Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L. Beach

Run Silent, Run Deep (1955)

by Edward L. Beach

This was an excellent read, and totally unlike the movie of which I am extremely fond!

The author was obviously a veteran of military service, as there is a convincing ring of authenticity throughout this book. However, it was never boring, never dry, or even sensational, just factual. I liked the characters, and the brief yet interesting descriptions of the equipment and duties of the men assigned to the submarine service. It's also not a "gung ho!" pro-military perspective, nor anti-military, it just IS.

I stayed up past 1:00am in order to finish it, and I don't give up my sleep for just any book. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | May 5, 2015 |
What started it out as a rather simplistic sanitized tale of submarine warfare actually surprised me. That the sub commander basically admits to the cold-blooded murder of Japanese sailors took me by surprise. A reasonably good read. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Not a bad book for those people who are into the history and / or stories about submarines in combat. The beginning of the book is slow in my opinion but once they get into the Pacific it is on! I must admit that 2/3 of the way through the book I guessed exactly how it would end but never guessed how dramatic it would be. Well worth the time to read it. ( )
  Loptsson | Oct 7, 2009 |
An absolute classic! The only book on this topic that has come close is Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October. ( )
  RicDay | Feb 1, 2009 |
If you liked the movie you'll love the book. The story starts a year before we are in the war. and goes though their training and several war patrols. Edward Beach was a submarine skipper in WWII and wrote two good seaquals to this book.
"Dust on the Ocean" and "The Cold Sea" ( )
  usnmm2 | Mar 22, 2007 |
To the men of our submarine forces in the Atlantic and the Pacific who are today driving their boats down under the sea
My name is Edward G. Richardson and I am a Commander in the Navy, skipper of the submarine Eel.

The classic submarine novel of World War II.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

The realities of submarine warfare during World War II in the Pacific is centered around two submarine officers who are destined to clash with each other from the first moment they meet.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible