Emily's Quest-3 by L. M. Montgomery

Emily's Quest-3 (original 1927; edition 1927)

by L. M. Montgomery (Author)

Member:tjsjohanna
Title:Emily's Quest-3
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Toronto ; New York : Bantam Books, 1983, c1927.
Collections:Your library, Youth
Rating:*****
Tags:series, c:fiction, ambition, grief, love, @HR-WinR

Emily's Quest by L. M. Montgomery (1927)

English (24)  Finnish (1)  English (25)
Whew. I'm glad I read these, and glad I'm done. No more of Emily's confused passions; finally she's found her place as a remarkable adult. The thing that bothered me about Dean Priest resolved out appropriately, and we got to know Mrs. Kent better.

There are some nice observations & lines sprinkled through the melodrama: Most young men are *such* bores. They haven't lived long enough to learn that they are not the wonders to the world they are to their mothers."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This novel is third in the 'Emily' series, about what happens to Emily after she leaves High School. Perhaps more than the others in the series, this is character-driven; Emily matures realistically, and becomes a delightful young lady - with plenty of faults, which are frequently shown in her journal entries interspersed in the main narrative.

There are some unexpected developments along the way, and a climax which is perhaps a little over-dramatic, with events resolved satisfactorily (maybe too tidily for realism) afterwards. But on the whole I enjoyed it, and thought it a fitting end to this series. As with the others in the series, I wasn't particlarly moved or amused - unlike the 'Anne of Green Gables' series - but Emily still stands out as someone I would like to have known.

Really for teenagers or adults, to pass a quiet weekend or to allow a few hours of escapism. There's nothing in it that's inappropriate for younger children, but I suspect that most of them wouldn't find it very interesting. I would have liked it from about the age of 12 or 13. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Rich conclusion to a wonderful series. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
Continuing my re-read. I tried to set it aside but my completionist brain would not let me! I had a hard time with the excessive (IMO) use of misunderstandings to create plot, and Teddy just never comes fully alive to me (especially compared to Dean, who has his faults, certainly, but is at least more *interesting*). But I did enjoy the natural descriptions and observations of the writing life, and I very much like Emily herself.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This cover is hilarious: Emily's quest leads her to the beach, where she is clearly at a loss. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Järventaus-Aav, LaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"No more cambric tea" had Emily Bird Starr written in her diary when she had come to New Moon from Shrewsbury, with her high school days behind her and immortality before her.

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

Emily knows she's going to be a great writer.  She also knows that she and her childhood sweetheart, Teddy Kent, will conquer the world together.  But when Teddy leaves home to pursue his goal to become an artist at the School of Design in Montreal, Emily's world collapses.  With Teddy gone, Emily agrees to marry a man she doesn't love ... as she tries to banish all thoughts of Teddy.  In her heart, Emily must search for what being a writer really means....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

Emily knows she's going to be a great writer. She also knows that she and her childhood sweetheart, Teddy Kent, will conquer the world together. But when Teddy leaves home to pursue his goal of becoming an artist at the School of Design in Montreal, Emily's world collapses. With Teddy gone, Emily agrees to marry a man she doesn't love ... as she tries to banish all thoughts of Teddy. In her heart, Emily must search for what being a writer really means.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,658,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible