Heir Of Sea And Fire by Patricia Mckillip

Heir Of Sea And Fire (original 1977; edition 1979)

by Patricia Mckillip

Member:justjim
Title:Heir Of Sea And Fire
Authors:Patricia Mckillip
Info:Futura (1979), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Booktown(08), Fantasy

Heir of Sea and Fire by Patricia A. McKillip (1977)

When Raederle of An receives some distressing news, she sets out on a quest that will take her far from home and back again. Along the way, she learns many things about her own power, where it comes from and what it can do.

While I appreciated many things about this book, including its many strong female characters, I never found it particularly compelling. I also found more of the dreamy abstraction that I associate with McKillip's writing in this book, which made for slow going when I hit those parts. I didn't hate it, but I don't think it's one I'll revisit, and I'm not sure yet if I will read the third book in the trilogy. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 5, 2017 |
I don't remember much about it, and I just finished it today. That says something, not good. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
All of these years later, it's hard to remember that this was one of the few fantasy books that featured a female protagonist who was able to take care of herself.

The book starts with Raederle a year after meeting Morgon setting off on a journey to find him. She already knows some simple spells, such as making fire start in her palm or a tangle of thread become a tangle in a path. Her journeys and meeting of Morgon's friends help develop her talents to the point that she is able to call the dead kings of Anuin.

Her family is realistic and well-formatted, and Morgon's kid sister would be a fun person to share in an adventure. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
HEIR OF SEA AND FIRE (RIDDLE-MASTER OF HED, NO 2) by PATRICIA A. MCKILLIP (1978)
  whitespiraldancer | Sep 14, 2013 |

Patricia A. McKillipprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sweet,DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In spring, three things came invariably to the house of the King of An: the year's first shipment of Herun wine, the lords of the Three Portions for the spring council, and an argument.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345288823, Mass Market Paperback)

By the vow of her father and her own desire, Raederle was pledged to Morgon, Riddle-Master of Hed. But a year had passed since Morgon disappeared on his search for the High One at Erlenstar Mountain, and rumors claimed he was dead.
Raederle set out to learn the truth for herself, though her small gift of magic seemed too slight for the perils she must face. The quest led through strange lands and dangerous adventures. Only her growing powers enabled her at last to reach Erlenstar Mountain. And there she discovered what she could not bear to accept.
Accompanied by Deth, the High One's Harper, she fled. And behind them came a pursuer whose name was Morgon, bent on executing a grim destiny upon Raederle and Deth.
Her only hope lay in summoning the Hosts of the Dead, led by the King whose skull she bore . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

When Morgon, Prince of Hed, fails to return from his journey to the High One, his fiancee, accompanied by his sister and a friend, sets out to find him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,777,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible