How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

How to Eat Fried Worms (original 1973; edition 2006)

by Thomas Rockwell

Member:RavenousReaders
Title:How to Eat Fried Worms
Authors:Thomas Rockwell
Info:Yearling (2006), Paperback, 128 pages
Tags:pcpl, pima county public library, book club, child, bets, humor,

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell (1973)

I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. Billy makes a bet with his friends, Alan and Joe, worth fifty dollars. His friends bet hims that he can't eat 15 worms in 15 days. With the help of his family and friend Tom, Billy completes the challenge by staying a step ahead of their tricks and creating new recipes to eat the worms that Billy winds up enjoying. I did not like that the story includes the consumption of real, live worms but I think the plot of this book will be very entertaining to fourth and fifth graders. The chapters are short and there are many picture throughout, which help young readers transition to longer chapter books. I like how the premise of this book, although disgusting, is very entertaining to children and will definitely grab their attention and enjoy reading this book. The characters in this book are very believable and can be relatable to children. Overall I thought this was a very entertaining book, and enjoyed reading it.
  Sierra_Lawson | Nov 1, 2016 |
I loved reading this book over and over as a kid. I don't know what it was about the story but I loved it. When my daughter was the age when I read it, I had her read it too and she really enjoyed it. One of my favorite memories of my childhood was lying under a shade tree in the yard on a blanket reading and this book was one of them. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Read this book as a kid - good story for upper Elementary school, especially boys who like dares, gross things, and are curious what will happen. Girls can enjoy too as it's a different story that doesn't take itself seriously. They can get creative with the worms too - yech ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I have trouble believing this is so old. I read it several times, in my childhood and as a young adult. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
To win a bet, Billy must eat fifteen worms in fifteen days.
  sherryearly | Jul 25, 2015 |
Hey, Tom! Where were you last night?
Doctor A.C. Roosevelt of Hyde Park, New York, reports that 10% of the boys studied reported no ill effects except induced paralysis of the lower fulmar region; 40% reported abdominal cramping, triple vision (lasting from two to three years and impacting school performance) and extreme lussitude...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440421853, Paperback)

How to Eat Fried Worms has happily repulsed children since its original publication in 1973. Now youngsters can experience this classic story in a whole new yucky way, by listening to it on audiocassette. Narrator Jay O. Sanders gives extra kick and vitality to this already lively yarn. He throws himself into the role of a 10-year-old boy, facing the most revolting bet of his life. Billy must eat 15 worms in 15 days--but the reward will be worth it: $50 for a shiny new minibike. Luckily, Billy's friends cook up these fat juicy grubs in a variety of appetizing ways--drenched in ketchup and mustard, fried in butter and cornmeal, and the pièce de résistance, a Whizband Worm Delight (an ice-cream worm cake). Sanders derives obvious pleasure from reading (and singing) out loud the hilarious rhymes and childish chants concocted from the mind of the book's author, Thomas Rockwell.

"Trout, Salmon, flounder, perch,
I'll ride my minibike into church.
Dace, tuna, haddock, trout,
Wait'll you hear the minister shout."

How to Eat Fried Worms is a ghastly gastronomical treat that will dazzle young listeners. (Running time: two hours, two cassettes) --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:25 -0400)

Two boys set out to prove that worms can make a delicious meal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,793,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible