Emily's Quest-3 by L. M. Montgomery

Emily's Quest-3 (original 1927; edition 1927)

by L. M. Montgomery

Title:Emily's Quest-3
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Toronto ; New York : Bantam Books, 1983, c1927.
Collections:Your library, Youth
Tags:series, c:fiction, ambition, grief, love, @HR-WinR

Emily's Quest by L. M. Montgomery (1927)

English (22)  Finnish (1)  All languages (23)
Rich conclusion to a wonderful series. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
Continuing my re-read. I tried to set it aside but my completionist brain would not let me! I had a hard time with the excessive (IMO) use of misunderstandings to create plot, and Teddy just never comes fully alive to me (especially compared to Dean, who has his faults, certainly, but is at least more *interesting*). But I did enjoy the natural descriptions and observations of the writing life, and I very much like Emily herself.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This cover is hilarious: Emily's quest leads her to the beach, where she is clearly at a loss. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
The third and final installment of L.M. Montgomery's series of books devoted to the adventures of aspiring writer Emily Byrd Starr - begun in Emily of New Moon, and continued in Emily Climbs - Emily's Quest sometimes reads like a Prince Edward Island soap-opera, with all the romantic twists and turns implicit in such a description. The most mature of the three novels, it follows its eponymous heroine through a number of years at New Moon, as she becomes engaged, then unengaged, realizes her true love, becomes estranged from him (and watches as he prepares to wed another), all while spreading her literary wings, and achieving her first true success as an author...

But despite the sense of melodrama that sometimes makes itself felt, this novel still has the power to affect me deeply, involving me emotionally in Emily's turbulent journey through her young adult years. Although many of my fellow readers, particularly in our discussions over at the Kindred Spirits Book Club to which I belong, have expressed a distaste for the character of Dean Priest, citing his manipulative and possessive behavior, and his dishonesty regarding Emily's writing, I actually find him a moving character. His faults are considerable, but something about his lonely life - enriched by knowledge and impoverished by cynicism - always speaks to my heart. Given that this is so, I have always thought that Montgomery demonstrated great insight and wisdom in refraining from emulating that overused trope - so popular in sentimental novels - of the young innocent who redeems the world-weary cynic. That alone would make this book a worthwhile reading experience for me, although I found many other qualities to admire.

Montgomery's descriptions of her beloved Prince Edward Island are as lush as ever, with none of the purple prose that sometimes appeared in Emily of New Moon, and her cast of characters, from the Murrays of New Moon to the seemingly remote Ilse and Teddy, are well drawn. I did wish that Emily's three childhood friends appeared more often, but perhaps that too is a sign of a well-crafted narrative. After all, Emily is growing up, and change must come. The fact that the reader shares her wistful sense of things not turning out quite as expected - as in the bittersweet scene in which she reads her letter to herself at twenty-four, written when she was fourteen - is another testament to Montgomery's powers as a writer.

All in all, I am glad to report that Emily's Quest (along with the entire Emily Trilogy) has withstood the test of time, appealing as much to my adult self as it did to the adolescent reader of yesteryear. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | May 27, 2013 |
A stronger book than, Emily Climbs, this novel sees Emily on the cusp of adulthood and looking for love. Instead, she finds Dean Priest, ready to build a future with her, but not as a writer. Still Dean is fond of her, and takes excellent care of her, but what of Teddy? Can it be that Teddy really cares for Ilse?

I rather liked this book, but the ending was super abrupt. As with the first book, I'd say great for die-hard Anne fans. ( )
  ErlangerFactionless | Apr 23, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järventaus-Aav, LaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"No more cambric tea" had Emily Bird Starr written in her diary when she had come to New Moon from Shrewsbury, with her high school days behind her and immortality before her.

Emily knows she's going to be a great writer.  She also knows that she and her childhood sweetheart, Teddy Kent, will conquer the world together.  But when Teddy leaves home to pursue his goal to become an artist at the School of Design in Montreal, Emily's world collapses.  With Teddy gone, Emily agrees to marry a man she doesn't love ... as she tries to banish all thoughts of Teddy.  In her heart, Emily must search for what being a writer really means....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

Emily knows she's going to be a great writer. She also knows that she and her childhood sweetheart, Teddy Kent, will conquer the world together. But when Teddy leaves home to pursue his goal of becoming an artist at the School of Design in Montreal, Emily's world collapses. With Teddy gone, Emily agrees to marry a man she doesn't love ... as she tries to banish all thoughts of Teddy. In her heart, Emily must search for what being a writer really means.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,967,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible