Heir Of Sea And Fire by Patricia Mckillip

Heir Of Sea And Fire (original 1977; edition 1979)

by Patricia Mckillip

Title:Heir Of Sea And Fire
Authors:Patricia Mckillip
Info:Futura (1979), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Booktown(08), Fantasy

Heir of Sea and Fire by Patricia A. McKillip (1977)

Recently added bykfeete, private library, waclements7, ScottDDanielson, k1bollerman

whitespiraldancer | Sep 14, 2013 |
The second book of a great 3 book fantasy series. Unlike many series, this second book is just as good as the first, if not a little better. The action and characters shift to other parts, but this was still fascinating. McKillip does an excellent job of drawing you in and making her world an entertaining place. Definitely not standard fantasy, but still some of the best ( )
  Karlstar | Apr 4, 2013 |
Heir of Sea and Fire is the second book of the Riddle-Master Trilogy, and I liked it even more than the first book, The Riddle-Master of Hed. The trilogy was recommended on the "Seven-League Shelf" of the "cream" of the fantasy genre. It's fairly standard high-fantasy in being set in a quasi-medieval or renaissance setting of lords and swords with shapeshifters, wizards and ghosts. Morgon of Hed is a Farmer Prince and Riddle-master. In the first book we learn that he'd won a riddle-game that won him a crown. It also wins him the hand of Raederle, whose father vowed her to the winner of the riddle-game. In the previous book besides a few mentions, we only see her in a brief memory of Morgon.

In this book she comes into her own, and the story is centered on her. Morgon has seemingly disappeared, and Raederle is determined to go after him. In that quest she learns as much about her own identity and powers as about what has happened to Morgon. She's a resolute, determined and resourceful character and I thought this was a better ride than the first book, and it ended on a more satisfying note, even if there's certainly enough left hanging to make a reader eager to read the conclusion, Harper in the Wind. ( )
2 vote LisaMaria_C | Feb 17, 2012 |
I love the Riddle-Master trilogy; it is beautifully written, sweet and funny, heart-breaking and heart-warming, and still one of my all-time favorites. I am re-reading the series for the umpteenth time, but it's so worthwhile; I am discovering how funny it is, when the first time, as a teenager, I read it so earnestly. I've just re-read 'Heir of Sea and Fire', the sequel to 'The Riddle-Master of Hed', and the writing still evokes a wistfulness in me.

The series still tugs on my heart-strings. I love the interplay between characters, especially family members, and the juxtaposition of ethereal magic against every-day farm concerns. And the descriptions are delicious : coloured sails collapse like 'weary sighs' as boats come into harbour.

As a child, Raederle was promised, by her father, the King of An, to whoever recovered the long-lost crown of An. Morgon, Prince of Hed, did so, but has been lost on a journey to the Northern Wastes. Raederle determines to journey there herself, accompanied by the land-heirs of other kingdoms. Along the way, she makes discoveries about events and about her heritage that have ominous repercussions for the realm.
1 vote humouress | Dec 26, 2011 |

Patricia A. McKillipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet,DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In spring, three things came invariably to the house of the King of An: the year's first shipment of Herun wine, the lords of the Three Portions for the spring council, and an argument.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345288823, Mass Market Paperback)

By the vow of her father and her own desire, Raederle was pledged to Morgon, Riddle-Master of Hed. But a year had passed since Morgon disappeared on his search for the High One at Erlenstar Mountain, and rumors claimed he was dead.
Raederle set out to learn the truth for herself, though her small gift of magic seemed too slight for the perils she must face. The quest led through strange lands and dangerous adventures. Only her growing powers enabled her at last to reach Erlenstar Mountain. And there she discovered what she could not bear to accept.
Accompanied by Deth, the High One's Harper, she fled. And behind them came a pursuer whose name was Morgon, bent on executing a grim destiny upon Raederle and Deth.
Her only hope lay in summoning the Hosts of the Dead, led by the King whose skull she bore . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

When Morgon, Prince of Hed, fails to return from his journey to the High One, his fiancee, accompanied by his sister and a friend, sets out to find him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible