosa discusses the art of writing fiction. As the title states, it is divided up into 11 letters ostensibly written to an admiring young novelist.

This is not so much a "how-to" writing guide, with step-by-step instructions on improving one's craft and abilities. Though it addresses many of the same subjects (Style, Narration, Time, etc.) it still, to some degree, feels like it touches on something deeper, within the writer himself. It's hard for me to say exactly what that is at this point, several months after I finished reading the book, but suffice it to say, at the time I had a distinct feeling that I was not only reading about how to improve my writing, but myself as one who desires to write. In this regard, I found the book extremely encouraging. The style is warm, open, and friendly. No sense of arrogance, no put-downs, no bitter cynicism or sarcasm. Go live and love life and bring that to your writing. And more importantly: write, write, write and do not stop.

I enjoyed reading this book, not only because it was full of helpful advice, but because it made me feel like writing is something that I can do and have as much right to do as anyone else, including seasoned and published authors. It's easy to fall prey to the notion that we aren't as worthy of writing because we aren't as talented, practiced, capable or whatever as the greats but it isn't true. Anyone can write and we should all strive to improve ourselves and our writing. This book mentions several ways to do just that but there are many more. The best and only way to figure them out is to sit down and start punching out word after word after word.

If I knew an aspiring writer who needed some advice and encouragement, I would give him this book. Definitely recommended. ( )
1 vote 2below | Nov 27, 2010 |
Wise thoughts about reading and writing books by one of the twentieth-century's great novelists. This belongs on your shelf of books about books and keys to great writing from writers throughout both the ages and the world. The influences that made him a great novelist shine through as he passes his experience on to subsequent generations. ( )
  jwhenderson | Apr 23, 2010 |

Mario Vargas Llosaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
栄一, 木村Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Mario Vargas Llosa condenses a lifetime of writing, reading, and thought into an essential manual for aspiring writers. Drawing on the stories and novels of writers from around the globe—Borges, Bierce, Céline, Cortázar, Faulkner, Kafka, Robbe-Grillet—he lays bare the inner workings of fiction, all the while urging young novelists not to lose touch with the elemental urge to create. Conversational, eloquent, and effortlessly erudite, this little book is destined to be read and re-read by young writers, old writers, would-be writers, and all those with a stake in the world of letters.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:51 -0400)

"Creando un interlocutor epistolar imaginario, Vargas Llosa se dirige a un aspirante a novelista y reflexiona sobre el genero de la novela"--Handbook of Latin American Studies, v. 58.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible