Emily 2: Emily Climbs by L.M. Montgomery

Emily 2: Emily Climbs (original 1925; edition 1983)

by L.M. Montgomery

Member:deedeeinfj
Title:Emily 2: Emily Climbs
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:Starfire (1983), Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:young adult

Emily Climbs by L. M. Montgomery (1925)

I'm starting to see why so many people love Emily so much. She's no Anne Shirley, but she has a depth to her that is so real and relatable. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 28, 2017 |
Can't wait for the third book! Will Ilse ever learn discretion? Will Emily learn to be less of a snob? Will Dean learn the hard way or the easy way how creepy he's being? Will Teddy be ready before it's too late? Will Mrs. Kent get a grip?

Ok, that makes the series sound like a soap opera. But that's how Emily approaches life - though with maturity, and with Mr. Carpenter's mentorship, she's becoming a bit less melodramatic. It's wonderful to follow her childhood and youth through both 'objective' narrative and through her journals.

I cannot help but think that Montgomery is being arch - that she's not, as she claims, Emily's biographer, but rather that these are almost memoirs. But if one is able to forgive an author for being quaint & clever, one can enjoy such bits as this, when Emily is storming about some indignity and how she won't stand it:

'Do take a doughnut, pussy.' [said Cousin Jimmy].
This time Emily tood the doughnut. She might as well have some comfort. Now, you can't eat doughnuts and remain dramatic. Try it."

" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is a sequel to Emily of New Moon, and is followed by Emily's Quest.

In this book, Emily is fourteen years old, and has the opportunity to go to high school. This is set in Canada in the early part of the 20th century, when many people ended their formal education at this age; the nearest high school is seven miles from Emily's home.

There wasn't anything particularly exciting about this book, but I suspect it's somewhat autobiographical since Emily is an aspiring author. As a piece of social history, it's fascinating to see through the eyes of a teenager; I can only assume that much of Emily's experience was that of LM Montgomery herself.

So it was a pleasant light read, with a few moments of mild humour and enough of interest to keep me reading. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
While I love the Anne series, the Emily series hasn't struck as deep of a chord for me. I struggle to read this one because I kept losing interest. I still enjoyed it. I love Emily's backbone and her desire to pursue her writing even when the odds are against her. There are funny parts and sweet parts as she begins attending high school in the next town and is forced to put her writing on hold for awhile. She also realizes that marriage is on the mind of a few of the young men she knows. I will definitely read the final book in the series, but it doesn't hold quite the same place in my heart as Anne Shirley always will. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 31, 2015 |
Continuing my re-read, and continuing to love Emily and her world more than I did last time. Especially the bits about being a writer, and the choice she makes at the end of this book (though I am not sure if I think it was the best choice, but I loved that she had to make it). ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inha, I. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
"Pastor Felix"
in
affectionate appreciation
Emily Byrd Starr was alone in her room, in the old New Moon farmhouse at Blair Water, one stormy night in a February of the olden years before the world turned upside down.

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553262149, Mass Market Paperback)

Emily Starr was born with the desire to write. As  an orphan living on New Moon Farm, writing helped  her face the difficult, lonely times. But now all  her friends are going away to high school in  nearby Shrewsbury, and her old-fashioned, tyrannical  aunt Elizabeth will only let her go if she promises  to stop writng! All the same, this is the first  step in Emily's climb to success. Once in town,  Emily's activities set the Shrewsbury gossips  buzzing. But Emily and her friends are confident --  Ilse's a born actress, Teddy's set to be a great  artist, and roguish Perry has the makings of a brilliant  lawyer. When Emily has her poems published and  writes for the town newspaper, success seems to be on  its way -- and with it the first whispers of  romance. Then Emily is offered a fabulous opportunity,  and she must decide if she wants to change her  life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:51 -0400)

Emily Starr was born with the desire to write. As an orphan living on New Moon Farm, writing helped her face the difficult, lonely times. But now her old-fashioned, tyrannical Aunt Elizabeth will only let her go to high school if she promises to stop writing! All the same, this is the first step in Emily's climb to success. Once in town, Emily's activities set the town of Shrewsbury gossips buzzing. When Emily has her poems published and writes for the town newspaper, success seems to be on its way - and with it the first whispers of romance.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible