In My Wildest Dreams by Christina Dodd

In My Wildest Dreams

by Christina Dodd

In My Wildest Dreams
2 Stars

Dodd's books are usually very entertaining both in terms of plot, character and dialogue but this is a huge disappointment.

The plot is a copy of the movie "Sabrina" almost scene for scene and word for word and demonstrates a complete lack of imagination and originality.

Dodd can do better. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Celeste Milford has returned to England as a governess at Blythe Hall, the estate where she grew up as the head gardener's daughter. Celeste's formal training and time abroad working in Paris and Russia have turned her into a graceful and charming woman, factors she hopes will be enough to finally attract the attention of Ellery Throckmorton, the younger son whom she's loved since her teens. But Ellery's engagement means great financial and social advancement for the Throckmortons and his elder brother, Garrick, will do anything to prevent Celeste breaking the attachment including seduce her himself.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on LT, this is basically a Victorian riff on the plot of Sabrina (a favourite film of mine). As a result, I utterly enjoyed it. Dodd adds a few twists of her own to the plot including children and a spy ring to keep things interesting. My only complaint is that the novel is terrible at depicting actual consent (likely a result of its age as the novel was published in 2001). I liked the writing well enough to try others in the series at some point but I'm not sure yet whether Dodd will become a go to author when I want an historical romance. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 8, 2017 |
There are lots of eye opening things in this book. I had no idea that the severely wound and sick were treated so poorly. I have to wonder when keeping the sickroom clean and bright and fresh came to be the standard instead of the exception. I had also had not thought about how one fed those that were unconscious and unable to drink. I will have to search for when IV’s came into practice. I am sure that was the turning point for saving people that died from being unable to eat or drink. There is also more spying and violence in this book. I have to wonder if spying was really so deadly during this time period. I am sure it was because it isn’t much better today.

Now story picks up on a discussion from “IN MY WILDEST DREAMS”. There was an explosion that killed one man and wounded the other. The wounded man was on his way back to England but he wasn't expected to live. This is the story of that man and the woman that will make him finally know what it is like to love one woman.

I admired Enid MacLean. She has made a life for herself after so much adversity. She is a successful woman that knows what she wants and is willing to try to make that dream a reality, as long as it doesn't include her worthless husband. While she is illegitimate and an orphan she has done what she had to do to hurdle those obstacles. Her birth father did provide an education which has allowed her to be a nurse/companion. There is so much to admire about this woman. She never complains. She is strong, intelligent and compassionate. Her only fault is that she thinks that no one can love her forever and ever.

Kiernan MacLean is the MacLean in very way. He is intelligent, honorable, courageous, compassionate and arrogant. He leads his people with strength and understanding. However he is a man of his time and environment. He isn't politically correct or afraid to take charge and fix a problem. When he wakes after the accident he has lost his memory and he is confused when Enid tells him how he deserted her and was scoundrel of mammoth proportions. Kiernan is all Alpha male and he isn't afraid the show Enid that he is willing to love her with all that he is or will ever have. He doesn’t handle the relationship well in the beginning and must learn that sometimes you have to let go in order to get what you want.

This was a quick read. You just have to know what is going to happen next. When is Kiernan going to recover his memory? Who is trying to kill him and Enid? Why are they trying to kill them? What is it that Kiernan knows that is so damning? The villain is the story was a surprise, all of them. Ms. Dodd does and wonderful job of dealing with amnesia and how it can effect someone. She writes some of the best characters even those that are secondary. You want to know what happened to everyone and are disappointed when that doesn't happen. This is a wonderful book and I look forward to read the rest of this series. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jul 11, 2013 |
Celeste Milford has recently returned home from Paris, where she plans on capturing Ellery Throckmorton for her own, whom she has loved. However there is a hitch in that plan, Ellery is engaged to another, so coming as the governess for both Ellery's illegiitimate daughter, and his brother Garrick's daughter as well. Garrick Throckmorton knows that the wedding between his brother and Hyacinth must go through. So when his brother becomes enamored with the beautiful and charming Celeste, he knows he must put a stop to it. Knowing that his brother would never listen to logic or reason, he plans a way to seperate them. So that Ellery can focus on his fiancee and Garrick plans on seducing Celeste in hoping to turn her focus from his brother to himself. So Garrick goes about preventing his brother to be up and about for a few days, hoping to cool his ardor for Celeste. Meanwhile, Garrick goes about with Celeste trying to tempt her his way and into his bed. Even though Celeste thinks she is in love with Ellery, there is something to be said about the desire that swells up between herself and Garrick, whom she finds herself sensually attracted to, one she can't deny.

As much as I enjoyed this one, it had so many similarities to the Movie, Sabrina. If you think about it the plot and what happens between both couples are very familiar. However there is a bit of espionage in this one, that added a sense of mystery and intrigue to the reader. So with that twist, it made it a bit different, however I seemed to be able to know what was going to happen, which kinda ruined the effect for me. I did love the love scenes between Garrick and Celeste, and the witty byplay that goes between the two. There were definitely some laughs, that lightened my mood throughout the book. So even though I enjoyed reading this one, it isn't one of my favorites of Christina Dodd though. Probably because I could almost predict what was going to happen next, and that really is no fun in a book that one has never read before. I will say that this one was very tantalizing and a enjoyable one. ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 25, 2013 |
Yes, I too love Sabrina and can't understand why Dodd does not give credit somewhere at some point to the originators of the plot and characters. She could have done so much more with this.
That said, it's worth reading. ( )
  dianaleez | Feb 28, 2009 |

Amazon.com Review

Beautiful 17-year-old Celeste Milford is only the gardener's daughter, but she falls madly in love with the younger brother of the very rich and powerful Garrick Throckmorton the Third. Lady Bucknell, proprietress of the Distinguished Academy of Governesses and a family friend, assesses the hopeless situation and graciously offers to enroll and train Celeste as a governess at her academy. So Celeste leaves for London and Paris, protesting loudly.

Four years later, Celeste returns to Blythe Hall a poised, well-traveled, independent woman experienced with the intrigues of politics after a stint as governess to the children of the Russian ambassador. Hired by Garrick to be governess to his motherless daughter and niece, Celeste has a not-so-hidden agenda, for she plans to charm Ellery Throckmorton away from his fiancé. Garrick has no intention of letting Celeste's plans come to fruition and sets out to monopolize her time and seduce her away from thoughts of Ellery. Much to his surprise, Celeste enchants him, fills him with lust, and destroys his famous self-control. Celeste is equally stunned to find herself drawn to Garrick--and she begins to see Ellery in a less flattering light. But Garrick doesn't believe in love, and when Celeste's appeal threatens to overwhelm him, he's determined to send her back to Paris. Before he can do so, however, he'll have to resolve the question of who's leaking information about his spy activities. Could it be Celeste? And just how does she know so much about spying, anyway?

In My Wildest Dreams is author Christina Dodd's historical homage to the classic film Sabrina. Dodd gives the story a unique twist with a heroine more sophisticated and wise than Sabrina and a hero more forceful than scheming. Readers also get witty dialogue, a colorful English setting, and very sexy love scenes in this well-written and thoroughly delightful romance. --Lois Faye Dyer

From Publishers Weekly

With this delicious, witty confection, Dodd adds another early Victorian episode to her Governess Brides series and forsakes the angst that gave her earlier Governess titles (Rules of Attraction, etc.) a bitter flavor. Widower Garrick Throckmorton is a careful man with a clear plan for the upcoming week: get his handsome, irresponsible brother, Ellery, engaged to a wealthy heiress; establish the highly accomplished new governess, Celeste, in his nursery; and uncover the mole in his spy network who is leaking English secrets to the Russians. Celeste, the most benign-seeming item on Garrick's agenda, proves to be the sharpest thorn in his side when Ellery falls for the laughing beauty. To safeguard Ellery's impending nuptials, Garrick selflessly decides to seduce Celeste, but he ends up spinning a sensuous web in which he snares himself. Spunky and self-assured, Celeste fleshes out to be a genuine romantic heroine, and Garrick's self-discovery nicely parallels her own realization that she's falling for the supposedly less handsome and more stodgy brother. Supporting characters such as Garrick's mother, an ex-spymaster herself, Celeste's dour father and Ellery's determined fianc‚e add spicy humor to this delectable mix. (Oct.)Forecast: Reminiscent of the classic movie Sabrina, this heartwarming Victorian-era treatment will please Dodd's many fans. A three-city author tour and positive word-of-mouth will help this satisfying story sell its 550,000 first printing.

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380819627, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:59 -0400)

After the Distinguished Academy of Governesses instills in her a refinement that would make her an acceptable match for Ellery, her childhood crush, Celeste's plans are thwarted by his formidable older brother, Garrick Throckmorton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible