Daughter of Witches by Patricia C. Wrede

Daughter of Witches (1983)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: Lyra (2), Lyra- Chronological (4)

Another great addition to the Lyra novels. I am not as fond of this main character as she is controlled by her environment and her society, but she does seem willing to overcome in the end. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
An easy read, just what I was looking for.
Ranira, a bonded girl, has the unwelcome attention of one of the High Priests in this restrictive country. Plus some foreigners are illegally staying at the inn where she slaves. They are all taken by guards with a likely fatal ending. With the use of the foreigners psychic powers and the local knowledge of Ranira's street urchin friend, they escape, but their problems are not yet solved. ( )
  juniperSun | Feb 3, 2018 |
Way, way, way, way to slow. I felt like I was wading through molasses to get the story. It was there, but barely. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Having thoroughly enjoyed Wrede’s Dealing with Dragon series, I was eager to read her other works. It did not disappoint. While missing the humor and tongue-in-cheek sarcasm of Dealing with Dragons, her ability to create worlds remains. A complex world set with rounded characters created a solid story. At times, it felt slightly like one was reading the script for a cheesy 80s fantasy flick, but that is hardly surprising considering the book was published in 1983. And I enjoyed those dreadful 80s movies, so it made no mind to me. This is one of her books set in the world of Lyra, and while they can be read in any order, this one references events that took place, I assuming, in Shadow Magic. This is a fine fantasy store, easily read in an afternoon, with fun characters and an intriguing plot. Worth the time to read! ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 3, 2016 |
I liked this book because it kept everything all together. I love fantasy, but at times it seems too much fantasy is spent traveling or dividing the group up. This book never got real far. Also had a nice use of magic and I enjoyed the characters though I wish they were built a little more. ( )
  DCavin | Sep 1, 2014 |

Patricia C. Wredeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goddard, AngelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veraldi, AntonioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun was already high in the sky as Ranira hurried across the bridge toward the Temple of Chaldon, cursing the innkeeper Lykken to whom she was bonded.

In the oppressive city of Drinn, a trio of magical strangers offers a servant girl the chance of a new life Drinn is not a safe place to be a witch. Ranira knows that better than most, for when she was just a child, the temple guards burned her parents at the stake for practicing magic. Now an indentured servant for a brutal innkeeper, she lives every day with the shame of her parents' alleged crime. There is no worse time to visit Drinn than during the Midwinter Festival, when the city gates are sealed so that no outsider can witness the temple's secret rituals. And at Ranira's inn, three guests have overstayed their welcome. Attempting to protect Ranira from her master's cruelty, the three reveal their magical powers and attract the attention of the temple guards. Now, to save her new friends from certain death, Ranira must unleash the power that cost her parents their lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,396,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible